Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Seems juries are not anonymous in NC, nor are they bound to silence re a verdict/case either. Referring to Alex Rose twitter with clip from jury foreman

https://twitter.com/AlexRoseNews/status/895345751110430721

I'm not sure whether I like that or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

have you a link.

Would withdraw what i said then

I presume you didn't mean to quote my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 newgirlpp

whatever99 wrote: »

I didn't. I added text. Perhaps it was removed as I named names. if you look yourself, one of the people is the first on the friend list. Very first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Honestly surprised and relieved by both the verdict and the sentence. Had a fear of the usual "women don't do scummy things unless they're being abused / mentally ill" trope being used and succeeding, and that certainly seemed to be the way they were trying to spin it before the actual trial.

In light of this, and in light of the allegation that Molly would hold Jack under a tap as a punishment (the actual f*ck like?! Taking a leaf out of the Donald Rumsfeld handbook or wtf?) it's even more of a relief that she didn't manage to get custody of the kids. What a monster.

I really hope that the kids manage to find some happiness among their extended family here. God knows what kind of misery and depression losing both parents, and one in such a horrifically brutal manner, sets a person up for at such a young age... Hope they have access to some kind of grief and psychological counselling that can help them adjust to life beyond this case.
    Tracey said after the custody case that they'd arranged counselling for the kids when they got home. The full psychological effects might not come to the fore for those kids until they are well into their teenage years and the full horror hits them but I imagine the family will keep a good eye on them and provide as much counselling as is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

newgirlpp wrote: »
    I didn't. I added text. Perhaps it was removed as I named names. if you look yourself, one of the people is the first on the friend list. Very first.

Not you, martingriff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

As much as I think Niall Boylan is crap I thought he was. Probably has said justice is done so now distancing himself from what she said with him

For those who didn't hear it: https://soundcloud.com/bloodboylan/exclusive-molly-martens-corbett-spoke-to-classic-hits-4fm

https://twitter.com/niallboylan4fm/status/639534449080799232

I was always of the opinion that Boylan was a scumbag, this is merely reinforcing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 newgirlpp

anna080 wrote: »
    Who? Name and shame

See further down the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

BailMeOut wrote: »
    you left out this line from your quote
    "[font=Arial, "Trebuchet MS", sans-serif, Verdana]This, however, is only an average; there are prisoners serving life sentences in Ireland who have spent in excess of thirty years in custody."[/font]

But wouldn't at least some of these be those put away for Capital Murder, eg the murder of a Garda in the course of his/her duty? That has a minimum tarrif of at least 30 years I think. To make up for the fact that at the time they were sentenced, the mandatory sentence was death by hanging, which was almost automatically commuted by the Minister for Justice to life with a LONG minimum tariff.

Of course, since we made the death penalty unconstitutional a few years back, capital murder just gets the long sentence but it's still supposed to demonstrate a special revulsion.

I was busy this evening and I've only caught up on all that's happened since 5. I'm so glad they got 20-25 each. The courtroom reporter is a star for his updates. I was enraged reading that fcuking b!tch sobbed that the kids will lose both of their parents. They already lost both of their parents you cnut and one of them is on you :mad:

I'm just an outsider and the behaviour of the Martens and their family has disgusted me to the core. The poor Corbett/Lynch family, not just reading this but having to live through it. Nothing can make up for the loss of Jason but at least they know that the two responsible are going to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

whatever99 wrote: »

Sorry no wrong post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Missix

Interesting that of her 3 brothers,2 were supposed to speak for her as defence witnesses,and 2 showed up in court today.

I'm guessing the 3rd knew his sister was guilty as fcuk

For those who didn't hear it: https://soundcloud.com/bloodboylan/exclusive-molly-martens-corbett-spoke-to-classic-hits-4fm

https://twitter.com/niallboylan4fm/status/639534449080799232

I was always of the opinion that Boylan was a scumbag, this is merely reinforcing that.

I had not heard it guessing why you quoted me. But I agree witth ypu Niall Boylan will do anything to get rating and was big at the time should have thought more. All those night in disco's has damaged his common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

They're appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

"The truth will come our niw, in 2008 her ex fiancee lucky guy wrote a book and described her serious psychiatric illness, her parents choose to ignore her illness abd didnt get her the help she needed, she has bi polar and maic depression, she was taking 16 different meds just before she arrived here as a nanny. The guy was k mcginn and he calls her mary in his book, I guess that book will be in demand now, it was published in 2011. Lufe is what they should bith get, but I believe she killed him after she sedated him and the father helped her clen up and cook up a story. Protecting her fir all the wrong reason."

This appeared on my facebook page about Molly Martens. I have no idea if what is said is true or not. But if it is true there are so many

issues that were never dealt with.

My thoughts are with the two little children and their extended family. While the Martens' sentence is a sort of closure, two little ones

have no mammy or daddy for the rest of their lives. So sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Missix

Sample Chapter of Keith McGinns book

https://keithmaginn.com/sample-chapter/

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭EmzBoBo

Heard the verdict in the car on the way home... am absolutely delighted for Jason Corbett's family and friends! Nothing will bring him back, but at least his murderers are now facing justice.
    Two things that really disgusted me about today though were the fact that Molly Martens said:
    "I’m really sorry mom, I wish they’d just kill me”, and "[the] Children will lose both parents".
    I'd ask if that witch had any shame, but I think we all already know the answer to that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Missix wrote: »
    Sample Chapter of Keith McGinns book

https://keithmaginn.com/sample-chapter/

Thanks for that. Tough to read. You never really what people have to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

As somebody who is completely new to this whole trial, are there any good articles to learn about it?

EmzBoBo wrote: »
    Heard the verdict in the car on the way home... am absolutely delighted for Jason Corbett's family and friends! Nothing will bring him back, but at least his murderers are now facing justice.
    Two things that really disgusted me about today though were the fact that Molly Martens said:
    "I’m really sorry mom, I wish they’d just kill me”, and "[the] Children will lose both parents".
    I'd ask if that witch had any shame, but I think we all already know the answer to that...
    She comes across as having no empathy whatsoever and it's all about "me me me". Even if it was a case of self defence gone wrong (and no one is buying that), no normal person would expect the kids to stay with them after they killed their father. She didn't love Sarah and Jack as individuals, she was obsessed with the idea of them being her children.

• Advertisement

As somebody who is completely new to this whole trial, are there any good articles to learn about it?
    If you're on twitter, look up Alex Rose. He was a court reporter tweeting live from the court room and the best source of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    you left out this line from your quote
    "[font=Arial, "Trebuchet MS", sans-serif, Verdana]This, however, is only an average; there are prisoners serving life sentences in Ireland who have spent in excess of thirty years in custody."[/font]

Eh? It's an average so if some do 30 some do a lot less than 12.....
    Current average for life in Ireland is 18 years however you can get life for a lot less than murder in Ireland.  Graham Dywer for example will not be out in 18 years or anytime soon after that.  The Dondon who is serving life will most likely never get out of jail ever and if he does he will be a very old man.
    Interesting read here https://courtsnewsireland.ie/7-irelands-longest-serving-prisoners-3/2016/02/03/

EmzBoBo wrote: »
    Paddy Cow wrote: »
    She comes across as having no empathy whatsoever and it's all about "me me me". Even if it was a case of self defence gone wrong (and no one is buying that), no normal person would expect the kids to stay with them after they killed their father. She didn't love Sarah and Jack as individuals, she was obsessed with the idea of them being her children.

If she is as mentally ill as that sample chapter says I say she might be in a world of her own and believe what she says.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Current average for life in Ireland is 18 years however you can get life for a lot less than murder in Ireland.  Graham Dywer for example will not be out in 18 years or anytime soon after that.  The Dondon who is serving life will most likely never get out of jail ever and if he does he will be a very old man.
    Interesting read here https://courtsnewsireland.ie/7-irelands-longest-serving-prisoners-3/2016/02/03/

The Martens were convicted of second degree murder which is the equivalent to our manslaughter which can garner setences as low as 7 years here, or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    The Martens were convicted of second degree murder which is the equivalent to our manslaughter which can garner setences as low as 7 years here, or am I missing something?

It's not equivalent to our manslaughter. It's a completely separate charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

anna080 wrote: »
    It's not equivalent to our manslaughter. It's a completely separate charge.

Not disagreeing with you as my knowledge of the case isn't great but RTE has a description of second degree murder as
    Second-degree murder is defined as an intentional killing that was not premeditated.

Sounds very much like our manslaughter law :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Not disagreeing with you as my knowledge of the case isn't great but RTE has a description of second degree murder as

Sounds very much like our manslaughter law :confused:

1st degree: premeditated and intentional
    2nd degree: intentional
    Manslaughter: unintentional

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    They're appealing.
    They're appalling!

Advertisement