Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my chain worn

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Just checked my Strava profile. My Race bike has just over 11,000klm on it. It's used in the summer months in dry weather and the bike is 6 years old. I checked it last weekend and the chain is worn and needs to be replaced. (its the original chain/cassette and chainrings). IMO that's Not bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Yes - in a clickity/clackity way which is embarrassing when passing another cyclist! :o

Glad it's not just me so! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

It's used in the summer months in dry weather

That's it. A single winter season kills a new chain in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Alek wrote: »
    That's it. A single winter season kills a new chain in my experience.

My Winter bike has over 40,000k on it. Two cassettes and i think i've bought 4 or 5 chains.

(we won't mention the new wheels, rear derailleur, Big chainring, mudguards, shifters, cable, pads and saddle! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Ok, you won by the sheer mileage ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

My current chain has 8000km on it. It's near perfect.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

07Lapierre wrote: »
    That fact that it's a single speed is also important as there's no "Sideways" movement, which also adds to the chains lifespan.

Set against that, the load is very high compared to a normal bike. Me, two kids and whatever I'm carrying, plus the rather high mass of the bike.

I could imagine that lateral torsion is more wearing than load though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Single speed chains are fairly cheap so it's not really a problem. (The lack of a front mudguard doesn't help either).
    Yeah, lack of front mudguard would very much add to wear.

If fixed-gear, I imagine the use of the chain in braking would add to wear too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

This thread has me wondering. I have 3400 km on my road bike. I got it serviced a few weeks ago and was told that the chain was 50% worn and I should change it at 75%. The chain is kept clean and rarely out in the rain. It's a shimano 5800 11 speed chain. Is that good? When replacing the chain should I get the same model?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Brian? wrote: »
    My current chain has 8000km on it. It's near perfect.

That sounds very much like my experience with a well maintained / lubed chain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

This thread has me wondering. I have 3400 km on my road bike. I got it serviced a few weeks ago and was told that the chain was 50% worn and I should change it at 75%. The chain is kept clean and rarely out in the rain. It's a shimano 5800 11 speed chain. Is that good? When replacing the chain should I get the same model?
    Get yourself a chain checker tool like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/x-tools-chain-wear-indicator/rp-prod10219 and be your own judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Hassle free way of cleaning your chain
    https://muc-off.com/products/x-3-dirty-chain-machine

The amount of crap the chain picks up mountainbiking in winter with wet lube on it is unbelievable. They cleaner is very effective, just clip it on and start backpedalling.

Advertisement