Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decided to start camping and now looking for a tent

Options
  • 26-07-2017 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

Bought my first tent recently after trawling through boards for advice.

A few of the sites I used to compare prices.

www.charlescamping.ie
    www.omearacamping.com
    www.gooutdoors.co.uk

My best advice would be to borrow someone elses tent / rent one out at a camp site and see if it's for you first.

No harm if you are near one of the Irish shops to pop in and see them set up or even to give them a call and ask for advice to see what would suit your budget and requirements best.

Other more experienced posters here will be able to give more detailed advice but what I would consider important is:
    weight - if you are driving it's fine but weight can be an issue if backpacking or relying on public transport
    water resistance - i got 3000mm resistance and it performed fine in heavy rain in June.
    Ground sheet - I'd go for a fully sown in one if I had to buy again. less risk of water coming in and bugs too.

I went for a vango brand tent as the brand seems to get fairly decent press on the forums and like you I was equally confused so went for one which seems popular although I probably got one which is too big for my needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Do you want to hike/trek or just use it as a base?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

TBH with tents waterproofness is key, I'd look for a siliconised nylon as its light and very water proof, also aluminium poles are preferable to fibreglass as they are much lighter.
    Vango tents are good I have a three man version that has lasted well, but it is bulky and heavy compared to the more modern types.
    If you can spring to it this one looks very good value for what you get, 5m head is a decent level of waterproofing.
    https://www.camping-outdoor.eu/en/tents-awnings/biking-trekking/silicone-ultra-wr/10t-silicone-biker-2-person-touring-geometer-tent-with-large-apsis-siliconised-aluminium-frame-pack-size-18x45-ws-5000mm/a-1143764573/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

The Vango Omega 250 is a great tent - plenty of room for 2 people with a massive porch and groundsheet with raised edges to keep water out.
    Can be packed down for an all in one pitch which is handy if you're moving about - saves faff when dropping it and repitching it every other day.

It is a bit heavier than other 2/3 person tents but it's a cracking tent. I've used one in all weathers all year round for the last 4 years with the scouts and it's still going great

Should also add, my only gripe with the tent is that water can easily run off the roof onto the groundsheet when you open the door - slightly poor design in that respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

CJHaughey that tent looks good - great space, but I don't like inner first pitching for Irish conditions. I prefer to get the fly sheet up quickly to provide shelter and then hang the inner.
    In drier climates the inner only is great as it can be used on its own without the fly sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

Vango blade 200

Advertisement