Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

My feeling is that Jason Corbett is not as angelic as is claimed in the Irish media.
    Does it justify what happened? Of course not.
    But in my experience nothing happens in a vacuum.
    It's always cause and effect.

There is absolutely no evidence that confirms what you're saying so why do you think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

My feeling is that Jason Corbett is not as angelic as is claimed in the Irish media.

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest Jason was abusive towards anyone in his life and the fact that you would make an assumption like this says something not very complementary about you.

If anyone was unhinged and dangerous it was Molly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Christ, actual crime scene photos are a world away from stylised nonsense on TV and the above really brings that home.

actual photos of lots of things are a world away :

NSFW , surgery , blood everywhere, don't click etc :

http://imgur.com/kERs801

http://imgur.com/M9tQhVX

happy surgeon is happy though :

Wpl6IWb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Do you write for the Irish Daily Mail?

...And this question is based on what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

anna080 wrote: »
    There is absolutely no evidence that confirms what you're saying so why do you think that?

I just feel we are getting one side of the story from the Irish media.

I feel there is more to this whole situation based on many years of dealing with people on both sides of domestic violence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I feel there is more to this whole situation based on many years of dealing with people on both sides of domestic violence.

I'd say you're in the wrong profession then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well, they're only going to get one side since one side is dead. Seems some people would like to think he must have done something to deserve it.
    I mean, he could very well have been abusive but based on what we have been presented, not from the Irish media as I haven't really followed what they've put out, it doesn't sound like it.
    Anything I've seen in the Irish media has been pretty much copy and paste from US twitter accounts.

Why? Because the man has to be the abuser? Because a pretty blonde lady could never amount to such a thing? Get real. There is ZERO anything to suggest that Jason was anything but a lovely father and husband. Why are you blaming the Irish media? Not even in court could they prove he was abusive.
    Suggesting anything else with nothing but only a hunch is stupid and dangerous. If you've actually dealt with DV you'd know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

PandaPoo wrote: »
    I'd say you're in the wrong profession then.

What profession do you think I'm in?
    This is voluntary work I have been doing for Women's Aid for 20 years.
    You must have given many years service to make your comments here. :pac:

If you really have spent years dealing with victims of domestic violence then you should know better than to jump to conclusions just because it's a husband who's been killed by his wife.

You shouldn't have to be told that men can be victims too and that women can be abusers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Why did the defense not come up with specifc examples of abuse from the husband then? That would be a bit stupid on their side surely or..?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,465 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

On the night in question she said he was trying to strangle her. She was told on several occasions by police to stop marking her neck.

I'd bet the farm you don't.
    And you lambast the Irish media for being one sided, but are happy enough to suggest he's abusive on nothing more than a hunch.
    I mean... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭tritium

You should probably have a chat with AMEN so to get the view of those whove seen male DV victims....

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Missix

Also note that the 2 brothers of Molly Martens who were supposed to testify about the 'abusive' history didn't testify at all.

If there was any chance the jury would have believed there was a history of abuse,do you really not think the defence lawyers would have brought it up???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Missix wrote: »
    Also note that the 2 brothers of Molly Martens who were supposed to testify about the 'abusive' history didn't testify at all.

If I was being abused by a partner and my brothers knew about it, it wouldn't be me killing him...

Here's what they had to say (interview with ABC)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

anna080 wrote: »
    I'd bet the farm you don't.
    And you lambast the Irish media for being one sided, but are happy enough to suggest he's abusive on nothing more than a hunch.
    I mean... :rolleyes:

There's no way that poster has ever done any kind of volunteer work with DV. They wouldn't last an hour with their attitude....20 years?? Keep dreaming :D

Imagine a woman or man ringing in to say they were victim to domestic violence and that poster on the other end. "Oh it's cause and effect, nothing happens in a vacuum".

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

I'm sure he wasn't an angel- nobody is. It certainly seems he made a poor judgement in marrying and placing his kids in the care of someone, who by the accounts that are emerging, had serious psychiatric problems and alcohol issues. A woman who was found unanimously guilty of murder in record time.This doesn't make him a bad person though.
    As other posters have stated there were no reports of domestic abuse etc mentioned in the trial so I find it odd you'd bring that up. I'd wager if it was a man who'd murdered his wife you wouldn't be saying the same thing. Granted I accept men are far more likely to kill than be killed. Even still, to have plucked this 'theory' from fresh air reeks of misandry to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

Those interviews are surreal, it's like they don't grasp the enormity of what's actually happened, I also don't get the scratching at her own neck, it sounds like they had plenty of time to put marks on her using her dead husbands hands, that would have made their story a lot more believable

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

kylith wrote: »
    I'd actually go as far as to give the father the benefit of the doubt. I think that Molly may have attacked Jason in the bedroom, possibly stunning him. He grabs her to defend himself, then Martens walks in an sees pretty much what he says he sees; a pissed-off Jason Corbett with a hold of Molly, and he goes in swinging without waiting to find out what's going on.

I considered this scenario too, but when Martens gave evidence he said that when he entered the bedroom he closed the door. When asked why he closed the door he replied that he did not know.

If he thought Molly was being attacked and he was in fear for his life, his actions don't tally with this. In fact, I would think that he felt no fear at all either for himself or for Molly when he entered the bedroom and closed the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

My own feeling was he was probably attacked when he was asleep, I am not sure how big he was but I saw one picture and he looked broad enough.

I didn't hear was their much time between the expected time of death and the ambulance and police arriving to the house, given how clean they both look, she might have killed him rang her dad and he came over to try manipulate the scene before they arrived.

The first time I saw their pictures I thought Molly and the dad looked like children of the corn, pure evil.

Such a terrible turn of events for Jason's kids, losing their mam, getting Molly as au pair, moving to America with their dad and the new wife and her and her dad being completely mental and taking their dad away from them. I am delighted the Corbetts got justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

The Martens took a life that night and as if that isn't bad enough, they are furthermore despicable not to tell the truth about what happened. I am so glad both of them were found guilty because both of them hit him. Molly had flesh on her person which apparently meant she was at close quarters to Jason as he was being hit so presumably that was when he was hit with the brick and TM had only blood on himself because he used the bat. And just everything else they did that night and since, all the lying, covering up, defiling Jason's name, and being arrogant enough to think they should have charge of his children, causing his family so much distress having to go to trial, everything just heaps insult on top of injury. They appear to be totally without morals or conscience or maybe just true cowards, unable to stand up and take responsibility for their actions. Imo the general public could actually understand that heat of the moment fights can happen and tempers can get out of control. Not saying it's ever right to kill someone but if something like that happened, the only thing to do is put your hands up and admit it. If the martens had done that, I don't think people would find them so revolting. But then imo the Martens have never accepted that their little princess is a very sick girl, sick as in evil and dangerous. I'd nearly bet they have spent her whole life blaming others for her cockups and cleaning up her messes. Well this time she has taken daddy dearest down the swanny with her. I was thinking about the way he happened. Could it have started by as simple a thing as JC snoring which set her off. He had a few drinks that evening apparently and maybe hating him as she did she flipped. Attacked him with the brick (why was that there ???? real weird) and he wakes up disorientated but quickly alert. He struggles with her and pushes her off him. Tells her he's leaving with the children or even possibly calling the police. She screams for daddy that Jason is attacking her. Daddy either believes her story or else he sees she is in trouble because Jason has just cause to have her arrested and no way is daddy going to allow that to happen. So he hits him to stop him leaving but Jason is a big lad and keeps moving so he hits him again and again, every bit of dislike for Jason pouring out of TM. Then it's over and they try and stage the scene enough to coincide with their story. Is that plausable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I wonder what was in the psychiatric report given to the Judge before sentencing... It may have shown her as being someone with serious anger issues that tallies with what Jasons sister mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Because they aren't telling the truth we will never know definitively what did actually happen. Any of these scenarios above are possible.
    The presence of the brick may mean that it was in fact premeditated on the part of Molly. And she grabbed her chance when she has daddy there as protection. She may have attacked Jason, and caused enough of a ruckus that TM came running with the bat. Jason is on the floor and daddy just joins in with no other evidence than his daughter saying Jason has attacked her.
    But sadly we will never know. TM will never tell the truth and Molly is well and truly in cloud cuckoo land and may actually have herself convinced that she's the victim here.

As an aside I find it quite disgusting that both Molly Martens and her mother have pictures of the Corbett children on their Facebook pages. In my eyes they have no right to profess love for these children via their pages. It's quite disgusting and disturbing. If I was their guardian I would find this deeply upsetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

January wrote: »
    Every news source reporting what she said is quoting her as saying 'I wish they'd just kill me' not 'I wish he had killed me'.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/crime/wife-father-in-law-guilty-in-jason-corbett-s-death/article_7fdee014-dd93-512f-9f6a-feb55dc44384.html
    “I’m sorry, Mom,” Molly Corbett said as she was being led away in handcuffs before a brief recess. “I wish he had killed me.”

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/i-wish-hed-just-killed-me-molly-martens-weeps-as-she-and-her-father-found-guilty-of-second-degree-murder-of-jason-corbett-36014636.html
    Ms Martens Corbett, sobbing, turned to her family in the public gallery and said: "I'm really sorry Mom - I wish he'd just killed me."

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

A couple of things jumped out at me as I listened to that interview.

I'm not sure if it was Jason's sister or brother that mentioned in another report that Molly was pretty strict with the kids? If that was indeed the case? she tried in the above interview to make out it was Jason who was strict.
    The kids were not supposed to come into the room, you know, and wake up Jason and so they would just stand outside of the door and like whisper (lowers her voice) until I heard Em.

Also, a child's whisper from outside the room was enough to wake Molly but the carnage that followed and the noise associated with it was not enough to wake Molly's Mom?????

I wonder too if that child did in fact witness some of what went on? I mean Molly suggests that child sparked the argument, could that child have been in such a deep sleep after having a nightmare? It's not clear what the time-frame was between Molly putting the child back to bed and her returning to their own bedroom. (assuming that the incident with the child did actually occur).

Molly was Jason's wife, and that is all she was, he was astute enough to have serious concerns that led him to refuse to allow Molly to adopt the two children and made it legally sound that his sister and her husband were the legal guardians in the event anything happened to him. Yet, she persisted in suggesting that they were her kids and that she was their Mom.
    I said she’s just eight she’s had a nightmare (sigh) I should be allowed to go up stairs and comfort our daughter, you know, all she wanted was her mom to lay with her for a couple of minutes.

I know there is such a thing as the little league in baseball but I just couldn't help thinking that the way her father used the term to describe the bat in that interview was designed to infer it was just a little biddy childs bat and not a monster weapon of mass destruction. (a play on words if you will).
    So I grabbed that little league baseball bat and I ran upstairs.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I've followed this from the start and nowhere, and I mean nowhere have I seen or heard as much as a morsel of remorse from either of the convicted.

Has anyone else?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

screamer wrote: »
    His actions would be understandable but the ferocity and sustained nature of his actions is not.......

Maybe but then again if your daughter was being attacked and you walked in on it do you honestly believe you wouldn't do anything in your power to protect her?

Because I know if it were me and my father walked in the attacker would end up at the very least seriously injured.

I can't imagine any father doing any differently.

Advertisement