Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

144hz Monitor

Options
  • 26-07-2017 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hey all,

I have been thinking about buying a 144hz monitor for quite a while now.
    I'm quite a big gamer and i heard that it makes a difference in fps games, but as far as i understand a 144hz monitor vs a 60hz monitor are the same thing with vsync turned off? Obviously the 144hz is going to be better as its built for gaming

Like i could have this all wrong but to me a 60hz monitor without vsync will get what ever fps your pc can pump out but can start screen tearing where as you can buy a 144hz monitor and have vsync on to have high fps, no screen tearing, and less ghosting.

My issue is on my 60hz main gaming monitor i don't know about ghosting but as for screen tearing there is none or just never see it. I never use v sync for any game.

So do ye think getting a 144hz monitor would be worth it?

Thanks for your time!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not quite, a standard 60hz monitor, anything north of 60 shows no return except screen tearing, hence why it will be capped at 60fps with vysnc.

144hz is vastly superior but even to drive 1080p 144hz, you would need a fairly powerful machine to hit 75-100fps in a lot of modern games.

144Hz requires serious CPU grunt as well as GPU - but while with a GPU you can lower settings to get higher framerate, that becomes redundant if your CPU hits a ceiling at say, 60-70fps.

eg playing Battlefield 1 online:

i5-6400 + GTX1070 = 60fps.
    i5-6400 + GTX1070 @ 144hz = 60-70fps.
    i7-6700K + GTX1070 @ 144hz = 90 -100fps.

Of course it depends on the game. Something like Counter Strike Global Offensive will hit 144fps even on a mid-range PC, others will hit 70-90 with a fairly modern i5 and decent card (GTA V, Black Ops 3, etc) .

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

Not quite, a standard 60hz monitor, anything north of 60 shows no return except screen tearing, hence why it will be capped at 60fps with vysnc.

144hz is vastly superior but even to drive 1080p 144hz, you would need a fairly powerful machine to hit 75-100fps in a lot of modern games.

144Hz requires serious CPU grunt as well as GPU - but while with a GPU you can lower settings to get higher framerate, that becomes redundant if your CPU hits a ceiling at say, 60-70fps.

eg playing Battlefield 1 online:

i5-6400 + GTX1070 = 60fps.
    i5-6400 + GTX1070 @ 144hz = 60-70fps.
    i7-6700K + GTX1070 @ 144hz = 90 -100fps.

Of course it depends on the game. Something like Counter Strike Global Offensive will hit 144fps even on a mid-range PC, others will hit 70-90 with a fairly modern i5 and decent card (GTA V, Black Ops 3, etc) .

Hmm okay.

I have a

i5 6600K OC @4.6Ghz
    GTX 1070 AMP EXTREME!

I'm not a huge fan of modern games to be honest i really only play CSGO, POE, Hearthstone small bit of Dota here and there so if i was to buy a 144hz monitor its really for CSGO.

Edit: When i say "modern" i mean like the newest high demanding games.

You're perfectly fine with that setup for any game really, obviously clocked at that speed makes up some ground against the higher thread count of the i7 in CPU gruelling games, but on the whole that's a perfectly good 144hz machine.

You're perfectly fine with that setup for any game really, obviously clocked at that speed makes up some ground against the higher thread count of the i7 in CPU gruelling games, but on the whole that's a perfectly good 144hz machine.

Cool thanks man, just curious do you have a 144hz monitor and do you play games like cs-go or similar where it "would" make a difference. I'm saying would rather then will because I'm some what skeptical about it, like does it actually make a difference to play a game like cs-go if you play the game somewhat seriously?

I had a 144hz monitor and it does make a difference but to me personally not so much that I'd 'never go back' - I've since upgraded from 1440p 144hz to a 4k60hz monitor, and I prefer the better image quality without overly missing the higher framerate.

If you're a semi-pro/quite serious player or something, I would say it would make a difference yeah.

• Advertisement

I had a 144hz monitor and it does make a difference but to me personally not so much that I'd 'never go back' - I've since upgraded from 1440p 144hz to a 4k60hz monitor, and I prefer the better image quality without overly missing the higher framerate.

If you're a semi-pro/quite serious player or something, I would say it would make a difference yeah.

thanks for you help mate much appreciated!

Advertisement