Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

erica74 wrote:
    ^^^ what's the likelihood of the verdict being overturned at this stage?

Maybe the term. But there'd also need to be some new evidence.

I wonder if it will now come out what the children said in their statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 alexx123

If convicted of murder in Ireland they would get life, the average length served by life prisoners released last year was 22 years.

Were they not convicted of 2nd degree murder/manslaughter?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

On the off chance you're being serious?

Both guilty, 20-25 years each.

Yeah, sorry, totally zoned out there. I know the family but couldn't bare to check it today, been concentrating on work. The kids have played with my kids and they are great children, I feel so sorry for them.

These two criminals are absolute scumbags of the highest order. With North Carolina you never know. I have impaired confidence in the strength of their legal system.

As a side note, I hope Niall Boylan will apologise to people aswell for seeking to inflame the issue at a time he had sufficient and adequate knowledge that he shouldn't. No one could really meet him head on on this at the time as there was always due process and no one wanted to give any further platform to it or build a trial by media type debate that the Martens could point to as any reference for prejudice before due process, but we can call a spade a spade now and say Niall Boylan should hang his head in shame. The actions of Molly were abnormal and now evidently incredibly sinister. He knew that. We all knew that. He never had any class, but his actions here were beyond the joke and unfortunately it found its way to those children on the playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Missix

pjohnson wrote: »
    I wouldnt be cheering yet. Sure the Jury did thier job. They could still c*ck it up with the appeal.

Maybe,maybe not.

But today is a good day,so let the family breathe easier for now.

If they have to fight another day, well that's for the future.

• Advertisement

Justice is served. Molly will be swapping one exclusive gated community for a quite different gated community.

I certainly had my doubts about the prosecution securing a conviction, not because they didn't do a good job but because of the defence strategy and the crap they came out with- the jury thankfully didn't fall for the bull.

RIP Jason Corbett.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fiachraX

everlast75 wrote: »
    FF td says she tried to contact the family after the murder. This to include trying to hire a plan to fly over the family area with a message
    Apparently that would have been a birthday message for the children. Initially a firm agreed and then pulled out. She also looked for a half page ad in one of the Limerick papers and was turned down.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/144282/Limerick-companies-reject-Molly-Martens-.html

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

FF td says she tried to contact the family after the murder. This to include trying to hire a plan to fly over the family area with a message

I remember that, I heard that Molly tried to hire an Irish Aviation company to fly a message over for the children to see, when she was turned down by the Irish company she tried an American aviation company, who turned her down also. I also heard she tried to take out an advertisment with a local Limerick paper wishing Jack a happy birthday and as far as I recall this ad was supposed to also include her phone number, the paper turned down the ad.

That is correct. The woman was relentless. Thankfully the company declined to fly her banner over Limerick.

There was a shedload of stuff on Facebook too, though it's probably deleted now no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

myshirt wrote: »
    Yeah, sorry, totally zoned out there. I know the family but couldn't bare to check it today, been concentrating on work. The kids have played with my kids and they are great children, I feel so sorry for them.

These two criminals are absolute scumbags of the highest order. With North Carolina you never know. I have impaired confidence in the strength of their legal system.

As a side note, I hope Niall Boylan will apologise to people aswell for seeking to inflame the issue at a time he had sufficient and adequate knowledge that he shouldn't. No one could really meet him head on on this at the time as there was always due process and no one wanted to give any further platform to it or build a trial by media type debate that the Martens could point to as any reference for prejudice before due process, but we can call a spade a spade now and say Niall Boylan should hang his head in shame. The actions of Molly were abnormal and now evidently incredibly sinister. He knew that. We all knew that. He never had any class, but his actions here were beyond the joke and unfortunately it found its way to those children on the playground.

Who gives a sh!t about what Niall Boylan has to say about anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

anna080 wrote: »

Wasn't he the lad who joined the mile high club on his own?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,088 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I remember that, I heard that Molly tried to hire an Irish Aviation company to fly a message over for the children to see, when she was turned down by the Irish company she tried an American aviation company, who turned her down also. I also heard she tried to take out an advertisment with a local Limerick paper wishing Jack a happy birthday and as far as I recall this ad was supposed to also include her phone number, the paper turned down the ad.

She comes across now as an absolute head case.

fiachraX wrote: »

Since they did such a sh1te job of defending the first time around, I'll be stocking up with the popcorn to see what crap they can dream up now. They had their best chance and royally messed up. I don't think an appeal is anything to worry about- they won't be successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Batter the man to death with his kids asleep down the hall then besmirch his character with false accusations at the trial. Then once found guilty she starts claiming psychological issues. The Martens show themselves to be a class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Molly is all kinds of crazy. A deluded, unapologetic murderer. She disgusts me as does her father.

The Martens family appear to have no shame at all. Apparently the bill for the ambulance that took away Jason's body was sent by their solicitors to the Lynch family.
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/205148/Ambulance-bill-for-night-of-killing.html

anna080 wrote: »

He had yerone on for a half hour slot telling the story and sobbing about the kids, sympathising with her and sensationalising the whole thing.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he was knocking one out at the controversy he was stirring up.

Anyway, I digress...

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Without being vengeful or spiteful, i hope mr. Corbett has breathed his last as a free man. As for Molly...not long enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Why is this not a death penalty case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

If convicted of murder in Ireland they would get life, the average length served by life prisoners released last year was 22 years.

That's bull. Usually 12 years is served for life in Eire

"Of those prisoners serving life sentences who have been released, the average sentence served in prison is approximately 12 years. "

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_trial/types_of_sentences.html

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Missix

Without being vengeful or spiteful, i hope mr. Corbett has breathed his last as a free man. As for Molly...not long enough.

Well at least she'll be too old to have kids by the time she gets out.

Mr Martens?
    Gael23 wrote: »

Not premeditated (which would have been Murder 1). This was 'only' Murder 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Mr martens you mean ? Jason Corbett was the man killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Most atrocious Miscarriage of justice ? Let's not go mad here pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

First degree murder carries the death penalty I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Would only apply to first degree murder case I'd imagine?

And while you could argue that this pair could have been tried for first-degree, proving it and getting a conviction would have been much harder, with the obvious possibility of them walking free.

Just did some checking there, N.Carolina hasn't executed anyone in over a decade.
    In North Carolina, executions are suspended following a decision by the state's medical board that physicians cannot participate in executions, which is a requirement under state law.

• Advertisement

fiachraX wrote: »
    The Martens family appear to have no shame at all. Apparently the bill for the ambulance that took away Jason's body was sent by their solicitors to the Lynch family.
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/205148/Ambulance-bill-for-night-of-killing.html

People on here do not know the half of it as it was not widely shared or reported on. Extremely sinister and evil individuals.

For the stuff that was reported, supposedly tried to waterboard the kids when they wouldn't call her mom or if they stepped out of line. Uncles also went to Jason workplace with fake warrants, bust the safe, and took the kids passports. Separate action going on there. Willie O'Dea himself had to intervene in a joint effort with the Department to get these kids out. They left the jurisdiction within an hour of the order being granted. That is quick processing by the Irish state and Embassy isn't it, it will let you know what the initial frame of thinking was from the police and all other authorities close to the detail on this.

Picture the danger those kids were in. Picture the leverage she would have against the family with those kids in her care. Shut your mouth or they are next. Scumbags.

Advertisement