Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The video on this US news site has some comments from a reporter about the final stages of the trial.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/north-carolina/copy-of-wife-convicted-of-fatally-beating-husband-with-her-father/587276146

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

She is hot too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

faceman wrote: »
    The video on this US news site has some comments from a reporter about the final stages of the trial.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/north-carolina/copy-of-wife-convicted-of-fatally-beating-husband-with-her-father/587276146

Had to love the comment from Tom Marten's brother: "This is the most dreadful miscarriage of justice I have ever been a part of". Been part of many miscarriages of justice, pal?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Talked to the reporter that has been quoted here at the start he also said that that interview was before her arrest and only about the kids. Ya right�� he saw a sob story involving ireland and ran with it. I think he said he will talk about in today's show hoping the ire has gone a bit. Let's see will heJ
    They're not addressing it on the Niall Boylan show. I tuned in to see and he simply replayed the interview he did with Alex Rose from last night.
    Colour me not surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭JoeA3

kylith wrote: »
    Had to love the comment from Tom Marten's brother: "This is the most dreadful miscarriage of justice I have ever been a part of". Been part of many miscarriages of justice, pal?

Yeah such utter tosh. Dellusional.

I suspect the crys of "we will appeal this travesty" will subdue in a few days once the dust settles and they realise (or are persuaded) that an appeal has little chance of success. They'll need Saul Goodman on this case....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

anna080 wrote:
    She said something yesterday along the lines of "my father isn't a murderer", I notice she didn't say the same for herself. I think she could crack in time.

Sounds like the ground for an appeal.
    Ready to tell the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

If that ever did happen, which is unlikely- he'd still be charged with covering up a crime and perverting the course of justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭storker

JoeA3 wrote: »

I suspect the crys of "we will appeal this travesty" will subdue in a few days once the dust settles and they realise (or are persuaded) that an appeal has little chance of success. They'll need Saul Goodman on this case....

Yep..."the kind of lawyer guilty people hire." :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Missix

kylith wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

anna080 wrote: »
    If that ever did happen, which is unlikely- he'd still be charged with covering up a crime and perverting the course of justice.

more likely as an accessory with similar sentences anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

JoeA3 wrote: »

I think Molly and Daddy are perhaps too reprehensible, even for Saul......

anna080 wrote: »

You can't really run an appeal on the basis that "I didn't tell the truth in that Court, but I didn't think it'd go badly...THIS time I'll tell the truth". They have to run an appeal on the same basis and, if the law there is the same as over here, they are limited to some error by the Judge in charging the Jury, or new evidence not presented to the Jury. The number of times a Jury is overruled on appeal on the basis that they got it wrong is almost zero - this being one of the very few and infamous exceptions...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Herbert_Wallace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

That video is twisting the truth, Fakenews it's saying Molly said "I'm sorry mom I should have let him kill me" but she didn't say that, she said “I'm sorry Mum. I wish they'd just kill me”.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sounds like the ground for an appeal.
    Ready to tell the truth.
    Funnily enough, unless she has a stack of photos somewhere, then a sudden confession is unlikely to be valid grounds for an appeal.

Even then, a stack of new evidence would require a retrial rather than an appeal. Appeals are really only for situations where the defence believes an error was made, either by the investigators, the judge or the jury.

A sudden new confession on its own would rejected as grounds for a retrial, since she could choose to refuse to take the stand again, and thus there is no new material evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Kunkka wrote: »
    I first pumped in my car on the way home from work yesterday when I heard this verdict. Absolutely delighted that justice was served here after following the story for the last few years. All that aside, Jesus Christ... what a dramatic and ****ed up story, that you literally couldn't write. I was telling my partner the story in my own words last night and she couldn't believe how messed up it all was.

I feel so sorry for the Corbett family, not just for the loss of their son, brother and father, but also for the defamation of his character due to spin created by his killers that he was abusive. There is no evidence to state that Jason Corbett was ever abusive to Molly or to any of his ex partners, shame on anyone that jumped on the usual band wagon when someone is accused of abuse, especially given the history of his unstable accuser. Speculating about stuff like domestic abuse when there is no evidence is so dangerous, and undermines the great struggle seen by so many men and women that have to endure it, so I'd ask that this case be a lesson to not speculate about stuff like this unless there is clear evidence. It is as bad as labelling someone a sex offender without evidence, it hurts the person accused and their families for the rest of their life regardless of being found innocent or not. Speculation of this nature needs to stop, end of.

I'd be in agreement with a lot of people on this thread. I think Molly killed Jason or at least caused serious brain damage with the first blows. Her father tried to cover it up to either take the fall for his daughter or to try to say it was self defence. I am not a father so I don't fully understand Tom Martens's mindset, would any parents out there do anything to save their son or daughter? I suspect a few people would say yes. As horrible as the crime was I at least understand why the father done what he done, while with Molly I just think she is pure evil. Let her rot in hell.

TMI man, TMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I am not 100% on US law but if she was to come out and say that it was all her fault could she not be retried for 1st degree murder?

If this is the case, it won't happen as North Carolina has the death penalty and whilst they may have been unable to convict on first degree murder initially, if it transpires that it was her and not the Dad who killed him, along with all the other evidence, it would be very hard for a jury to not see it as pre-meditated... where did she get the bat, where did she get the paving stone if she was being strangled?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    It wouldn't matter even if she did say it. He was hit with the bat and the blood spatter evidence supports that Daddy Martens was the one who hit Jason with it. Molly hit him with the paving stone.

I don't the fact that Daddy Martens was involved was ever in question. But you would have to wonder in what capacity.

You could argue, as I said earlier in the thread, that he genuinely believed Molly was in danger.

If as another poster suggested he walked after she had begun hitting Jason it could have looked to him like Jason was trying to hurt her rather than defend himself and in the heat of the moment Daddy Martens acted as an awful lot of fathers probably would.

And if is this case, his actions whilst deserving of punishment are understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

seamus wrote: »
    Funnily enough, unless she has a stack of photos somewhere, then a sudden confession is unlikely to be valid grounds for an appeal.

Even then, a stack of new evidence would require a retrial rather than an appeal. Appeals are really only for situations where the defence believes an error was made, either by the investigators, the judge or the jury.

A sudden new confession on its own would rejected as grounds for a retrial, since she could choose to refuse to take the stand again, and thus there is no new material evidence.

Surely if a confession by Molly is to be used as grounds for appeal she would have no choice but to take the stand to explain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Luis B

Two evil people. And that evil bitch wanting to take his kids? Let her rot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

I've just spent about a half an hour reading through Molly Martens FB page

What an evil wench... deluded to within an inch of her life.
    She kind of reminds me of the lead female character in Gone Girl 'Amy Dunne'!
    I really hope that there is some kind of hold on her ever making a cent (with books/interviews/movie etc) due to her crime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Luis B

Lunaarli wrote: »
    I've just spent about a half an hour reading through Molly Martens FB page -

What an evil wench... deluded to within an inch of her life.
    She kind of reminds me of the lead female character in Gone Girl 'Amy Dunne'!
    I really hope that there is some kind of hold on her ever making a cent (with books/interviews/movie etc) due to her crime.

She is an evil witch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭banie01

smurgen wrote: »
    she sounds like she has borderline personality disorder or something. some real hand that rocks the cradle carryon.

Very Very Hand that rocks the cradle!424858.jpg

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

For the sake of the Corbitt family you'd hope this is all done and any appeals are swiftly dismissed.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I need to watch Gone Girl

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

First pictures: Molly Martens and father Thomas moments after murdering Jason Corbett

Police photos also show the crude weapons used to kill the Limerick father.

09c693d457.jpg

6d5568565a.jpg

196f46f6ce.jpg

6c3c03f09b.jpg

e5ff377b4c.jpg

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Apparently the Martens' sent the bill for the ambulance which removed the body to Corbett's family in Limerick.

As if they didnt cause for it to have been brought. FFS.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/molly-martens-corbett-was-a-piece-of-work-says-brother-in-law-1.3182337?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

I don't the fact that Daddy Martens was involved was ever in question.

And if is this case, his actions whilst deserving of punishment are understandable.

His actions would be understandable but the ferocity and sustained nature of his actions is not.......

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

First pictures: Molly Martens and father Thomas moments after murdering Jason Corbett

Police photos also show the crude weapons used to kill the Limerick father.

09c693d457.jpg

6d5568565a.jpg

196f46f6ce.jpg

6c3c03f09b.jpg

e5ff377b4c.jpg

I'm finding it difficult to believe that's all the blood there was on them considering the damage they actually did ,

Daddy looks remarkably clean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

Gatling wrote: »
    I'm finding it difficult to believe that's all the blood there was on them considering the damage they actually did ,

Daddy looks remarkably clean

And smug.....

Advertisement