Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Delay on Licences

Options
  • 26-07-2017 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭

Seems that the latest delay with licences has nothing to do with AGS.
    There seems to be a delay/ backlog or just plain old staff on holidays with the company who prints the actual licence.
    My sub was signed off nearly 2 weeks ago now and I am still waiting on it....anyone else waiting on approved licences ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

applied last Monday, got first letter wed and the grant letter Thursday, Licence on tueday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Seems that the latest delay with licences has nothing to do with AGS.
    There seems to be a delay/ backlog or just plain old staff on holidays with the company who prints the actual licence.
    My sub was signed off nearly 2 weeks ago now and I am still waiting on it....anyone else waiting on approved licences ?

Did you get your grant letter, Liffy Fishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭RS98

Applied June 16, got the grant letter last Thursday (1 month 4 days). Paid last Friday got license today.

RS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I think you're being fobbed off Liffey.

The FO rang last Friday 21/7 to say he was processing my sub.
    The letter and new license came yesterday, Wednesday 26/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

phew thought you were referring t the deer licenses 
    panic over :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I just checked. On average, it takes 18 seconds to print a document from my file to holding it in my hand.

Same over here in GB - Essex F&ELD actually issued a letter last year explaining that their certs were going to be taking AT LEAST 42 weeks to produce, from receipt.

Un-freakin'-believable.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Croohur

Hi there,
    I applied for my first firearm licence on the 16th of July for a .17 HMR Rifle. Have heard absolutely nothing since. Handed it in to my local guard who is only in the village cop shop 4 days out of 10. No idea is he has even sent it off yet! I plan to give the lads in the Firearms Processing Unit a call tomorrow morning to see if they have even received it yet.
    Beyond frustrating the lack of info and communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Croohur wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I applied for my first firearm licence on the 16th of July for a .17 HMR Rifle. Have heard absolutely nothing since............

.......Firearms Processing Unit a call tomorrow morning to see if they have even received it yet.........

It a bit early to be honest, fourteen days give or take is nought, especially if you going through a part-time station.

I'm not sure what you mean by the second part of your post I quoted above, I may be missing something. But if your referring to the dept in Garda HQ Phoenix Park, you'll be onto the wrong section. Your firearms application is delt with by the appointed individual in your local station and if that station is not the district HQ then it is passed onto the district HQ to the Superintendents office to be signed off on. But it is in fact the local lad that processes the application insuring all the i's are dotted and t's crossed.

It a bit early to be honest, fourteen days give or take is nought, especially if you going through a part-time station.

I'm not sure what you mean by the second part of your post I quoted above, I may be missing something. But if your referring to the dept in Garda HQ Phoenix Park, you'll be onto the wrong section. Your firearms application is delt with by the appointed individual in your local station and if that station is not the district HQ then it is passed onto the district HQ to the Superintendents office to be signed off on. But it is in fact the local lad that processes the application insuring all the i's are dotted and t's crossed.

Thanks Cookimonster for the reply. I thought you could phone the FPU to check the progress of your application. This is part of the problem I guess (and I know I am being impatient!) that you have to come to forums like this to try and get concrete info sometimes. There also seems to be vastly different time frames on when people get their license approved.
    The local guard, who is a great lad, can't talk to me as he is away from the local station most of the time. He said I should hear in a week that application was in progress. That would have been 2 weeks ago now.
    As a first time applicant, who lives on a family farm, it just seems a strange system that asks you to "buy" a gun and a safe before you actually know you can have it!
    Forums like this are great, I have learned a huge amount going through various posts and I know I am not the first or last to go through this frustration!
    Anyway, rant over. Thanks again for the reply
    !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Hi there,
    I applied for my first firearm licence on the 16th of July for a .17 HMR Rifle. Have heard absolutely nothing since. Handed it in to my local guard who is only in the village cop shop 4 days out of 10. No idea is he has even sent it off yet! I plan to give the lads in the Firearms Processing Unit a call tomorrow morning to see if they have even received it yet.
    Beyond frustrating the lack of info and communication.

First time application? They have 12 weeks to give you a response and that 12 weeks generally only starts after you get a letter stating that it is being processed.

Calling the FPU in your case, is completely premature at the moment as it's highly unlikely that it's on the system at all.

Your best course of action, as frustrating as it may seem, is to give your districts Supers office a call to check if it is being processed.

They will probably refer you back to the local Sargent in any case as it would seem that he is the only one who could give you clarity at this stage.

While it seems frustrating, and the system is indeed flawed, it is something that we, as firearms owners or potential owners, have grown accustomed to, albeit frustratingly.

Right now, you know that you handed it to the garda and circumventing him at this point, might do you no favours because at the end of the day, it only gets processed if he does his bit.

Definitely chase up with him though but as already said above, two weeks is a bit soon too be chasing up anything.

Personally, my most recent sub has taken less than two weeks which is within the guidelines for a substitution.

For a first time application, these guidelines state 12 weeks but that only starts when you get the letter back from the supers office or processing staff in your district.

Best of luck with it though.

• Advertisement

amadablam wrote: »
    First time application? They have 12 weeks to give you a response and that 12 weeks generally only starts after you get a letter stating that it is being processed.

Calling the FPU in your case, is completely premature at the moment as it's highly unlikely that it's on the system at all.

Your best course of action, as frustrating as it may seem, is to give your districts Supers office a call to check if it is being processed.

They will probably refer you back to the local Sargent in any case as it would seem that he is the only one who could give you clarity at this stage.

While it seems frustrating, and the system is indeed flawed, it is something that we, as firearms owners or potential owners, have grown accustomed to, albeit frustratingly.

Right now, you know that you handed it to the garda and circumventing him at this point, might do you no favours because at the end of the day, it only gets processed if he does his bit.

Definitely chase up with him though but as already said above, two weeks is a bit soon too be chasing up anything.

Personally, my most recent sub has taken less than two weeks which is within the guidelines for a substitution.

For a first time application, these guidelines state 12 weeks but that only starts when you get the letter back from the supers office or processing staff in your district.

Best of luck with it though.

OK. Going to have to go all zen on this and relax. Thanks for the advice. Maybe I will take up scrimshaw or whittling to pass the time away until it comes through. A miniature version of my CZ waiting for me perhaps....

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mylo10

Croohur,

I was in exactly the same situation as you, and have read all the forums regarding calling the Garda HQ to see if they have it too.

I called my local FO who told me she hadn't got my sub app (4 weeks after I handed it into the local station). I met her that afternoon and did the paper work with her. Got a call less than a week later explaining it has been approved and the safe was to be inspected by the local crime prevention officer over the next few weeks. That was last Tuesday so I'm praying the letter arrives tomorrow!

Give your local FO a call and see. Might be worth waiting a bit longer though, my initial licence took 4 months. Took 2.5 months to hear anything. But a polite call to ask if it's been recieved would be no harm IMO.

What county are you in? I hear some are pretty quick.

Best of luck anyway.

mylo10 wrote: »
    Croohur,

I was in exactly the same situation as you, and have read all the forums regarding calling the Garda HQ to see if they have it too.

I called my local FO who told me she hadn't got my sub app (4 weeks after I handed it into the local station). I met her that afternoon and did the paper work with her. Got a call less than a week later explaining it has been approved and the safe was to be inspected by the local crime prevention officer over the next few weeks. That was last Tuesday so I'm praying the letter arrives tomorrow!

Give your local FO a call and see. Might be worth waiting a bit longer though, my initial licence took 4 months. Took 2.5 months to hear anything. But a polite call to ask if it's been recieved would be no harm IMO.

What county are you in? I hear some are pretty quick.

Best of luck anyway.

I haven't a clue who the local FO is here (I am based in South Wicklow). I will talk to the Guard who I handed it in to, but as I said he may not be around from one week to the next. Station phone just rings out.
    My frustration stems from the fact that, like yourself, I have no clue if he has handed it in or not. You don't know if you're just swinging in the wind waiting for that letter and it hasn't even been sent up the chain.
    A receipt from the Gardaí when you hand it in would be good, would show the date you handed it in and might reduce the wait time which is just local Guards not handing it in.
    Ultimately you don't know, as always with many things in Ireland, it's a half arsed system designed for mistakes to be made and tolerated and time to be wasted.
    And then you don't know when good work is being done and they are just genuinely busy.
    Thanks for the advice, as I have said I have learned more here about the system than from the Guards! Would love to have the rifle before crops are harvested here, but have accepted that's probably not going to be the case.

I haven't a clue who the local FO is here (I am based in South Wicklow). I will talk to the Guard who I handed it in to, but as I said he may not be around from one week to the next. Station phone just rings out.
    My frustration stems from the fact that, like yourself, I have no clue if he has handed it in or not. You don't know if you're just swinging in the wind waiting for that letter and it hasn't even been sent up the chain.
    A receipt from the Gardaí when you hand it in would be good, would show the date you handed it in and might reduce the wait time which is just local Guards not handing it in.
    Ultimately you don't know, as always with many things in Ireland, it's a half arsed system designed for mistakes to be made and tolerated and time to be wasted.
    And then you don't know when good work is being done and they are just genuinely busy.
    Thanks for the advice, as I have said I have learned more here about the system than from the Guards! Would love to have the rifle before crops are harvested here, but have accepted that's probably not going to be the case.

Call the main HQ in wicklow (Batchelors walk I think? ) Ask them who the FO for Wicklow is. I doubt they'll give you the number or e-mail but ask them for the name and ask can they send an e-mail to the FO to call you relating to a Firearms application query. If you get no reply call back a few days later (the first time I did that no e-mail was sent.. second time I was called back within 10 mins, it'll more than likely be private number too.).

The FO in my case was great once I got to speak to her. Couldn't have helped anymore than she did. Always get the Garda name or number off their arm, it just helps when asked why the app went missing, if it does. I forgot to get it that time.

Don't be disheartened, call and speak to them and explain your urgency. They may push it through for just that, they're genuine people at the end of the day and will help you as much as they can. My local farmer has just cut crops too. I understand your problem. If I was in Wicklow I'd help!

Have fun and be safe.

mylo10 wrote: »
    Call the main HQ in wicklow (Batchelors walk I think? ) Ask them who the FO for Wicklow is. I doubt they'll give you the number or e-mail but ask them for the name and ask can they send an e-mail to the FO to call you relating to a Firearms application query. If you get no reply call back a few days later (the first time I did that no e-mail was sent.. second time I was called back within 10 mins, it'll more than likely be private number too.).

The FO in my case was great once I got to speak to her. Couldn't have helped anymore than she did. Always get the Garda name or number off their arm, it just helps when asked why the app went missing, if it does. I forgot to get it that time.

Don't be disheartened, call and speak to them and explain your urgency. They may push it through for just that, they're genuine people at the end of the day and will help you as much as they can. My local farmer has just cut crops too. I understand your problem. If I was in Wicklow I'd help!

Have fun and be safe.

I will see if I can track the local Guard down this week. After that I will definitely follow your advice. Thanks for that, you have been very helpful.

Hello there,
    Just wanted to give a quick update on my own situation regarding a first time gun licence. My local Guard was off for the rest of the week so I gave the Wicklow HQ a call. I was put through to the relevant person straight away, she said that she had the application, it was going to be approved, and that I should get the letter next week.
    Thanks Mylo10 for the advice it was completely spot on, I feel I can relax now, knowing it is coming in the near future. Phew!
    I had wanted to tell them that I had done the NARGC Firearms Proficiency Course last Saturday, hoping it might speed up a positive response, but she said it was going to be approved as it was.
    Just for any others out there doing a first time application, my local Guard had said as a first time applicant I might have to do some sort of course. I came upon the free NARGC Safety Proficiency course on Friday, called and signed up for the next day.
    I thought the course was excellent, learnt a lot, especially the legal aspect. Lunch was provided free of charge, I was expecting a sandwich, but we were served a full meal!
    Anyway, the man who gave the course was excellent and I would recommend to any first time applicants like myself.
    I think that there is one on in Kilkenny this Saturday and one in Cork the following.
    https://nargc.ie/safety-proficiency-courses-2017-2/

Excellent.

I got my new rifle on Tuesday morning. I've spent more time cleaning it than anything. Have to sight it in next.

Enjoy looking after your farm.

I have also done a similar course and loved it. Great advice and I learnt a huge amount from it. Nothing like speaking to people who have been doing it for years.
    Don't forget, those people have good skills at calling in varmint (foxes in my case), you can learn allot.

Have fun and be safe!

Mylo10

Good news all round so!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Hello there,
    Just wanted to give a quick update on my own situation regarding a first time gun licence. My local Guard was off for the rest of the week so I gave the Wicklow HQ a call. I was put through to the relevant person straight away, she said that she had the application, it was going to be approved, and that I should get the letter next week.
    Thanks Mylo10 for the advice it was completely spot on, I feel I can relax now, knowing it is coming in the near future. Phew!
    I had wanted to tell them that I had done the NARGC Firearms Proficiency Course last Saturday, hoping it might speed up a positive response, but she said it was going to be approved as it was.
    Just for any others out there doing a first time application, my local Guard had said as a first time applicant I might have to do some sort of course. I came upon the free NARGC Safety Proficiency course on Friday, called and signed up for the next day.
    I thought the course was excellent, learnt a lot, especially the legal aspect. Lunch was provided free of charge, I was expecting a sandwich, but we were served a full meal!
    Anyway, the man who gave the course was excellent and I would recommend to any first time applicants like myself.
    I think that there is one on in Kilkenny this Saturday and one in Cork the following.
    https://nargc.ie/safety-proficiency-courses-2017-2/

Croohur, thanks very much for posting the above information, I've just signed up for the upcoming course in Cork and after speaking to Timmee McCarthy the organiser am really looking forward to it.
    Jaysus lads, this is a great old web site altogether!

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Very happy to help Rows Grower, and yes, its a great forum, dont know how you found out any obscure info back in the "old days" beyond buying pints for ould lads down the pub and then try and sift through the truth from the bull****......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

I applied for a shotgun licence on the 26th of September and got the letter on the 9th of August im in the nice part of wickla

ronn wrote: »
    I applied for a shotgun licence on the 26th of September and got the letter on the 9th of August im in the nice part of wickla

September!?

September!?

My poetic licence,
    Oops July and August should be in there, 😀😀

Well then that's very quick rather than insanely slow!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Very happy to help Rows Grower, and yes, its a great forum, dont know how you found out any obscure info back in the "old days" beyond buying pints for ould lads down the pub and then try and sift through the truth from the bull****......

Just an update on that course Croohur, it was absolutely fantastic!
    There was 40 people attended and it was extremely well organised. It ran like clockwork with various experts giving power point presentations and answering any questions afterwards. The speakers were so detailed in the information they shared there was hardly any questions the whole day.
    The main topic was safety with simple tips to avoid serious accidents which have and can happen very easily in the field or in the home.
    There was also detailed information shared on how guns work. The law regarding guns in Ireland was explained in lay mans terms, the laws and etiquette of hunting, insurance and the Firearms Act and the Wildlife Act were all covered. There was a test/exam at the end of the presentations that I'd be fairly confident everyone will pass.
    In fairness the whole day was a credit to Timmy McCarthy for organising and to the speakers who obviously have great respect for him and promoting the sport in general considering how far they travelled and how much of their time they sacrificed voluntarily.
    To top it off then as well as the lovely food provided in the hotel we were all invited up to the Dunmanway Clay Shooting Club where the members there had everything set up for us and we were given one to one tuition and allowed blast away at the clays.
    It was a mighty day out and a perfect introduction to the sport from an absolute bunch of gentlemen!

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Just an update on that course Croohur, it was absolutely fantastic!
    There was 40 people attended and it was extremely well organised. It ran like clockwork with various experts giving power point presentations and answering any questions afterwards. The speakers were so detailed in the information they shared there was hardly any questions the whole day.
    The main topic was safety with simple tips to avoid serious accidents which have and can happen very easily in the field or in the home.
    There was also detailed information shared on how guns work. The law regarding guns in Ireland was explained in lay mans terms, the laws and etiquette of hunting, insurance and the Firearms Act and the Wildlife Act were all covered. There was a test/exam at the end of the presentations that I'd be fairly confident everyone will pass.
    In fairness the whole day was a credit to Timmy McCarthy for organising and to the speakers who obviously have great respect for him and promoting the sport in general considering how far they travelled and how much of their time they sacrificed voluntarily.
    To top it off then as well as the lovely food provided in the hotel we were all invited up to the Dunmanway Clay Shooting Club where the members there had everything set up for us and we were given one to one tuition and allowed blast away at the clays.
    It was a mighty day out and a perfect introduction to the sport from an absolute bunch of gentlemen!

This sounds great. I'll sign up myself. I checked their website and no new dates but I'll keep an eye out. I did a safety course a few months back which was great too but I'd love to have a discussion on the various laws and etiquette of hunting, insurance, Firearms and the wildlife act like you said. It sounds good so I'll sign up as soon as the dates are available.

This sounds great. I'll sign up myself. I checked their website and no new dates but I'll keep an eye out. I did a safety course a few months back which was great too

Who did you do you're safety course with,?? If it was the nargc then it be the same course,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Dropped off my FCA1 for new shotgun on the 14th August. Got the grant letter on Friday 18th and paid in the post office that day. Actual license arrived this morning with the 750 rounds limit I asked for. 10 working days total. Can't ask for better than that

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

handed in my application on the 2nd of August for a rifle just hit 4 weeks today, did ring the FPU and they said its on the system awaiting a decision,

• Advertisement
Advertisement