Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Null and void" car insurance cancellation letter

Options
  • 25-07-2017 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,
    I took car insurance last week with one of the big companies. They asked how many years driving experience I had, giving only "0", "1", "2 years" as options.
    I have 9 months experience so I wrote "1 year"
    I sent off my documents to be checked.
    They came back this morning to say that my policy was invalid and that with less than 1 year experience I am outside their acceptance criteria.
    But the real problem is seemingly - they insist on sending a registered letter stating that "they" cancelled my policy.
    Would declaring this letter make me uninsurable in the future? Would declaring this letter not be a problem as it is a minor issue? Would the regulator help? would i be mad to be declaring this?
    Thanks a lot for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bayner555

was online

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 117 ✭✭alig123aileen

hi there this is a typical reaction by high handed insurers but there are ways around this. Get the e mail address from them for complaints and say you want to take your case to the insurance ombudsman (it won't come to this). Send an email outlining the options on the drop down menu you code and ask them to reinstate your policy if they can't do it at the same provide to send you the letter needed for ombudsman. In the unlikely event they don't reinstate or if they try to increase your premium go to another insurer and tell them what happened they will take it on. Happy to help if you send me a PM. Good luck

hi there this is a typical reaction by high handed insurers but there are ways around this. Get the e mail address from them for complaints and say you want to take your case to the insurance ombudsman (it won't come to this). Send an email outlining the options on the drop down menu you code and ask them to reinstate your policy if they can't do it at the same provide to send you the letter needed for ombudsman. In the unlikely event they don't reinstate or if they try to increase your premium go to another insurer and tell them what happened they will take it on. Happy to help if you send me a PM. Good luck

thanks a lot Alig123. I complained but the manager in complaints department said "that's our policy" and I said next step is the regulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

If they issued you with any confirmation of cover, they have to issue the formal cancellation letter. This must be declared to future insurers but a good broker should be able to explain it to an alternative company and get a quote. The Ombudsman won't help as the error was yours and don't consider not declaring it. That could bring you a heap of trouble down the road

If they issued you with any confirmation of cover, they have to issue the formal cancellation letter. This must be declared to future insurers but a good broker should be able to explain it to an alternative company and get a quote. The Ombudsman won't help as the error was yours and don't consider not declaring it. That could bring you a heap of trouble down the road

Thanks Sue Pa - so you are telling me that I'm shut out of most insurance companies in Ireland now and will only get more expensive cover from smaller companies?

and not declaring such a minor administrative error (which is clearly an honest mistake that they frankly set up) is a major problem?

I can't really say I agree with you about the mistake being mine - rounding up is quite normal. but I do appreciate your reply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

How are they cancelling when they said you are out their acceptance criteria

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

But it wasn't rounding up - it was simple question and obvious answer was 0 - if you were driving 1 yr and 9 months would you 'round up' to 2? I wouldn't think so. When it comes to no claims protection experience isn't rounded up- not sure why you thought it was okay to round up on an insurance policy. But I would try and get a cancellation notice erased if possible as it's one of the first things you'll be asked on any quote going forward

How are they cancelling when they said you are out their acceptance criteria

because I told them I had 1 year of experience. I have 9 months. The only options were "0" or "1 year". so they view the policy as never having really started

But it wasn't rounding up - it was simple question and obvious answer was 0 - if you were driving 1 yr and 9 months would you 'round up' to 2? I wouldn't think so. When it comes to no claims protection experience isn't rounded up- not sure why you thought it was okay to round up on an insurance policy. But I would try and get a cancellation notice erased if possible as it's one of the first things you'll be asked on any quote going forward

getting it erased would be ideal. but a previous reply said the regulator won't help

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

The answer was 0. It's standard in the insurance industry. It's one full year. You have not had one full year so your answer should have been 0. You entered wrong information to obtain a quote and the insurance has been declared invalid as a result. You didn't do it intentionally but you still did it. If they let you away with it, what's to stop me saying I have 5 year NCB when I have only 1.

If ever you are unsure, always pick up the phone or email the company in question about it. Especially with insurance.

• Advertisement

Yawns wrote: »
    The answer was 0. It's standard in the insurance industry. It's one full year. You have not had one full year so your answer should have been 0. You entered wrong information to obtain a quote and the insurance has been declared invalid as a result. You didn't do it intentionally but you still did it. If they let you away with it, what's to stop me saying I have 5 year NCB when I have only 1.

If ever you are unsure, always pick up the phone or email the company in question about it. Especially with insurance.

thanks, I know that now. Clearly I knew I would have to provide the info. I wasn't trying to pull a fast one.

am I seriously damaged going forward?

bayner555 wrote: »
    because I told them I had 1 year of experience. I have 9 months. The only options were "0" or "1 year". so they view the policy as never having really started
    That's a different thing to a cancellation

It's a voided policy afaik

yeah - fair point, thanks

They will cancel the policy "ab intitio" (from inception). It is still a forced cancellation to be declared. As I mentioned earlier, if cover was confirmed to you, they have to go through the formal cancellation process described under the policy. If cover was never confirmed, awaiting supporting documents, you may get lucky

Where does the OP go next

Broker?

Where does the OP go next

Broker?

I would. The reason for cancellation is on the minor side of the scale and a good broker has relationships with many insurers. If it is explained correctly, he may get a quote at standard rates from some of them

They will cancel the policy "ab intitio" (from inception). It is still a forced cancellation to be declared. As I mentioned earlier, if cover was confirmed to you, they have to go through the formal cancellation process described under the policy. If cover was never confirmed, awaiting supporting documents, you may get lucky

Cover was never confirmed, thanks for the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

On a strict view OP can be said to have misrepresented a material fact and that is a serious matter in the context of insurance contracts or the preliminaries preceding formation of a contract.

I accept that it was an unintended act on the basis that OP was trying to make a best fit for the insurer's straightjacket.

However, can the erroneous statement be "disappeared" in the context of dealings with other insurers ? I would be concerned that failure to disclose this unfortunate event could be used against the OP in time. If the episode is disclosed there should be no problem as OP will have acted honestly in disclosing it and acting with utmost good faith.

I appreciate that there may have been no contract formed technically but that representation still lingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

bayner555 wrote: »

To be blunt, they view you as having made a misrepresentation to obtain insurance. It does sound as if you will not be able to use online quotes etc as your y will answer "yes" to "have you ever had cover refused or cancelled". Explaining that will take a broker or an experienced, I.e. Non call centre, sales agent.

Advertisement