Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trying to remove these dots from my web page

Options
  • 25-07-2017 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

Hello, I design my own web page for my business (I know its a very basic and rubbish webpage and nothing fancy but it does what i want it to do) however I have these 'dots' (like bullet dots) showing when I view the page in Firefox and Chrome and I cannot understand why and how to get rid of them. I have even gone into the raw HTML code on index.HTML and cannot see them - anyone got any idea how I can remove them and even why they are there? - I produced it with the (now defunct) microsoft expression web 4 program.

http://www.pcrepairs.x10host.com/

20374215_1601471093216994_8618926355798174554_n.jpg?oh=d106e6c7103937d07f4f78593409ee8b&oe=59EBBC04

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

You have an unordered list in there for some reason

[HTML]<ul>
    <li></li>
    </ul>

[/HTML]

The default CSS for a list gives it those dots.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

You have an unordered list in there for some reason

[HTML]<ul>
    <li></li>
    </ul>

[/HTML]The default CSS for a list gives it those dots.

ah right thanks, I am not heavily into HTML code but i shall go into the index.html and look for the <ul> tags - what shall I do when I find them? - remove the whole tag shall I?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

How are you doing this? The source is a bit of a disaster but you could try removing the <ul> </ul> and <li> </li> tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fear corcaigh

Source code needs a serious rewrite, try the above suggestion of removing the list elements, if it causes other issues you could do a quick hack

Delete the first UL element ( looks like its not used) and change the second one to this

<ul style="list-style: none;">

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

In the HTML, remove any of the following...

<ul>
    </ul>
    <li>
    </li>

But really, do the internet a favour and delete it all!! Surely a facebook page is all you need?

• Advertisement

Brilliant, thank you all - that sorted it getting rid of the <ul> </ul> and <li> </li> Tags - many thanks :)

another small question if I may and maybe its related some way (ie bad html code)? . in firefox a line is going across at the banner at the top , but that line doesnt seem to show if I open the website in chrome :

20258518_1601565736540863_7377976127829294072_n.jpg?oh=f59f703887f845f81296d201f6cf39d7&oe=5A055F6B

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

If you open it in IE, there are two white spaces, one above "Laptop & Desktop Repair" and one below.

I think the issue is that the span the text is in isn't tall enough in firefox and IE for some reason. so it exposes the span behind it. The span directly behind it has a white background instead of blue.

Here, this is the span with the text in it, it has a blue background, as you can see circled

423368.PNG

Two blocks up has a white background

423369.PNG

If I change it to black, it's obvious what's happening

423370.PNG

And two spans above that (why are there so many nested spans?), there's another span with a different background again

423371.PNG

The quick fix is to change them all to the same colour, but you could really do with scrapping the whole thing and starting again...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Wow

Andy I have to ask, what are you writing your web pages in for it to generate such massively bloated html?

It looks like something MS Word would belch out.

How do I view the terms and conditions? I'm agreeing to them by using the site, but I can't seem to read them anywhere :P

• Advertisement

I produced it with the (now defunct) microsoft expression web 4 program.

Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

pillphil wrote: »
    If you open it in IE, there are two white spaces, one above "Laptop & Desktop Repair" and one below.

I think the issue is that the span the text is in isn't tall enough in firefox and IE for some reason. so it exposes the span behind it. The span directly behind it has a white background instead of blue.

Here, this is the span with the text in it, it has a blue background, as you can see circled

423368.PNG

Two blocks up has a white background

423369.PNG

If I change it to black, it's obvious what's happening

423370.PNG

And two spans above that (why are there so many nested spans?), there's another span with a different background again

423371.PNG

The quick fix is to change them all to the same colour, but you could really do with scrapping the whole thing and starting again...

Thanks, i never even thought to open it up in IE :o

pillphil wrote: »
    Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

sorry no compute - what message?

Graham wrote: »
    Wow

Andy I have to ask, what are you writing your web pages in for it to generate such massively bloated html?

It looks like something MS Word would belch out.

Microsoft Expression Web 4 - i wonder how much dreamweaver would cost - is it easy to use? , would that be too over the top for my basic needs? - I have used front page express before, that was OK

Haha just been reading the negative views on marquee and how people hate it, I suppose i should change that soon - but i dont get this jquery alternative thing or css or javascript

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Haha just been reading the negative views on marquee and how people hate it, I suppose i should change that soon - but i dont get this jquery alternative thing or css or javascript

you should at least learn some css ,its really helpful and its easy

Thanks, i never even thought to open it up in IE :o

I just didn't have firefox to test it so I used IE.
    sorry no compute - what message?

That was for Graham, needed some text to be able to post
    Microsoft Expression Web 4 - i wonder how much dreamweaver would cost - is it easy to use? , would that be too over the top for my basic needs? - I have used front page express before, that was OK

Maybe look at a html and css tutorial from freecodecamp or code academy? Or somewhere else. There's nothing overly complicated on your site that would need anything too complex.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's quite clear why it's defunct.

If you're looking for something quick and easy, have a look at something like Pinegrow, it produces reasonably clean html/css and before long you'll be able to understand both.

• Administrators Posts: 53,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If this is your actual business then I'd recommend just forking out the tenner a month for something like squarespace instead of doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

awec wrote: »
    squarespace.

This ^^^

Even (dare I say it) Wix would be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Is it just a static website? i.e. no online store etc?

I'll design a basic website (HTML and CSS) for you for nothing. I've done it in college and could do with the practice.

PM me if interested.

Edit to say, it may be basic but it'll look decent.

Wheety wrote: »
    Is it just a static website? i.e. no online store etc?

I'll design a basic website (HTML and CSS) for you for nothing. I've done it in college and could do with the practice.

PM me if interested.

Edit to say, it may be basic but it'll look decent.

cheers thats very decent of you, leave it with me and I will get back to you. I suppose I should be learning this myself though so I am going to have a read up on css and see how difficult it is. I quite like the designing part myself, but only with web designing programs , i couldnt be dealing totally with HTML on its own

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I find you have more control when using HTML and CSS direct. For simpler websites anyway.

I think Dreamweaver is the best application for designing more complex websites though. It's expensive though. I'm sure someone here would know of a free alternative.

Advertisement