Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survey - Roadside

Options
  • 26-07-2017 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭

Can anyone shed light on the survey that seems to be on all roads in the past month? It entails miles of orange cables draped along the side of the road. It was on the R154 around Batterstown the past few days and it's a mystery to me what it is for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Andru93

Panrich wrote: »
    Can anyone shed light on the survey that seems to be on all roads in the past month? It entails miles of orange cables draped along the side of the road. It was on the R154 around Batterstown the past few days and it's a mystery to me what it is for.

As far as I know it KN-Networks pulling fibre for internet access.
    More info here http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

I know also Tara Mines were doing Surveys there on Saturday morning around warrenstown area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Panrich

I would doubt that it is the fibre rollout as there is no digging involved so it might be the Tara mines survey. I have seen this on roads around Longwood, Summerhill, Fairyhouse and Trim-Batterstown over the past few weeks. Very strange.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Panrich

That's it exactly. thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Andru93 wrote: »
    As far as I know it KN-Networks pulling fibre for internet access.
    More info here http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

I know also Tara Mines were doing Surveys there on Saturday morning around warrenstown area.

KN are doing work for Virgin Media in Dunshaughlin,had a chat with them yesterday in passing,The engineer said they'll be rolling it out fairly quickly after they're done

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Bussywussy wrote: »
    KN are doing work for Virgin Media in Dunshaughlin,had a chat with them yesterday in passing,The engineer said they'll be rolling it out fairly quickly after they're done

where in Dunshaughlin are they rolling out Virgin Media in Dunshaughlin? I saw cabling by KN in Maelduin recently?

Gonzo wrote: »
    where in Dunshaughlin are they rolling out Virgin Media in Dunshaughlin? I saw cabling by KN in Maelduin recently?

not sure exactly what areas,maybe its all the urban area

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not sure exactly what areas,maybe its all the urban area

KNN were working all over Maelduin the week before last and dragging cables from the main street to the new estate being built on the Dublin road.

Gonzo wrote: »
    KNN were working all over Maelduin the week before last and dragging cables from the main street to the new estate being built on the Dublin road.

Hopefully it'll come on-stream soon,more choice.
    he came into my drive and opened a white box next to my door to check it,that's where the fibre cable comes in.

Hopefully it'll come on-stream soon,more choice.
    he came into my drive and opened a white box next to my door to check it,that's where the fibre cable comes in.

I am very surprised that Virgin are finally coming to Dunshaughlin. I had my suspicions a few weeks back when I saw several VM vans around the town. Then lots more work by KN around the main street, Maelduin and Dublin road in recent weeks after KN had finished rolling out Fibre To The Home in the rural areas on behalf of OpenEir.

I live in the rural part of Lagore and have Eir FTTH, Virgin will never come this far as they only operate in built up areas. It's great to know that parts of Dunshaughlin town will see Virgin Media FTTH, Virgin Media are now installing FTTH instead of the traditional cable network but will mirror their cable network services on their FTTH network. Dunshaughlin will soon have 3 seperate fibre networks, which for a small town is very impressive:

1 - FTTC/FTTN in built up areas with speeds of up to 100 megs (fibre to the green cabinets and copper to the home)
    2 - FTTH by Eir in the rural parts up to 5km from the town with speeds up to 1000 megs..
    3 - Virgin Media FTTH with speeds up to 360 megs in various parts of town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Panrich wrote: »
    I would doubt that it is the fibre rollout as there is no digging involved
    Often ducts are laid years ahead of cables being added. In new housing estates, some councils insist on a separate duct being left for broadband. Often when one cable is laid, spare ducts will also be laid. Ducts are often laid along new motorways and roads.

Victor wrote: »
    Often ducts are laid years ahead of cables being added. In new housing estates, some councils insist on a separate duct being left for broadband. Often when one cable is laid, spare ducts will also be laid. Ducts are often laid along new motorways and roads.

they were definitely checking the ducts that are already laid in the manholes outside

Advertisement