Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭EmzBoBo

Just to pick up on this, and I am not sure if it has been cleared up on thread or not yet as I am only reading now but she was actually misquoted originally

She did not say "I wish they'd just kill me" she said "I wish he had killed me."

Which of course is actually even worse, vile creatures.

That's even worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Call me Al

EmzBoBo wrote: »
    That's even worse!

I think she has serious mental health issues, far beyond just bipolar that even the judge referred to when passing sentence, saying that she should have access to appropriate mental health care while jailed .
    Her parents failed her. I get the impression she is spoilt and her parents have enabled her behaviour and poor care of her mental health all her life.
    How they thought it was acceptable for her to become an au-pair to two toddler children a few weeks after being released from psychiatric care is beyond indefensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Just to pick up on this, and I am not sure if it has been cleared up on thread or not yet as I am only reading now but she was actually misquoted originally

She did not say "I wish they'd just kill me" she said "I wish he had killed me."

Which of course is actually even worse, vile creatures.

Every news source reporting what she said is quoting her as saying 'I wish they'd just kill me' not 'I wish he had killed me'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

kylith wrote: »
    With no way to prove who struck the fatal blow both of them had to be charged with murder.

Fair enough. I stand by what I said though, I still think Molly was the killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/they-are-not-human-beings-grandmother-of-jason-corbetts-children-hits-out-at-his-killers-801502.html

The views of his first wife's mother probably underline the lies the Martens tried to put across about his character.

Wow, that's strong testimony from his mother in law.
    Was it only the Martens so who tried to blacken his name by talking about him being abusive.

Because I admit, from just casually following this trial, they did a good job of muddying the waters.

Shocking what was done to this man.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

myshirt wrote:
    He had yerone on for a half hour slot telling the story and sobbing about the kids, sympathising with her and sensationalising the whole thing. I wouldn't be surprised if he was knocking one out at the controversy he was stirring up.

You should ring him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Call me Al wrote: »
    I think she has serious mental health issues, far beyond just bipolar that even the judge referred to when passing sentence, saying that she should have access to appropriate mental health care while jailed .
    Her parents failed her. I get the impression she is spoilt and her parents have enabled her behaviour and poor care of her mental health all her life.
    How they thought it was acceptable for her to become an au-pair to two toddler children a few weeks after being released from psychiatric care is beyond indefensible.
    Aww didums. Dont waste money treating the bint.

Anyway read in the Independent that she was in for his life insurance? Surely that will go to his children right? And it also said he bought the home, could this asset also be credited to his children?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

I fist pumped in my car on the way home from work yesterday when I heard this verdict. Absolutely delighted that justice was served here after following the story for the last few years. All that aside, Jesus Christ... what a dramatic and ****ed up story, that you literally couldn't write. I was telling my partner the story in my own words last night and she couldn't believe how messed up it all was.

I feel so sorry for the Corbett family, not just for the loss of their son, brother and father, but also for the defamation of his character due to spin created by his killers that he was abusive. There is no evidence to state that Jason Corbett was ever abusive to Molly or to any of his ex partners, shame on anyone that jumped on the usual band wagon when someone is accused of abuse, especially given the history of his unstable accuser. Speculating about stuff like domestic abuse when there is no evidence is so dangerous, and undermines the great struggle seen by so many men and women that have to endure it, so I'd ask that this case be a lesson to not speculate about stuff like this unless there is clear evidence. It is as bad as labelling someone a sex offender without evidence, it hurts the person accused and their families for the rest of their life regardless of being found innocent or not. Speculation of this nature needs to stop, end of.

I'd be in agreement with a lot of people on this thread. I think Molly killed Jason or at least caused serious brain damage with the first blows. Her father tried to cover it up to either take the fall for his daughter or to try to say it was self defence. I am not a father so I don't fully understand Tom Martens's mindset, would any parents out there do anything to save their son or daughter? I suspect a few people would say yes. As horrible as the crime was I at least understand why the father done what he done, while with Molly I just think she is pure evil. Let her rot in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Listening to the 911 call on YouTube the father seems quite calm. And seemingly feigning stupidity at not knowing if he was dead or not.

FFS, an FBI guy who can't check a pulse. Give me a break. Clearly he didn't want to admit to the 911 operator the poor man's head was caved in.

Then Molly Martens audibly turning up the drama and tears when the emergency services arrive on scene. And no intention of doing CPR even though certified?

Damning.
    Thank God they went down for this.

• Advertisement

Kunkka wrote: »
    I feel so sorry for the Corbett family, not just for the loss of their son, brother and father, but also for the defamation of his character due to spin created by his killers that he was abusive. There is no evidence to state that Jason Corbett was ever abusive to Molly or to any of his ex partners, shame on anyone that jumped on the usual band wagon when someone is accused of abuse, especially given the history of his unstable accuser. Speculating about stuff like domestic abuse when there is no evidence is so dangerous, and undermines the great struggle seen by so many men and women that have to endure it, so I'd ask that this case be a lesson to not speculate about stuff like this unless there is clear evidence. It is as bad as labelling someone a sex offender without evidence, it hurts the person accused and their families for the rest of their life regardless of being found innocent or not. Speculation of this nature needs to stop, end of.

Was there evidence that he was abusive or was that claimed?

I understood the defence was that he was violent that night, but not necessarily that he was abusive over a sustained period of time.

No wonder the defence failed, presumably they were asked to produce medical or police records of previous attacks and that would have been an obvious hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Just as an aside on the case why did the prosecution object to Thomas Marten's claiming that Mags Fitzpatrick's father told him that he felt Jason was responsible for Mags death? Leaving aside that this would be a highly bizarre conversation to strike up with a near stranger, the medical evidence would have shown it was an asthma attack and Mr Fitzpatrick made a sworn statement that he never said such a thing. Presumably Mrs Fitzpatrick could also have given evidence in support of Jason's character as she did this morning. I would have thought it showed up a definite lie and totally undermined Marten's already fairly incredible story while at the same time affirming Jason's good character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

Listening to the 911 call on YouTube the father seems quite calm. And seemingly feigning stupidity at not knowing if he was dead or not.

Yeah, and just after he supposedly started CPR he says he's handing the phone back to his daughter. How can you do CPR with one hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

Missix wrote: »
    What did the wife do....stay put in her bed and do nothing until the police eventually arrived.Not run to her daughter,or the children,or call the police.

Sure even during the 911 call there is no mention of the wife. Molly had to go down and turn on the porch light and open door for the the response team.

Was she ever called as a witness? Did she say she slept through the whole thing so was never called to give evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Just as an aside on the case why did the prosecution object to Thomas Marten's claiming that Mags Fitzpatrick's father told him that he felt Jason was responsible for Mags death? Leaving aside that this would be a highly bizarre conversation to strike up with a near stranger, the medical evidence would have shown it was an asthma attack and Mr Fitzpatrick made a sworn statement that he never said such a thing. Presumably Mrs Fitzpatrick could also have given evidence in support of Jason's character as she did this morning. I would have thought it showed up a definite lie and totally undermined Marten's already fairly incredible story while at the same time affirming Jason's good character.

I think it was the Judge who disallowed that to be entered into the court proceedings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

irishmoss wrote: »
    Sure even during the 911 call there is no mention of the wife. Molly had to go down and turn on the porch light and open door for the the response team.

Was she ever called as a witness? Did she say she slept through the whole thing so was never called to give evidence?

She had the right not to testify because her spouse was on trial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spousal_privilege

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

irishmoss wrote: »

Apparently, she claims that she did not know anything, that night when the emergency services arrived she came to the door and asked them what was going on or something to that effect.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Just as an aside on the case why did the prosecution object to Thomas Marten's claiming that Mags Fitzpatrick's father told him that he felt Jason was responsible for Mags death?

For any number of reasons. Presumably it was hearsay. And not relevant. And speculative. Giving someone else's opinion on a different incident, whether the comment was made or not, would always be struck out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Talked to the reporter that has been quoted here at the start he also said that that interview was before her arrest and only about the kids. Ya right�� he saw a sob story involving ireland and ran with it. I think he said he will talk about in today's show hoping the ire has gone a bit. Let's see will heJ
    They're not addressing it on the Niall Boylan show. I tuned in to see and he simply replayed the interview he did with Alex Rose from last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Never going to happen, she's too me, me me.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Never going to happen, she's too me, me me.

She said something yesterday along the lines of "my father isn't a murderer", I notice she didn't say the same for herself. I think she could crack in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Missix

She'll never do that,she has herself totally convinced she is an innocent little flower.Her self righteousness in doggedly insisting those kids should be with her,after she had battered their father to death proved that.

She does not think she was wrong.And after being brought up by Mr 'we're better than them' and Mrs 'I'm saying nothing',well...it's easy to see where she got her attitude from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

she sounds like she has borderline personality disorder or something. some real hand that rocks the cradle carryon.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

smurgen wrote: »
    she sounds like she has borderline personality disorder or something. some real hand that rocks the cradle carryon.
    "Borderline"?

Understatement of the year there smurgen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

What a waste of a face, at least Bea Smith in cell block H will be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Daddy is in max for his own protection. He will be locked up 23 hours a day, get his meals through a slot in the door. No interaction with other inmates.

I would imagine the appeal will goes as follows:

Molly will say she did it all and daddy is totally innocent, in the vain hope of getting the old man out.
    Damn. Was hoping he'd be sharing with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

For any number of reasons. Presumably it was hearsay. And not relevant. And speculative. Giving someone else's opinion on a different incident, whether the comment was made or not, would always be struck out.

It was clearly bollox which is obviously the grounds to rule it inadmissible. The point I am making is that the prosecution must have objected in order to have it ruled inadmissible whereas if it had been allowed, the rebuttal would have exposed Martens as a liar. I just thought it was a bad tactical decision from the prosecution.

seamus wrote: »
    "Borderline"?

Understatement of the year there smurgen :)

Borderline. As in emotionally unstable personality disorder.

Drama. Emotional instability. Manipulative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

It wouldn't matter even if she did say it. He was hit with the bat and the blood spatter evidence supports that Daddy Martens was the one who hit Jason with it. Molly hit him with the paving stone.

Advertisement