Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,447 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

January wrote: »
    Molly Martens has elected not to testify.

IMO that has guilty written all over it. What innocent person wouldn't want a chance to get up there and clear their name?

It's far more common for a defendent not to testify than to take the stand. Usually their lawyer strongly advises against it.

Lirange wrote: »
    True but in this case the defence is claiming that Molly was also a victim of abuse. It is more common for the defendant to testify if they're using the Battered Woman Defence. But not in Molly's case...

The battered woman defence is usually used where there is no evidence of provocation or self defence, most famously in the case of Sara Thornton who stabbed her husband while he was asleep and so really didn't have either defence available to her.

I presume the reason she isn't taking the stand is because the defence feel there is simply not enough evidence that she committed the crime. They have a victim and a person who admits to hitting the victim, putting her in would only expose her to a barrage of questions about what exactly she did, whether there was a history of abuse evidenced by visits to a doctor or the police. And it would be for little gain, she can only reinforce what her father said, that he hit the victim. That evidence has gone in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The prosecution doesn't seem to have made much about the paving stone. But someone will correct me if I am wrong about that.

I know about the blood spatters and the hairs found on it etc. but the fact that someone had a paving stone in a bedroom is beyond bizarre, yet it seems not to have been deemed that important.

It seems that other posters think likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

She anything to Doc Martens?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm getting the feeling the paving stone is a bit of a red herring. Surely the prosecution would be all over it if it was as important as it seems.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I'm getting the feeling the paving stone is a bit of a red herring. Surely the prosecution would be all over it if it was as important as it seems.

Do you reckon? His blood and hair were all over it... it's strange.

I agree, it is very strange that it appears to have been downplayed. It is probably the one thing connecting Molly Martens to the death. I mean if she was being choked to death how could she bash his head in with a paving stone before Dad arrived with the bat?

I just don't get it.

Unless all sides are playing together to help one of their own. But surely the Judge would cop that one.

Still I suppose the judge can only go on the evidence presented.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It doesn't make sense to me either, but surely the prosecution have a reason for not focusing on it. Ultimately theyre gonna know about it than we do.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    It doesn't make sense to me either, but surely the prosecution have a reason for not focusing on it. Ultimately theyre gonna know about it than we do.

Maybe it was explained in a statement and to cross examine on it would only reinforce something the defence would have fairly well versed and anticipated.

Could turn out to be the perfect murder.

Or Dad and/or Molly Martens will go down.

Either way a young man is dead under horrific circumstances.

We probably know more about it than the jury there in North Carolina do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

I can't see how they walk with the physical evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

I can't see how they walk with the physical evidence

Unfortunately I feel she may walk and daddy will go down..and that is their gameplan..damage limitation on their part..

If Dad goes down, I'm just guessing that the Parole Board will look after him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

If I was on that jury I honestly would not be able to decide anything without the paving stone explained.
    Can juries ask for more information?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Gatling wrote: »
    There currently having a conference about what's going to be put to the jury for deliberation

jury will have 3 options: second degree murder, voluntary manslaughter or not guilty

This if a verdict is reached.

As for sentencing:

Deemed unlikely to re-offend, Employment history, circumstances, etc, blah.

North Carolina: Classifications / Penalties

Class D felony; 51-64 months in prison.

strandroad wrote: »
    If I was on that jury I honestly would not be able to decide anything without the paving stone explained.
    Can juries ask for more information?

They can...but usually only clarification from the Judge, or to have evidence re-read to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭A Law

Been reading the thread on an off for the last week. Probably missed it but why couldn't the prosecution call molly or does it work like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Been reading the thread on an off for the last week. Probably missed it but why couldn't the prosecution call molly or does it work like that?

There is no obligation to take the stand and can't be forced to either ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

That's the American system - and the jury cannot infer anything from the refusal to take the stand.

No. And it's often very undesirable. The simplest example is your standard drink driving defence, which is a very technical prosecution. You can fight away on the basis that there was some procedural issue, some failure to meet the requirements, but you know that if you put your client in the first 2 questions are "did you drink alcohol that night" and "did you drive" and it's almost impossible to pull a case back from the inevitable answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

CeilingFly wrote: »
    That's the American system - and the jury cannot infer anything from the refusal to take the stand.

Well they are not supposed to be seen to ;)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Voluntary manslaughter charge reinstated in Corbett trial

LINK:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I don't think anyone on trial here is obliged to testify either.

Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Voluntary manslaughter charge reinstated in Corbett trial

LINK:

That happened a few hours ago

Defence asked for the trial to be dropped again judge said no ,

Closing statements are currently ongoing Jury was removed from the court after the Defence made several objections to the prosecution closing statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Missix

Good Twitter feed here : https://twitter.com/alexrosenews?lang=en

Is that correct?

It is.

And it's a very high risk strategy, putting the accused into the box. It means you are moving away from some very technical defence - such as in a case like this that the Prosecution didn't prove their case beyond all reasonable doubt - to a "I can explain it all" defence, opening up the accused to the Prosecution pointing out any flaws in that explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Is that correct?

Correct. But if you maintain your right to silence here, certain inferences can be drawn from that, i.e. You've something to hide!

Correct. But if you maintain your right to silence here, certain inferences can be drawn from that, i.e. You've something to hide!

I thought that was only when someone was being questioned in custody and elects to stay silent, not at a trial. But I may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I thought that was only when someone was being questioned in custody and elects to stay silent, not at a trial. But I may be wrong.

It covers both. We have the right to avoid self incriminatinaton prior to legal proceedings and during.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Molly Martens has elected not to testify.

IMO that has guilty written all over it. What innocent person wouldn't want a chance to get up there and clear their name?
    It's common in murder trials in the US for the defendant not to take the stand. What is unusual in this case is that only the father chose to do so. I said earlier that it was strange that Marten's wife wasn't called as a witness but in the US a spouse cannot be made testify against their partner, so maybe that was why only the father was a witness.
    Missix wrote: »
    Her brothers chose not to testify either,even though they were supposedly to offer evidence of it being an abusive relationship.

The Father is going to take the full rap for this,I think.They are all doing their utmost to minimalise Molly Martens part in it all.
    I don't know the full legalities of this case but as they've been charged together, do they both have to be found guilty or not guilty? If the jury can decide that one or both of them is to blame, then I can see Martens taking the rap. If the jury have to make the decision that both of them are guilty, then there might be enough reasonable doubt in the jury's mind's that Molly isn't guilty and therefore her father isn't guilty either.

Advertisement