Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler Wetting Himself

Options
  • 26-07-2017 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone has any advice, am losing the plot. My 3 (almost 4) year old has been toilet trained for over a year. He took to it easily and would have been very upset if he had an accident. Now he's regularly wetting himself and doesn't seem bothered by it at all and will happily walk around in wet pants until myself or his dad notice that he's soaked.

He hasn't had any accidents at creche, just at home or when we are out and about. I've taken him to the doctor who has ruled out anything medical so it's obviously psychological. We've tried rewarding him with stickers when he doesn't have any accidents but this has been hit and miss. He'll have a couple of dry days and then it'll start again. Punishing him (by withdrawing toy or tv privileges) works for a day or two and then it's back to square one.

I cant think of anything that might have upset him but suspect it may be attention seeking. I have just returned to work after maternity leave so we haven't had as much time together. I took a half day last week just to spend time alone with him and make him feel super special but as soon as we got home he wet himself.

When I ask him why he isn't using the toilet he just says that he forgot or that he's learning 'like a baby'. I'm finding it hard to not lose my temper with him and am wondering has anyone else got through this, and how!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Three year old here, has totally regressed since we went on holidays.I am also holding my temper in and have no magic wand but to consistently go back to basics.I am bringing her to the toilet, reminding her constantly, putting her on it before we go out, when we come home, etc.
    It can be a battle but I don't know what else to do.Toilet training has driven me nuts.I have been told by friends that a regression often happens around his age.Seems to be normal.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

xalot wrote: »
    I cant think of anything that might have upset him but suspect it may be attention seeking. I have just returned to work after maternity leave so we haven't had as much time together. I took a half day last week just to spend time alone with him and make him feel super special but as soon as we got home he wet himself.

When I ask him why he isn't using the toilet he just says that he forgot or that he's learning 'like a baby'. I'm finding it hard to not lose my temper with him and am wondering has anyone else got through this, and how!

I suspect that's your answer.

Kids routines getting changed in even small ways can cause regression on TT. The learning like a baby comment sounds to me like he is just missing you while he adjusts to the new routine and he's seen that babies get lots of mammy attention.

He goes to the loo in creche, and holds it when you are out and about and I'm guessing like everyone else when you get home you are running around doing dinner/ cleaning/ other chores so he's not getting the one-to-one any more so wees as a protest.

I've no solutions I'm afraid, but I would suggest not punishing him. He's a baby still, and confused and missing the time you used to spend together and it feels...wrong... to punish him for it, plus it's feeding into him getting your attention. I'd personally swap that for getting him cleaned up without comment and go back to what you were doing. He might see that positive behaviour reaps more attention than negative behaviour.

Advertisement