Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Little surprised Molly was found guilty, not that I necessarily thought she was innocent.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

delighted, justice delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I should but can't actually believe it. Justice served without a doubt.

When I seen the jury asked for a break I was half expecting it to go either way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

The beauty of the double guilty verdict is that (I presume) the Americans have laws about not benefiting from your crimes which should mean Jason Corbett's kids will inherit everything. It won't begin to replace their parents but hopefully will help set them up for life.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Will they be sentenced soon or later?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Fair play to the Yanks!

An "immigrant" beaten to death by a former Marine FBI Agent whose defence counsel made the most of his "service in defense of our country" but the jury goes and does the right thing.

The "and justice for all" bit doesn't always work out but gratifying when it does.

GLaDOS wrote: »

Could happen today not 100% the marten's are currently in custody though ,
    15 minutes recess at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭annamarie2013

Thanks be to God. Justice served, glad the jury saw through the tissue of deceit. Those poor children...at least their Daddy has justice now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

Thrilled with verdict as I was very afraid that Molly was going to walk. What kind of sentence can be expected for second degree murder?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

jluv wrote: »
    Thrilled with verdict as I was very afraid that Molly was going to walk. What kind of sentence can be expected for second degree murder?

Up to life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Very happy for the Corbett family. They must be feeling very relieved with this verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

GLaDOS wrote: »
    My understanding is that it's very similar to Ireland.

For murder they'll be taken immediately into custody pending a sentencing hearing in a few days, to give their lawyers time to make pleas about mitigating circumstances and such.

If they'd gotten manslaughter they may have been allowed to go home to finalise their business, but for murder-2 they'll go straight to jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Missix

Anywhere between 14 years and life ...Thank God.

And well done to that jury...every single one of them thought the killing was done with malice.I was really worried that they wouldn't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It's not often I'm badly looking for a certain verdict in a trial, but I feel huge relief now after this. Justice was done.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,088 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Delighted for the Corbett's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭kerry cow

She walked in with a swagger but she won't be walking out this evening .
    What were they thinking .
    Did they realistically think they could get away with it .
    Bonkers to me .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I presume they will appeal. And appeal, and....

As Molly was handcuffed she tearfully apologised to her mom and wished they'd just kill me

• Registered Users Posts: 21,907 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Have followed this story from it's horrible beginning til this moment that just might give his family some comfort in knowing that his killer/s lies were not believed and now they have to face the consequences of their atrocious actions.

Hopefully his children and family might get some peace of mind now .

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

I was fascinated to read that she happened to have a concrete brick on her bedside table. Not many ladies would have one of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,361 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Do we think they both did it?

Or that she did it and the dad tried to take the rap?

everlast75 wrote: »
    Do we think they both did it?

Or that she did it and the dad tried to take the rap?

I'm thinking it's all her ,daddy trying to be the hero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Nope, I think both of them did. I think she started it in a frenzy and when daddy arrived up he finished him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Missix

The nerve of them was astounding though...and how a family that turned out to have 2 generations of killers in it could look down on Jason Corbett and his family..well,justice has well and truly been served today.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

I can't tell you how happy I am. The last few weeks have seemed like years, and we all kept fearing the worst and that they'd be let off. I cried when I heard the verdict not only for the verdict but now, the family and friends can begin to grieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

spud82 wrote: »
    I can't tell you how happy I am. The last few weeks have seemed like years, and we all kept fearing the worst and that they'd be let off. I cried when I heard the verdict not only for the verdict but now, the family and friends can begin to grieve.

Living vicariously much?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

absolutely brilliant news for the corbett family .

hopefully lengthy sentences, no doubt filled with appeals

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Living vicariously much?

I am from Limerick and know his sister :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

They are back in the courtroom after their break, sentencing expected

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Sentencing expected to go ahead today.

Advertisement