Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance question

Options
  • 25-07-2017 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I'm insured on my car and on the policy it says insured to drive other vehicles. My friend lives in the uk but she hasn't used her car for the last month and is going to sell it. If I fly over to the uk. How can I drive the car home? Would my policy cover me.

My plan is to buy it and bring it over and get it on Irish plates.

Any info advise greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

It's unlikely. Driving of other cars doesn't apply to cars you own so if you buy the car it won't cover it. Plus, the driving of other cars extension doesn't always cover the uk, that varies between companies.

If you are buying it, could you not transfer your policy onto the new car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

I'm insured on my car and on the policy it says insured to drive other vehicles. My friend lives in the uk but she hasn't used her car for the last month and is going to sell it. If I fly over to the uk. How can I drive the car home? Would my policy cover me.

My plan is to buy it and bring it over and get it on Irish plates.

Any info advise greatly appreciated

Seeing as the car is presumably on UK plates .. if give your insurer a quick call just to confirm.

That way you'll have a definitive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

You have to make sure about 3 things.

1. That your "driving other cars" applies also in UK - can be found in your policy document.
    2. That your "driving other cars" applies on UK registered cars - same as above info will be there in policy document.
    3. That you don't buy the car off your friend before you bring it here. Your "driving other cars" will apply only to vehicle which you don't own, so if you buy the car, you can't use that extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dublinhurler

Brilliant thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

CiniO wrote: »
    3. That you don't buy the car off your friend before you bring it here. Your "driving other cars" will apply only to vehicle which you don't own, so if you buy the car, you can't use that extension.

What about driving a UK registered and non-VRT'd car (that you don't own, meaning it would be difficult to claim you're about to register it here) in Ireland? Might that be a problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

hognef wrote:
    What about driving a UK registered and non-VRT'd car (that you don't own, meaning it would be difficult to claim you're about to register it here) in Ireland? Might that be a problem?

No. Even in the unlikely event of being stopped by customs, you still have a period in which to VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

No. Even in the unlikely event of being stopped by customs, you still have a period in which to VRT.

Indeed you do, but when it's not your own car?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

hognef wrote: »

It's a good point.
    If OP want's to bring the car as a property of his UK friend (in which case he could be covered by his "driving other cars" extension on his policy), that would mean that he is driving foreign car in Ireland as Irish resident, which seems to be illegal in Ireland.
    However chances of car being impounded for that are slim IMO.

Better though buy the car outright in UK from friend, and transfer your policy to the car while still on UK plates (most insurers will do that for up to 30 days). Then it will be 100% compliant with all the laws.

Advertisement