Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to move to in Kildare

Options
  • 26-07-2017 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Looking to rent in Kildare as can't afford Dublin. Partner works in the Citywest area can anyone recommend Naas, Newbridge, Sallins, Kill where would you recommend?

Our son is starting school so we would be also looking for recommendations for down there Too? I work in Early Years sector and would get a job down in whichever town or one nearby for dropping and collecting our son from a before / Afterschool facility.

What should we take in to account when looking? We're both from Dublin so don't want to be too far away.

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

????????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

have you considered Celbridge? Its not too far from Citywest/Parkwest. Its on dublin bus /commuter train/Bus eireann routes. Prices would be similar to Naas (not sure about the others), but a lot closer to where your looking to work.

If thats not workable, how about Rathcoole/Newcastle instead? Or even Citywest itself?

I'm assuming you/your partner are drivers though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Hi,

I moved from North Dublin and live in Newbridge now, work in Citywest. Commuting in and out by car. I live on the east side of the town and in the summer months at rush hour it takes 25 mins to get to Citywest, worst case in middle of winter it could take about 50 mins, it will only be longer in my experience if there is a crash. Its generally busier heading home, but once you know the lanes to be in, its mostly never longer than 40/45 mins. Living on the west side of Newbridge will add time to your commute as there are a few schools on the main road after the bridge over the Liffey which cause a lot of disruption to rush hour traffic in the mornings. Living on the east side of this avoids these delays. I've lived on the west side of the town too and you can easily be delayed by 20 mins with school traffic during rush hour.

I've a 10 month old so not so sure yet on the schools yet, but there are plenty of schools in the area..

Naas is closer but due to that its generally slightly more expensive I think, housing and renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

Thank you very much.

What is Moorefield Park like is that on the East side of Newbridge?

How long would it take to be in Citywest for 8am what time would you need to be leaving at?

I was planning on working down there but that's for oh to Citywest.

Thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

youandme13 wrote: »
    Thank you very much.

What is Moorefield Park like is that on the East side of Newbridge?

How long would it take to be in Citywest for 8am what time would you need to be leaving at?

I was planning on working down there but that's for oh to Citywest.

Thanks very much!

Moorefield Park is a long established estate, lived there when I was a kid and had great times. Can't say for sure what it's like now, but there was decent folk there when I lived in it.
    Citywest could take anything up to an hour during school term. Need to be on the road 7.15 at the very latest to get in for 8. Be a lot quicker in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭chancer007

would recommend kilcullen
    nice country feel about it
    good community spirit,alot of activities on every weekend
    good schools
    close to m7/m9

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Naas is a nice town and I could see myself living there.
    Sallins hasn't much going for it.
    Newbridge is too far in the wrong direction.
    Clane rates somewhere between Naas and Sallins (probably closer to Sallins).
    Kill is similar to Clane although it has the benefit of location.

In short go for Naas

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Naas is a nice town and I could see myself living there.
    Sallins hasn't much going for it.
    Newbridge is too far in the wrong direction.
    Clane rates somewhere between Naas and Sallins (probably closer to Sallins).
    Kill is similar to Clane although it has the benefit of location.

In short go for Naas

Naas is seriously overpriced.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

TheShow wrote: »
    Naas is seriously overpriced.

Probably a good sign then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Naas/Sallins are so overpriced.

I was recently looking at moving to Kildare, Newbridge or Kildare town were my areas of choice ... Monasterevin is worth considering too.

Avoid Athy of all places! Would not recommend.

Celbridge and Maynooth are both lovely, not really any cheaper than Dublin though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Also how is your husband planning on commuting to Dublin? Irish Rail charge for commuter tickets based on zone, the cost can vary massively depending on the town, something to work into the budget!

Also how is your husband planning on commuting to Dublin? Irish Rail charge for commuter tickets based on zone, the cost can vary massively depending on the town, something to work into the budget!

Oh I just assumed driving. Public transport is not really a viable option in Kildare other than Maynooth/Leixlip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Rental wise, naas and sallins are high demand and you won't save a huge amount compared to dublin. They are both a great place to live with a huge amount of services and accessibility, hence the high rents.

Kilcullen seems to have a nice vibe but no idea what's going on there. After newbridge the commute gets a bit grating in the winter time.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭flix1

I can give you some of my experience on this.

Newbridge is a busy town. It has it advantages namely the Whitewater shopping centre and loads of supermarkets and take aways if you are into that.

It has 2 decent GAA clubs.

Communte. Anyone who tells you that you need less that an hour isn't being fair. There's regularly traffic build ups between the ball at Naas and Newbridge. You need to give yourself an hour each way to and from Dublin. Friday mornings fastest day of the week..Friday evenings are a pain as all the people heading to Cork Limerick Kilkenny are on the same motorway.

Theres plenty of schools. Can't vouch for them though. Look Newbridge has it's fair share of socioeconomic problems and in my opinion doesn't have the same 'nice town' feel as Naas...just walk up and down the main streets of both and you will see what I mean. Having said that so do lots of towns. Best of luck with your move...but be aware...the commute is heartache and if you can spare yourself it by any other means then I would advise that you do. Theres nothing worse than sitting in your car for an hour wishing you could be with your kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Oh I just assumed driving. Public transport is not really a viable option in Kildare other than Maynooth/Leixlip.

Depending where you are in Celbridge it's comparable to Maynooth/ Leixlip. In some cases better, especially using Dublin bus.
    Although prices in these 3 places are 10-20% higher than the rest of "North" Kildare

Clane is a very nice little town or village with great grocery shopping options, childcare, schools, pubs etc.

Naas is great too, bigger of course. I think Sallins is a horrible spot.

That is just not true. Train to Hueston takes 25/30 mins. Granted the ticket it expensive as it's out of the Irish rail determined commuter zone, but if you buy it through the tax saver option you get if for virtually half the price.

TheShow wrote: »
    That is just not true. Train to Hueston takes 25/30 mins. Granted the ticket it expensive as it's out of the Irish rail determined commuter zone, but if you buy it through the tax saver option you get if for virtually half the price.

Yes but train station is not walkable from Naas so you must drive so add that time into your commute. Heuston is not exactly city centre so add that time to your journey. The actual time spent on the train is pretty irrelevant to most people as their total commute is the important measurement. For example my daily commute is 40 minutes. You would say it is 15 minutes as that is the time I spend standing on the train.

With that, train delays, high ticket prices, congested trains driving is the only option from Naas to City West (or cycling if you are feeling energetic).

I love Naas as a town and it was one of my preferred areas to settle long term. The dealbreaker was commuting times.
    The Mulk wrote: »
    Depending where you are in Celbridge it's comparable to Maynooth/ Leixlip. In some cases better, especially using Dublin bus.
    Although prices in these 3 places are 10-20% higher than the rest of "North" Kildare

Train station in Celbridge is not as accessible as either Maynooth or Leixlip which is why I excluded it.

The 67 was an awful service when I lived in Celbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Yes but train station is not walkable from Naas so you must drive so add that time into your commute. Heuston is not exactly city centre so add that time to your journey. The actual time spent on the train is pretty irrelevant to most people as their total commute is the important measurement. For example my daily commute is 40 minutes. You would say it is 15 minutes as that is the time I spend standing on the train.

With that, train delays, high ticket prices, congested trains driving is the only option from Naas to City West (or cycling if you are feeling energetic).

I love Naas as a town and it was one of my preferred areas to settle long term. The dealbreaker was commuting times.

Train station in Celbridge is not as accessible as either Maynooth or Leixlip which is why I excluded it.

I find the 67x a great service, better than the alternatives in Maynooth but bus from Leixlip would be better. The proximity of the station to Maynooth and Leixlip is a lot better id agree.I'm close enough to Hazelhatch station now and my wife finds it a lot better than the Maynooth line, although i wouldn't fancy crossing the bridge in Celbridge every morning to get to Hazelhatch

I meant to add from Kildare/Newbridge. Both stations in the town and very accessible. Granted Heuston is not city centre but you're not too far from anywhere with buses, Luas and bikes available. Also, all commuter routes into the city have to deal with that element too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

You know some of the trains on that line now go to Connolly?

Hazelhatch is out of town a bit...but not an unreasonable distance. Its about 1.5 miles from the bridge and there is an option of a feeder bus (granted it doesnt suit every train). Similar in Naas afaik

And dont forget that Clane has a Bus Eireann service too which is frequent (and a hell of a lot more comfortable than Dublin Bus).

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Hazelhatch is roughly 3 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

chancer007 wrote: »
    would recommend kilcullen
    nice country feel about it
    good community spirit,alot of activities on every weekend
    good schools
    close to m7/m9

Kilcullen to CityWest is a 25 mins drive at the moment (going via Punchestown). It might stretch to 30 later in the year (based on 18 years driving that route). Slower coming home depending on time of day and traffic in Kilcullen (only one set of lights).
    Primary school (700+) is almost full, thanks to a major expansion.
    Plenty going on, check out Kilcullen blog (http://kilcullenbridge.blogspot.ie/?m=1)
    Most people walk in for social events as everything is close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Augeo wrote: »
    Clane is a very nice little town or village with great grocery shopping options, childcare, schools, pubs etc.

Naas is great too, bigger of course. I think Sallins is a horrible spot

Care to expand? PM me if you like. We live in Celbridge but Clane/Sallins are on our radar at the moment for something bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

mloc123 wrote: »
    Care to expand? PM me if you like. We live in Celbridge but Clane/Sallins are on our radar at the moment for something bigger.

Would also like to know what soured your opinion on sallins

mloc123 wrote: »

Nothing to PM.
    I just think it's horrible, the main street is grim enough. That development where there is a hair dressers and empty units on the ground floor of an apartment complex looks terrible.

That and the service station are the centre point.

Celbridge is like Monaco compared to Sallins IMO.

I live in Clane so see plenty of Sallins, I wouldn't move there if it put €100k in my back pocket tbh.

Canal is a nice scenic amenity no doubt the the place in general is awful IMO.

Compare it visually to Naas, Celbridge, Maynooth or Clane ......... I'd hate to live there. Prosperous is nicer and there's little in Prosperous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

But not to Citywest. I would have assumed driving too. By car would be quicker to get to Citywest from Maynooth/Celbridge than from Naas during rush hour. Off peak not much difference. But for public transport it's into Dublin and back out again on the Luas.

Advertisement