Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I've followed this from the start and nowhere, and I mean nowhere have I seen or heard as much as a morsel of remorse from either of the convicted.

Has anyone else?

Not unless you count Molly's apologies to her mother and Daddy's tears on the stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Great to see justice done. Absolutely delighted to see both going down.

I remember following this back in about 2015 when she was trying to get custody of the kids. She really is an absolute nut job who is severely unhinged. Fierce credit to jason's sister who fought tooth and nail at the time

Nothing will bring Jason back but am over the moon for the family that justice has been done. The poor kids, but they're in good hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

anna080 wrote: »
    There is absolutely no evidence that confirms what you're saying so why do you think that?

There always has to be one sensationalist contrarion opinion

The joys of internet forums and internet hardmen

This is a very serious case ffs not an eastenders plot analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Not unless you count Molly's apologies to her mother and Daddy's tears on the stand.

i imagine that's more regret and self pity at not getting away with it than remorse over what she actually did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I've followed this from the start and nowhere, and I mean nowhere have I seen or heard as much as a morsel of remorse from either of the convicted.

Has anyone else?

Very often abusers blame their victim - the classic if you weren't so this way, I wouldn't have to be so cross with you so it's your fault I hit you.

Molly Marten and her parents imo absolutely blame JC for the prediciment they got themselves in. They are not one bit sorry for what they did, only sorry for themselves, that the police and the courts didn't disregard Jason's violent death, didn't let them go on with their lives & didn't let them have his children.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Very often abusers blame their victim - the classic if you weren't so this way, I wouldn't have to be so cross with you so it's your fault I hit you.

Molly Marten and her parents imo absolutely blame JC for the prediciment they got themselves in. They are not one bit sorry for what they did, only sorry for themselves, that the police and the courts didn't disregard Jason's violent death, didn't let them go on with their lives & didn't let them have his children.

Very true. There's a whole family of them. Molly didn't lick it off the ground. These kind of people will always find a way to make it someone else's fault and assume that they are above the law themselves - as evidenced by the uncles faking a raid on Jason's office to steal the children's passports. Irish passports for Irish Citizens. They've jeopardised their own law careers - child abduction or kidnapping is not taken lightly - and for what? Similarly Daddy Martens was all about damage limitation to his kin with the crime scene interference. And as for the way that Mammy Martens told the family (finally) that Jason was dead? Callous, cold and evil.

They'll go to their graves with it in their own twisted mind that it was Jason that was somehow to blame for what they did. The justice system and subsequent prison sentences says otherwise though no matter what their protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Police suspected that it may have been planned:
    The Irish Independent has now learned both police and prosecutors were deeply concerned over "indicators" the tragic events in the master bedroom early that morning may not have been from an impromptu confrontation that tragically escalated out of control.
    These included:
    The presence of the powerful sedative trazodone in Mr Corbett's system, a medication which was prescribed to his wife just two days beforehand.
    The unexpected visit to the Corbett home of Martens-Corbett's parents on August 1, and the fact up to half a dozen calls were received by the elderly couple from their daughter while en route from Knoxville that night.

The fact Martens-Corbett inexplicably kept a brick on her nightstand table.
    The presence of a large impact blood spatter on the quilt and underneath the box mattress, indicating Mr Corbett may have been asleep in bed when first struck.
    The fact Martens brought a metal Louisville Slugger baseball bat to the Corbett home on August 1. It was, he said, a present for Jack Corbett, then aged 10, but he never gave it to the boy that night.
    An ongoing and bitter dispute between Mr Corbett, his wife and her family over his refusal to sign adoption papers to allow her equal rights to his two children by his first wife.
    Indications Mr Corbett was planning to travel to Limerick to attend his father's 80th birthday party with his children but without his wife. Martens-Corbett was apparently concerned the children would not return with him.
    Assistant District Attorney Alan Martin said it was possible Martens-Corbett had spiked a mint mojito drink given to her husband on August 1 but failed to properly dose him with the sedative.

But obviously weren't sure that it could be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, so decided to go with the lesser charge to secure a conviction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I hope that this verdict brings some solace to Jason's children, his parents and his family.

Nothing will make up for the fact that he lost his life in such a horrific way but I hope that pair of evil creatures spend a long long time behind bars. Words fail me really, but did they actually believe that they would get away with it, and then keep his children.

May he rest in peace, and may all of his family gain some solace from the outcome of the trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

Maybe but then again if your daughter was being attacked and you walked in on it do you honestly believe you wouldn't do anything in your power to protect her?

Because I know if it were me and my father walked in the attacker would end up at the very least seriously injured.

I can't imagine any father doing any differently.

Well her dad is ex fbi. And whilst I know any father would try to protect their daughter there is reasonable force and then there is just this- slaughter. The fact that her dad is ex fbi makes this even more unsettling as he should well know more about reasonable force to neutralise a threat than Joe public dad. He knew well what he was at his mission was not to protect his daughter from her husband but to remove him from her life permanently. There's no justification for the way he beat that man to death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

LynnGrace wrote: »
    I hope that this verdict brings some solace to Jason's children, his parents and his family.

Nothing will make up for the fact that he lost his life in such a horrific way but I hope that pair of evil creatures spend a long long time behind bars. Words fail me really, but did they actually believe that they would get away with it, and then keep his children.

May he rest in peace, and may all of his family gain some solace from the outcome of the trial.
    Did they think they'd get away with it?
    Absolutely they did!
    Molly Martens has been enabled by her parents all her life by the looks of things. And it reached a climax two years ago. Daddy thought he could bully his way through and fix this for her. At best Molly would get to keep "her" children all to herself and he'd get off because he's an ex FBI servant and protector of the nation and Jason, well he's just a drunk Irish man who curses too much and was never good enough for their daughter. And shockingly that's how their defence actually played it. At worst he'd take the rap and go down for manslaughter but Molly was self-defence so she would walk away.

It is terrible terrible enablement on her parent's part.
    I have to say that to an extent it has restored my faith in the American justice system. I thought for sure they'd side with ex law enforcement as a witness against an ordinary Irishman. But the jury saw through the deception and cover-up. They saw that brick and I think they were looking at it in the context of pre-meditation.
    They have left two children orphans. In my opinion the death penalty would have been the right decision for them.

Call me Al wrote: »
    In my opinion the death penalty would have been the right decision for them.

No, let them suffer for years in jail. Death penalty is the easy way out for scum like that. Let their family spend the next 25 years visiting them in jail (they likely won't visits will dry up after a few years) and they'll be left on their own to rot away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

No, let them suffer for years in jail. Death penalty is the easy way out for scum like that. Let their family spend the next 25 years visiting them in jail (they likely won't visits will dry up after a few years) and they'll be left on their own to rot away.

Even with a 25 year sentence she'll still be out before she's 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Which is nearly worse. Too old to retrain and get a job to start a new life. She will live from welfare cheque to welfare cheque in a trailer park or ghetto. Her sentence will go on on the outside. I can't imagine her brothers will want their ex con sister living with them, they will have worked hard to eradicate all traces of her from their all American lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,907 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

PandaPoo wrote: »
    I'd say you're in the wrong profession then.

What profession do you think I'm in?
    This is voluntary work I have been doing for Women's Aid for 20 years.
    You must have given many years service to make your comments here. :pac:

Unfortunately working with Women's Aid has made you very biased on men it looks like. The only think that appears to have made her snap is his desire to go back home that and she has not been getting the treatment she needed. That does not make him an abuser . Women can just kill it is not the cause of the man. Generalizing is a dangerous thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

A " Go get funding" account has been set up for Molly and Tom Martens.

https://gogetfunding.com/right-the-wrong-help-molly-tom/

They have so far raised $6864.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Crea wrote: »

Jaysus. Mental stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭gossipgirl10

Had a look at her Facebook page earlier she really is obsessed with the kids. In a way that's understandable if you raise two kids from when they were tiny and you are their mother figure of course it's going to be tough having them taken away but Jesus you killed their father...

saw one post where she said that Jason's family wouldn't take home any of the kids personal belongings because they wanted to keep the room in their luggage for cigarettes how disrespectful

They have got to be joking?
    Molly experienced years of emotional, mental, sexual, & physical abuse from her husband, including five separate occasions where she was choked to unconsciousness.

More accusations against a dead man who can't defend himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

There is a "contact us" section on the funding Web page if people want to send a comment. There is also a fb page for the funding group where messages can be left.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Set up by Mona Earnest. Molly's Uncle was Mike Earnest, so presumably some relation.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

They'll need it, like the South Park movie song, she wont make too much in female prison given hand jobs for cash

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I set up an account in order to report it. Hopefully it gets shut down.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Comments are interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, but both her parents will have died alone and most likely her brothers will have distanced themselves from her. Her mother claimed to have cancer, so she'll be gone this decade. They won't get to say goodbye, but they might get to go to her funeral, which is the same privilege Jason's family got.
    faceman wrote: »
    Jaysus. Mental stuff.
    What makes it crazier, is that the photo they use was taken the day after they were charged with murder.

Not sure I'd be out for a happy family meal if I had a murder charge pending.

If you look at the earlier comments, it's clearly just friends and church members putting up the initial sums. These are people who are always going to side with those they know; it's common to deny you might have been wrong your whole life.

seamus wrote: »
    What makes it crazier, is that the photo they use was taken the day after they were charged with murder.

Not sure I'd be out for a happy family meal if I had a murder charge pending.

Presumably was done in an effort at normalcy, to show their conscience was clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Presumably was done in an effort at normalcy, to show their conscience was clear.
    I dunno, it's weird. An innocent person wouldn't be out having fun with such a serious charge hanging over their head.
    And to be out pretending you're having fun seems (to me) to achieve the opposite - it shows that you're a bit of a psycho rather than an innocent person with a clear conscience.

I agree, it's very strange. Hard to conceptualise how a deranged mind thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Trying to shut down a gofund me page is not on; they are entitled an appeal. By all means complain about the false accusations but you can't libel a dead person, so there's feck all that can be done in that respect.
    I can't see the 300,000 mark being reached anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Had a quick glance at her Facebook page (can't believe it's still up tbh). Many posts of her and the children with her contact details (telephone and gmail) next to them.

Terribly manipulative.

Strange entitled people who thought they were untouchable.

Advertisement