Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

myshirt wrote: »
    The state funds criminal actions, but the Corbett's are 200k+ in the hole themselves yes. There has been fundraisers and the Irish state assisted in getting those kids out initially. It was a large chunk of change. The people of Limerick helped also.
    As if they didn't have enough on their plate they don't deserve to be in debt on top of that too. That other page is up to 9300 dollars. Disgusting really. If there is one for the Corbett family I'd certainly donate too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

https://www.gofundme.com/rn6vurzc

I just came across this by googling.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Just noticed that during the trial she is still wearing the same delicate love heart bracelet that she wore during the night of the murder. I think it was mentioned in the trial that it hadn't been damaged or broken during the 'scuffle' that the Martens had said had happened. You can see it in the police photo's as she is brought in for questioning and at some of the trial photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Missix wrote: »
    http://extra.ie/news/world-news/who-was-molly-martens

Interesting to see her background up to this.

But bloody sickening to see how free she has been to enjoy her life in the 2 years since she murdered Jason.

She is not bipolar.

Her behaviour is textbook Borderline Personality Disorder.
    Drugs can't do anything about that - you need years and years of therapy to even begin to deal with it.

But as is always the case in America, they plied her full of drugs that did nothing to help her.

The parents denial of the problem is also a textbook reaction to BPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Cookie_fan wrote:
    Surely if DV was happening in the home she would have seeked advice from a lawyer and he would have advised the same (I understand she actually seeked legal assistance in relation to custody of the kids in the event of a divorce or was certainly reported). I am pretty sure there was no DV involved and the self defence argument was BS. I cant believe that TM being an educated man who was a qualified lawyer actually believed the self defence argument would wash with a jury.

There don't seem to have been any police reports, nor any other aspects such as references to any agencies about domestic violence. Nothing to back up these claims whatsoever.

Her history is very erratic and the file given to the judge under seal should probably have been given in evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

On the link that gave personal insight into Molly, there is a link to an ABC 20/20 interview with molly and dad. This was made after the charges were pressed but before yhe trial. I can't bring myself to watch it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Her history is very erratic and the file given to the judge under seal should probably have been given in evidence.
    Her legal team carried out the psychiatric test and submitted it afterwards in the hope of reducing her sentence. Why would they submit it as evidence?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I see people are using the 'followers' page on the fundraising site to express their feelings through their usernames.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

On the link that gave personal insight into Molly, there is a link to an ABC 20/20 interview with molly and dad. This was made after the charges were pressed but before yhe trial. I can't bring myself to watch it.

I saw a clip earlier. It's awful. She's still mouthing off about how the children were afraid of him and painting Jason as an irrational control freak. She's looking down to the left and to me it's as though she's making it up as she's going along.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Missix

anna080 wrote: »
    I saw a clip earlier. It's awful. She's still mouthing off about how the children were afraid of him and painting Jason as an irrational control freak. She's looking down to the left and to me it's as though she's making it up as she's going along.

The full interview is being aired tonight in America,will post it here tomorrow.

The more I hear about this case,the more admiration I have for the classiness of the Corbett Family.I really don't know how they have got through the last 2 years in such a dignified manner knowing what they must have known about the Martens family.

They certainly did Jason Corbett proud,that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,466 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

anna080 wrote: »

I've been watching it too. She definitely looks shifty and evasive when she talks about the events of that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

It's going to be on the crime channel and everything. Looks like everyone is getting in on it. A great time for all. Sher we may aswell get out the Boney M records while we are at it.

Sickening, just sickening.

This culture is tabloid. Never an exploration of the issues and facing up to those. Just spineless tabloid.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭aluminium

Devan Gann is waitin 4 a new b@~#h. Her and Cathie split up.

Molly "the Brick" Martins, betta have some concession money ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

apologies ....got a bit carried away watching orange is the new black.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

PandaPoo wrote: »
    https://www.gofundme.com/rn6vurzc

I just came across this by googling.

There was another gofundme page for the Corbett family back in 2015, IIRC it reached its target and the family thanked all those that donated, gone now but was linked from here - http://www.ilovelimerick.ie/2015/bring-jack-and-sarah-home/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Came across a photo of Molly's on the night in question ,
    She's wearing a fur coat and matching pajamas vest type top and bottom,
    Now she has some blood on her face , small amounts and some in her hair which is tied back in a pony ,
    No sign of blood on her hands or arms that are visible or the pajamas ,

Been how much blood was around the room and victim I was expecting a lot more to be on her and her father ,

Link to picture described

http://www.independent.ie/incoming/article36021093.ece/c19db/AUTOCROP/w300-1x5/molly 12.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

The go fund me page for the murdering pair of scumbags has been heavily edited considering how it started out. Looks like Molly's auntie had to remove some of her lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

The fund's up to $10,374 now. I wonder who's donating to this apart from people who are relatives and friends of the family? In a way, it's irrelevant what's said on the site. America is the home of #fakenews and the people who choose to believe the lies spun by the Martens family aren't going to be swayed by facts. It's a moot point anyway. I can't see them getting the colour of $300k

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The fund's up to €8,842 now. I wonder who's donating to this apart from people who are relatives and friends of the family? In a way, it's irrelevant what's said on the site. America is the home of #fakenews and the people who choose to believe the lies spun by the Martens family aren't going to be swayed by facts. It's a moot point anyway. I can't see them getting the colour of €256k
    All the big donations are already in. It'll fizzle out in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Pity they didn't charge them in the 1st degree which it was, a premeditated Murder. Which in the States is automatic Life without Parole or the Needle as it is in North Carolina.

The father will hopefully die before his release date, but this bitch will be out on parole in 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

I'm in the US, just watched the Martens interviews on ABCs 20/20. Horrific stuff, completely biased & the comments on the Facebook page reflect this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Chester Copperpot

Pity they didn't charge them in the 1st degree which it was, a premeditated Murder. Which in the States is automatic Life without Parole or the Needle as it is in North Carolina.

The father will hopefully die before his release date, but this bitch will be out on parole in 15 years.

I think she has a minimum term of 20 years. No remission as it stands on this verdict

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

The fund's up to $10,374 now. I wonder who's donating to this apart from people who are relatives and friends of the family? In a way, it's irrelevant what's said on the site. America is the home of #fakenews and the people who choose to believe the lies spun by the Martens family aren't going to be swayed by facts. It's a moot point anyway. I can't see them getting the colour of $300k

I think after the ABC interview is aired, there will be a significant spike in donations. There are people and groups that will automatically take the side of the 'victim' (woman) when there is even a mention of DV. If it was just daddy in prison, there'd be less sympathy.

I'd post the clip if i could but The Simpsons made a comment on America's 'trial by media' culture and how tears say more than real evidence ever could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

I am FUMING 5 minutes into watching that. Actually fuming, the amount of BS in it is driving me insane. I bumped into his cousin last night and let me tell you they will never ever get over what happened. It is sickening to think the picture some of the American media are painting of him. Jason was always a gent to me, and was the best father to the kids. Please do not believe any of the **** that bitch molly spread in this it is not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Their tactic could also be to get the family making donations to bump up the numbers, which may then encourage others to donate, you know "oh well, it's reached over 10 grand, there must be some truth to Molly's side" that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭bennyl10

The recordings she has and the kid with the therapist don't paint a good picture at all..

Why in gods name would they not bring them up at a trial?!

It's no excuse but it would have really helped the SD argument..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

bennyl10 wrote:
    The recordings she has and the kid with the therapist don't paint a good picture at all..

Did the words used by the young boy sound like the vocabulary of a young child to you? To me he sounded coached, that would explain why his interview was not used. More harm than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I have a feeling Dr Phil is going to do something on this case in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

erica74 wrote: »
    I have a feeling Dr Phil is going to do something on this case in the future.

It would be like something Donald would do, pardon them!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

spud82 wrote: »
    I am FUMING 5 minutes into watching that. Actually fuming, the amount of BS in it is driving me insane. I bumped into his cousin last night and let me tell you they will never ever get over what happened. It is sickening to think the picture some of the American media are painting of him. Jason was always a gent to me, and was the best father to the kids. Please do not believe any of the **** that bitch molly spread in this it is not true.

I've decided not to "fume" - and I'll tell you why- because Molly and her Father got convicted for 2nd degree murder based on the fact that they moved way off the scale of self defence.
    Nothing actually matters after that. Whatever hearsay or innuendo was spouted by these two individuals at the time to distract from the core issue, is now irrelevant.
    I don't believe they were "defending" themselves or if they were, it was after Molly struck the first blow. We'll probably never know the truth but the conviction is all we can ask for at this stage.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Why in gods name would they not bring them up at a trial?!

It's no excuse but it would have really helped the SD argument..

I just hear a family argue- there's absolutely no context- how do you know she didn't deliberately aggravate Jason that day just so she could record him being angry? And as others have said, the kids were coached.

Advertisement