Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wonder how he can explain the lack of finger prints on the bat considering the 2 of them grabbed it at one point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Crocodile tears aplenty. The repeated 'in fear for my life and my daughter' line was to be expected and expect the defence to try sell it to at least one juror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

fussyonion wrote: »
    I'm just dumbfounded at the amount of people on here commenting on the accused's physical appearance; "I would" and "She's hot".

Trivialising such a horrible case where two kids lost their father..it just baffles me.

I doubt anyone would say the same about Joe O'Reilly ("Jaysus I know he killed his wife but I would").

Why is it somehow funny or ok to make comments like this towards a woman?

Ah give over. It's only a light-hearted response that means nothing.

If your worried about trivialising the case, then why is it ok at all to even have a long thread which is essentially gossip. Gossip which gives rise to these comments:

"she seems a bit unhinged"
    "ah yeah, still would tho"

Nothing wrong with it in an informal context like here and if you'd like to have everything sanitised then there is no thread at all about this case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

In my total lack of experience and lack of knowledge on things like this...this sounds like he was well prepared / trained for giving an answer like this...
    In response to a question of whether he would have protected his daughter from her husband before 2 August 2015, Mr Martens said: "I’m not sure how to answer that."

Explaining that it was not a simple yes or no answer, he said he would need to know the specific circumstances surrounding any hypothetical occasion.

edit: also Martens talks about them being in the hallway..yet no mention of the hallway in the prosecution case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Gatling wrote: »
    Wonder how he can explain the lack of finger prints on the bat considering the 2 of them grabbed it at one point

The first thing I thought when I heard about this earlier in the case was that obviously it was wiped clean to remove evidence that it was her that gave the beating with the bat and not him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Cant see how they get away with this

But nothing would surprise me after OJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Thomas Martens said "I hit him until he could not kill me". Who talks like this? I hope they throw the book at him and his daughter. They deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Oj is innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    Oj is innocent.

In the eyes of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Thomas Martens said "I hit him until he could not kill me". Who talks like this? I hope they throw the book at him and his daughter. They deserve it.
    A FBI agent who knows the judicial system and what to say not say in a court room...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

harr wrote: »
    A FBI agent who knows the judicial system and what to say not say in a court room...

Yeah that's what I meant. It's one thing him saying he was afraid for himself and his daughter but I thought that statement was a bit much. Don't think he should have been allowed say that.

Yeah that's what I meant. It's one thing him saying he was afraid for himself and his daughter but I thought that statement was a bit much. Don't think he should have been allowed say that.

Under what rule of evidence should an accused be prevented from giving evidence of self defence, or defence of family?

Seriously, every defence of self defence amounts to "I killed him to prevent him attacking/wounding/killing me/someone close to me".

I don't see one thing wrong with him articulating this. It's the whole point of a very well recognised defence. He is perfectly entitled to say it. The converse would be bizarre, someone with a perfectly good defence but not allowed to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

It looks like he's preparing to take the full rap for her. It's weak though, who brought the paving stone to the fight? I doubt she will take the stand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It looks like he's preparing to take the full rap for her. It's weak though, who brought the paving stone to the fight? I doubt she will take the stand.

She has to surely, even as a 'witness'

He hardly used both weapons, who is going to buy that...but if there is no proof she used a weapon and they both deny she used a weapon, she'll walk.

She won't take the stand, she doesn't have to and would be useless under cross examination. He's trained and knows the system. I don't know how he's going to explain the paver though!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

Martens said on Aug. 1, 2015, he and his wife were originally supposed to attend a dinner party, but they canceled. Instead, he said they traveled to the Wallburg community to visit Jason and Molly Corbett and the grandchildren.
    Martens said the aluminum bat was in his garage, and that it was used by his son Stewart when he was younger.

“I thought (Jack) would think it was cool to get one of Stewart’s bats,” Martens said, referring to his grandson Jack Corbett, for whom he brought the bat to Wallburg

I'm of the opinion that Jason had told of Molly of his plans to leave her, why cancel their plans and travel to Wallburg. I don't believe the reason he is giving for bringing the baseball bat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

He hardly used both weapons, who is going to buy that...but if there is no proof she used a weapon and they both deny she used a weapon, she'll walk.

No she doesn't have to its entirety up to the defendent themselves if they choose to or not. He did because he's a trained witness and is used to taking the stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Judge rules that children's statements won't be allowed...Martins coworker says he is a very calculated person and never acts out on impulse .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

He testified that molly later told him she hit Jason with the brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

The handle of the bat is a rubber material that prints couldn't be taken from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

harr wrote: »
    Judge rules that children's statements won't be allowed...Martins coworker says he is a very calculated person and never acts out on impulse .

Not calculated enough... bringing the paving stone into it is a tough one to explain.

To a less extend, expressing he hated Jason in the run up to the event.

I'm of the opinion that Jason had told of Molly of his plans to leave her, why cancel their plans and travel to Wallburg. I don't believe the reason he is giving for bringing the baseball bat.
    Initially, he said the bat was a gift for the grandson...because the bat he gave a year before that to his grandson...couldn't hit balls as far?...was the wrong colour?

Auldloon wrote: »
    But were any skin cells found on the handle? To grip tightly and swing 12 times should leave behind some tissue imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

Martens hit him hard enough so that he couldn't kill him.......... And instead he killed his son in law........ and that's ok? The dead can't talk. This case must be horrendous for Jason's family. I'm glad his kids will be spared having to testify.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Auldloon wrote: »

Actually I believe they can lift prints of multiple surfaces and fabrics including various wrap's on sports equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭NORWOOD1

http://www.the-dispatch.com/news/20170804/martens-jason-corbett-said-im-going-to-kill-her

So Martens says he hit Jason twice with the bat to the head while Jason holds Molly with his right arm. Takes a third swing and Jason catches the bat mid swing with his left hand, this allows Molly to get away from Jason. Jason pushes Martens across the room (this sounds like something from a movie)

Martens rushes at Jason and they struggle to get control of the bat, Martens wins the struggle and continues to hit Jason.

I'm sorry but if a guy can catch a swinging bat with one hand while holding a person who would be struggling to get free and be able to push someone across a room, there is no way he is losing a struggle for a bat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Actually I believe they can lift prints of multiple surfaces and fabrics including various wrap's on sports equipment

It said in the trial the texture made it hard to lift the prints and those that where lifted were unidentifiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm guessing the departed's character is going to be assassinated and torn apart over the next few days. The kids lost their mam and now their dad. I just hope justice will prevail and the man is remembered for who he was and not how he's going to be painted by people desperate to do or say anything to avoid gaol.

I agree, it's unconscionable that they left two small children orphans, for no good reason, really. I hope they get their just desserts, but I'm not optimistic that it will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

NORWOOD1 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but if a guy can catch a swinging bat with one hand while holding a person who would be struggling to get free and be able to push someone across a room, there is no way he is losing a struggle for a bat.
    Prove it!
    All they need is doubt!

Advertisement