Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Anyone else think it's mad that they can report so much from the actual court proceedings? Almost live tweeting the trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I'm wondering if Molly was able to have children herself? She seemed to have an unhealthy obsession with Jason's kids. She may never have loved Jason and just married him because he had kids. The kids mother being dead could have been a bonus for Molly. No real mother to get in the way of her having those kids for the rest of her life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 newgirlpp

KKkitty wrote: »
    I'm wondering if Molly was able to have children herself? She seemed to have an unhealthy obsession with Jason's kids. She may never have loved Jason and just married him because he had kids. The kids mother being dead could have been a bonus for Molly. No real mother to get in the way of her having those kids for the rest of her life.

I think I recall reading something that she couldn't have children. But then, that's relying on my memory and the accuracy of a news article I think I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Well she'll never have kids now anyway. Thankfully. The dirty ruthless shameless bitch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

erica74 wrote: »
    Anyone else think it's mad that they can report so much from the actual court proceedings? Almost live tweeting the trial?
    I think it's actually a good thing. Alex Rose's twitter reporting was an accurate representation of what happened. We got to know all the facts and didn't have to rely on tabloids taking one or two statements and using them to create sensationalist headlines for clickbait.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

That's the only solace. I'm only guessing she won't see her own dad ever again too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,320 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Nice memories of Jason on RTE News from his work colleagues in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

January wrote: »
    Nope, I think both of them did. I think she started it in a frenzy and when daddy arrived up he finished him off.

We'll never really know. But my own instincts tell me that Jason may have been dead before the father did his bit. She was an athlete, strong, a swimmer. Plausibly stronger than her father given his age. Rage + blunt hard object...it wouldn't take many blows...and I hope it didn't tbh. Blunt trauma death often wouldn't involve much blood. The subsequent mess and further disfigurement may have been the father's desperate attempt at implicating himself to absolve his daughter...happy he failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Water John wrote: »
    Nice memories of Jason on RTE News from his work colleagues in Limerick.
    I saw that and you could tell it was genuine warm memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I wonder if Daddy is now wishing that he'd let her take her chance with an insanity defence? He'll have plenty of time to reflect on that over the next 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

I'm actually annoyed that she's even allowed to use his surname. They got what they deserve and hopefully the old man will see his days out in jail. Molly for her part will never have kids and emerge from jail wrinkly and old. It's not enough tbh for what they did but it's justice of a sort. I hope his kids will now benefit from.the hefty life insurance policy she had taken out on Jason and God help them hopefully somehow they will cope with the loss of their dad and have happy lives as I'm sure their dad wanted for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I wonder if Daddy is now wishing that he'd let her take her chance with an insanity defence? He'll have plenty of time to reflect on that over the next 20 years.

Now his wife is left to face a cancer struggle alone because of the actions of her disgusting husband and vulture daughter. Hope he thinks about that every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Lirange wrote: »
    We'll never really know. But my own instincts tell me that Jason may have been dead before the father did his bit. She was an athlete, strong, a swimmer. Plausibly stronger than her father given his age. Rage + blunt hard object...it wouldn't take many blows...and I hope it didn't tbh. Blunt trauma death often wouldn't involve much blood. The subsequent mess and further disfigurement may have been the father's desperate attempt at implicating himself to absolve his daughter...happy he failed.

I think that one of the jurors says that they could (the jurors) have believed the self defence but with the level of the beating it may have started out because of that and then came something more then self defence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Bambi985 wrote: »
    So glad the jury didn't fall for their bullsh1t. Molly reminds me of Amy in Gone Girl, deluded and dangerous, an out and out sociopath. She even looks like her.

The jury wrapped this up before they finished their coffee and doughnuts. I wonder if their request for Molly's statement was just to make up the minutes and not make it look like they hastily rushed into a verdict on such a serious case. But if it looks open and shut...you'll want to shut it...because the stench of the BS can only be indulged for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 newgirlpp

anna080 wrote: »
    Now his wife is left to face a cancer struggle alone because of the actions of her disgusting husband and vulture daughter. Hope he thinks about that every day.

She knew exactly what was happening on the floor above her. How could she not?! I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone but difficult to feel sympathy when she sat back and allowed two
    children become orphans

• Registered Users Posts: 21,320 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The initial split on Molly was 10-2. So a good bit of discussion was held and review of the evidence to take it to unanomous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

erica74 wrote:

Haven't you ever watched judge Judy?

Anyway all the info coming out now about Molly's psychiatric condition throws a lot of light on events. Now we can understand why there was a brick; why Molly was so obsessed with his children; why he would never allow her to adopt them and why he wanted to move home.

He protected his children by refusing to let her have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Delighted with the result.

Some comments here are starting to resemble a facebook page though, which isn't appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Anyway all the info coming out now about Molly's psychiatric condition throws a lot of light on events. Now we can understand why there was a brick; why Molly was so obsessed with his children; why he would never allow her to adopt them and why he wanted to move home.

to be fair judge judy isnt a real court.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I love Judge Judy but it's about minor matters.
    I think I wouldn't be comfortable with that much detail being made public if I was involved. That's just me though. I can understand the public wanting to know justice is being done.

The brick on the bedside table is bananas, like what possible believable explanation could anyone have for that ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

anna080 wrote: »

Karma's a bitch innit..... It's nothing to what Jason's kids are facing alone as orphans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

All you have to do if you work in defence is to create a reasonable doubt. It can be anything, and commonly they will try chip at the quality of the police work and everything that they can. All you need is one bite. They even tried this 'Thanks for your service Mr Martens' bullsh't. The white FBI hero. Not corrupt at all.

To get a conviction, your case needs to be as tight as a ducks arse, and rightly so. Well done to the DA here. Thank god this did not fall into the bucket of 'Just because you did it, doesn't mean you are guilty', which if you have a good lawyer... it can. Don't believe the fairytales, justice does not always prevail. The nature and concept of the standard of proof in criminal law is such that it would prefer 1,000 murderers walk free than one innocent man be hung. It is hard to get a conviction, and they got it.

This fella really f#cked up. White, rich, god fearing Tennessee, former FBI. And still went down in a Republican Bible belt state. God knows how it would have went if he was a 300 pound black man.

Lirange wrote: »
    That's not true. Marten's testified that they struggled up and down the hall and the evidence supports that. He was clearly involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I think that one of the jurors says that they could (the jurors) have believed the self defence but with the level of the beating it may have started out because of that and then came something more then self defence
    The foreman said that i think. It was 10-2 on molly but they looked again and found that what started as self-defense became something else. My paraphrasing.

Scary that the jury bought the self-defense angle but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

erica74 wrote: »

The brick on the bedside table is bananas, like what possible believable explanation could anyone have for that ever?

Easy - her phone gets hot when its charging and she had seen fires caused by same on the news so it was the handiest most solid "heatproof" thing she could find

this sorta diy yoke :

http://www.instructables.com/id/Stone-phone-charging-dock/

A few poster's mentioned that Niall Boylan gave Molly air time on his show. I listened to about five minutes of the podcast before I had to turn it off. He was basically spoon feeding her victim hood about how she lost her children, how upset it must make her feel etc etc. She was of course crying blah blah. It made my skin crawl.

I actually had no problem with Niall Boylan before this. His show is like the comments section of the Daily Mail come to life. Something you subscribe to for the lolz and his show can be entertaining. He went too far though. I didn't realise he had Molly on his show until I read this thread and I wondered if tonight he would address the issue.

I tuned in at 9.20 - they were talking about immigrants (same as they were at lunchtime today)

I tuned in again at 10.20 - they're still talking about immigrants/asylum seekers

He's obviously not going to man up and take the flak and it waiting for it to blow over. This is Ireland Niall and people have long memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

She had a cheek wanting to hold on to the children after it turned out she was involved in his murder.
    Paddy Cow wrote: »
    A few poster's mentioned that Niall Boylan gave Molly air time on his show. I listened to about five minutes of the podcast before I had to turn it off. He was basically spoon feeding her victim hood about how she lost her children, how upset it must make her feel etc etc. She was of course crying blah blah. It made my skin crawl.

I actually had no problem with Niall Boylan before this. His show is like the comments section of the Daily Mail come to life. Something you subscribe to for the lolz and his show can be entertaining. He went too far though. I didn't realise he had Molly on his show until I read this thread and I wondered if tonight he would address the issue.

I tuned in at 9.20 - they were talking about immigrants (same as they were at lunchtime today)

I tuned in again at 10.20 - they're still talking about immigrants/asylum seekers

He's obviously not going to man up and take the flak and it waiting for it to blow over. This is Ireland Niall and people have long memories.

They're not her children though, she wouldn't be married to the guy if his first wife hadn't died.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Demonique wrote: »
    She had a cheek wanting to hold on to the children after it turned out she was involved in his murder.

I think what will come to light about her character yet will be terrifying.

Advertisement