Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fiachraX

The uncle (Mike Earnest - brother of Molly's mother) who gave a character witness for Mr Martens just before sentencing is ex-FBI too. I'm quite sure he's seen other miscarriages of justice, but this is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    That's bull. Usually 12 years is served for life in Eire

"Of those prisoners serving life sentences who have been released, the average sentence served in prison is approximately 12 years. "

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_trial/types_of_sentences.html

you left out this line from your quote
    "[font=Arial, "Trebuchet MS", sans-serif, Verdana]This, however, is only an average; there are prisoners serving life sentences in Ireland who have spent in excess of thirty years in custody."[/font]

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    That's bull. Usually 12 years is served for life in Eire

"Of those prisoners serving life sentences who have been released, the average sentence served in prison is approximately 12 years. "

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_trial/types_of_sentences.html

I specified that it was the average served by life prisoners released last year. Which was an increase of over 4 years on the previous year. Could you provide more context for your stat, when it was compiled etc.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/explained-how-long-is-a-life-sentence-for-irish-criminals-35610149.html

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Sounds like the kids are lucky to be safe...

At least the sister seems like she'll look after them as best she can.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That whole Martens family seems to be like the Sawyers from TCM. Not a sane one in the bloodline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The more I read of this case, they more I am absolutely convinced she would have done ANYTHING to stop him leaving with those children. Wtf. What a crazy fcuking bitch, who seemingly had her equally as crazy daddy wrapped around her finger. I wouldn't be surprised if she found out a few days previous and contacted her father like "he's going to take them daddy!" And he hatched a plan, "don't worry darling, I'll sort this out".
    Scum of the earth. Rotten to the core.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,320 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Have followed this all along here but was not around today. Just read all the posts. Great relief for everyone that justice was done.
    The evidence was pretty clear, though it was all circumstantial.

Seems there is a lot more info on them to come out, as re some recent posts here. Nasty people. Tom Martens disliked the man for having a few beers. Daughter must have really spun stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

On the off chance you're being serious?

Both guilty, 20-25 years each.
    Missix wrote: »
    Ah here,keep up

Why could someone not be serious be working with no access to news or working night so sleeping. Not everyone can be news sites all day

anna080 wrote: »
    The more I read of this case, they more I am absolutely convinced she would have done ANYTHING to stop him leaving with those children. Wtf. What a crazy fcuking bitch, who seemingly had her equally as crazy daddy wrapped around her finger. I wouldn't be surprised if she found out a few days previous and contacted her father like "he's going to take them daddy!" And he hatched a plan, "don't worry darling, I'll sort this out".
    Scum of the earth. Rotten to the core.

Have to agree here had to do with kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

BailMeOut wrote: »
    you left out this line from your quote
    "[font=Arial, "Trebuchet MS", sans-serif, Verdana]This, however, is only an average; there are prisoners serving life sentences in Ireland who have spent in excess of thirty years in custody."[/font]

Eh? It's an average so if some do 30 some do a lot less than 12.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Missix

Why could someone not be serious be working with no access to news or working night so sleeping. Not everyone can be news sites all day

No,but they can read the posts before theirs before posting themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

I heard her phone call on the Niall Boylan show, and thought she wasn't the full shilling then. At the time, there was no mention of an insurance policy, but did wonder if there was one involved.

My hunch was confirmed when she launched that crazy bid to get custody of the kids. How the hell did she think a court was going to award custody when there were living blood relatives.

Nope - not dealing with a full deck here. So sad for the children. I hope they get the insurance money and their Dad's pension.

Missix wrote: »
    No,but they can read the posts before theirs before posting themselves.

Maybe but could have less of the AH Here now keep up and are you joking as if how could you not be keeping up

• Registered Users Posts: 19 newgirlpp

myshirt wrote: »
    Yeah, sorry, totally zoned out there. I know the family but couldn't bare to check it today, been concentrating on work. The kids have played with my kids and they are great children, I feel so sorry for them.

These two criminals are absolute scumbags of the highest order. With North Carolina you never know. I have impaired confidence in the strength of their legal system.

As a side note, I hope Niall Boylan will apologise to people aswell for seeking to inflame the issue at a time he had sufficient and adequate knowledge that he shouldn't. No one could really meet him head on on this at the time as there was always due process and no one wanted to give any further platform to it or build a trial by media type debate that the Martens could point to as any reference for prejudice before due process, but we can call a spade a spade now and say Niall Boylan should hang his head in shame. The actions of Molly were abnormal and now evidently incredibly sinister. He knew that. We all knew that. He never had any class, but his actions here were beyond the joke and unfortunately it found its way to those children on the playground.

I notice he has unfriended her on Facebook this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Delighted with the result as everyone here in Limerick is. Relieved for Jason's family especially little Jack and Sarah.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

newgirlpp wrote: »
    I notice he has unfriended her on Facebook this evening

You're not serious? Was he friends with her on Facebook?

Yes. Two other Irish radio personalities in there too. Still.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

If they were charged with second degree murder, that means it wasn't premeditated (according to the law). What did the prosecution say was the motive - that it was a fight that got out of control? I presume they had to present a case based on the charge of second degree murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Honestly surprised and relieved by both the verdict and the sentence. Had a fear of the usual "women don't do scummy things unless they're being abused / mentally ill" trope being used and succeeding, and that certainly seemed to be the way they were trying to spin it before the actual trial.

In light of this, and in light of the allegation that Molly would hold Jack under a tap as a punishment (the actual f*ck like?! Taking a leaf out of the Donald Rumsfeld handbook or wtf?) it's even more of a relief that she didn't manage to get custody of the kids. What a monster.

I really hope that the kids manage to find some happiness among their extended family here. God knows what kind of misery and depression losing both parents, and one in such a horrifically brutal manner, sets a person up for at such a young age... Hope they have access to some kind of grief and psychological counselling that can help them adjust to life beyond this case.

• Advertisement

As much as I think Niall Boylan is crap I thought he was. Probably has said justice is done so now distancing himself from what she said with him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

For those unaware, what has Niall Boylan's involvement in this case been?

whatever99 wrote: »
    If they were charged with second degree murder, that means it wasn't premeditated (according to the law). What did the prosecution say was the motive - that it was a fight that got out of control? I presume they had to present a case based on the charge of second degree murder?

have you a link.

Would withdraw what i said then

Who? Name and shame

She was on his tabloid show about how she loved the kids how they loved her and want to stay. Also was innocent

whatever99 wrote: »

Self defence. They killed him so he couldn't kill them, apparently he was attacking Molly. Bull.

have you a link.

Would withdraw what i said then

I don't think I'm allowed put up a link. But if you look at her facebook page friend list, Adrian Kennedy and Helena O'Toole (also 4fm) are in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Championing the cause of a grief stricken soccer mom who is the real victim in all of this.

Scumbag.

Those who stir the sh!t should be made to lick the spoon, and I'd shove that spoon down his throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fiachraX

From Alex Rose's Twitter feed:
    Jury foreman reveals they initially voted unanimously for guilt of Tom Martens, but 10-2 guilt for Molly.
    The foreman says the brick being on the nightstand was the first question they all asked (much like many of you) found it peculiar.
    Foreman says the severity of #JasonCorbett's injuries played big role in verdict. "At some point it went from self defense to malice."
    https://twitter.com/AlexRoseNews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

fiachraX wrote: »
    From Alex Rose's Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/AlexRoseNews

So they thought he was initially attacking her?

Advertisement