Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭juno10353

I complained to the go fundme site owners about slanderous content on the page, and this is the reply

Hi, 

Thank you for contacting Customer Support. 

We are an impartial site that allows those facing legal costs the opportunity to raise funds from their family, friends and supporters in order to ensure they are able to employ the best legal defense they can afford - as is their absolute right. 

Our role is to ensure those who do not ordinarily have the privilege of substantial finances to defend themselves, have the chance to be represented fairly, adequately and completely. 

In legal defense cases such as this there is always high emotion and because of this we expect a large volume of complaints. However, whether our decision is seen by some to be morally questionable, within the legal system it is absolutely legal. 

We have removed a small portion of the campaign this morning which referred to aspects not introduced into the defense, but have allowed any aspect that does form part of the defense to remain. 

We have no intentions at this time to remove this campaign, as it would set a precedent for all future legal defense campaigns and appeals - which, if someone did not have the opportunity to seek adequate legal defense could potentially lead to a mistrial, miscarriage of justice or any other number of potential outcomes. 

Kind Regards,   

Victoria 

For every cause and dream, GoGetFunding 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Indo printing pics of the kids a disgrace

juno10353 wrote: »
    I complained to the go fundme site owners about slanderous content on the page... 

You can't defame the dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Evidence of him raising his voice once. Convienently recorded by her without his knowledge.
    She was baiting him - it was setting him up so she would have evidence.
    Sounds like a typical family agrument, he's frustrated yes but abusive no.
    The defense couldn't find anyone else to testify that she was in an abusive relationship, no doctors reports, no friends, her family didn't testify in the end, no counselling re DV, nothing.

They coached the kids or the interviews fgs - everything was manipulated and it annoys me that people are taken in by the lies.

I agree completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,322 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I never buy the Sunday Indo, on principle. Very low standards with over 20 years. Would leave tabloids blushing.

I think many of us have worked with, or know socially, some one who is very manipulative and its me, me ,me. Molly fits very well into that. The only daughter of daddy didn't help her.
    She went headlong into relationships, much of it driven by her needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I can't imagine her brothers will want their ex con sister living with them, they will have worked hard to eradicate all traces of her from their all American lives.

The entire family are stir crazy, the pretend raid to Jasons office to get the kids passports and one of the brothers after the conviction saying this is one of the biggest miscarriages of justice ever(or words to that effect)

Absolute scumbags, as if drugging and killing a guy in his sleep isn't bad enough, making the Corbetts pay for the ambulance, trying to adopt the kids 3 days later, trying to slur Jason's good character and then trying to accuse him of murdering his first wife.

May they both get the worst possible time in prison imaginable and get violated every night, good enough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Obviously you are correct as you are a legal professional but how do you stop someone from printing or making serious allegations (either blatantly untrue or unsubstantiated) against someone who is no longer alive to defend their honor or otherwise good name? Its a genuine questions as it doesn't seem fair (to the lay man) or right that they can make these claims and for there to be no fall out from it or any mechanism for Jason's family to challenge the claims....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

"You know" "You know" over and over and over. It was annoying reading that.
    Gave me the impression she was overdoing it and also that she seemed like she was trying to believe her own idiotic story.
    Should have been life for them both considering they made 2 children orphanes and one father underground.
    Amazing that the father said what would any reasonable father do.. the whole time they plotted his murder to have Jason's kids. Sick ****s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭mightyreds

bear1 wrote: »
    "You know" "You know" over and over and over. It was annoying reading that.
    Gave me the impression she was overdoing it and also that she seemed like she was trying to believe her own idiotic story.
    Should have been life for them both considering they made 2 children orphanes and one father underground.
    Amazing that the father said what would any reasonable father do.. the whole time they plotted his murder to have Jason's kids. Sick ****s.

The part about when the dad got in the room and he switches his grip to a rear choke hold then shouts 'I'm going to kill her' like some super villain just sounds like such crap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

@Connor74, Have you any thoughts on what possible grounds these two might lodge an appeal and can you see any scenario whereby thy could be successful?

I'd love to think it's just them going through the motions to exhaust all possible avenues before finally accepting their fate, but the law can work in what seems strange ways to the layperson at times.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

It was probably a way harder to get Joe o Reilly convicted here who blatantly planned it to avoid detection,this case was far more convictable from a police point of view, given the paving stone and injuries evidence,their defence had to put up a self defence case otherwise the verdict would be straight murder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Paving stone part of childrens art project apparently.

2 years to come up with that excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Paving stone part of childrens art project apparently.

2 years to come up with that excuse.

I read somewhere else that Molly heard that there were cases of phones getting hot while charging and causing fires. So she put the paving stone on the nightstand as it was fireproof. I can't remember where I read that but I'm sure it also mentioned that it was during a police interview she said it.
    I thought at the time that that was a reasonable enough excuse so was surprised when it wasn't mentioned in court as part of the defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

fineso.mom wrote: »
    I read somewhere else that Molly heard that there were cases of phones getting hot while charging and causing fires. So she put the paving stone on the nightstand as it was fireproof. I can't remember where I read that but I'm sure it also mentioned that it was during a police interview she said it.
    I thought at the time that that was a reasonable enough excuse so was surprised when it wasn't mentioned in court as part of the defence.

I remember reading that too but I thought it was mentioned by a poster here only as a suggested possible excuse that could be used for having a brick on your nightstand, not an actual excuse made by Molly. May be wrong on that though.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Reading on websleuth that apparently Sharon Martens gave/hid a number for them to call in an emergency so it reads as if she knew Molly could lose her sh1t from time to time

The tension in that house could have been enormous especially with a father in law there as well,the atmosphere you could cut with a knife if both of them didn't get on

She said his daughter came downstairs to their door and molly got out of bed to comfort her and take her back to her own bed,came back to bed,woke Jason,he got mad at her for assisting his daughter and felt at 8years should not be treated like that,if that's true or not,it looks like a parent/nanny situation continued and the parent way is the only way,whatever his reasons for not allowing her joint guardianship and her having equal input in their lives had to have caused resentment towards him as they were adults and married,he shouldn't have married her if he didn't want her fully in her children life or else keep her on as a full time nanny only,you can't have it everyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

fepper wrote:
    She said his daughter came downstairs to their door and molly got out of bed to comfort her and take her back to her own bed,came back to bed,woke Jason,he got mad at her for assisting his daughter and felt at 8years should not be treated like that,if that's true or not,it looks like a parent/nanny situation continued and the parent way is the only way,whatever his reasons for not allowing her joint guardianship and her having equal input in their lives had to have caused resentment towards him as they were adults and married,he shouldn't have married her if he didn't want her fully in her children life or else keep her on as a full time nanny only,you can't have it everyway

Are you trying to make some point?

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Are you trying to make some point?

No I'm posting for the fun of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

fepper wrote: »

it's just that you began your post by accepting the word of a murderer and then created a fantasy, that's all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

fepper wrote:

So you idea of fun is repeating the lies of a convicted murderer. Strange tbh.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    it's just that you began your post by accepting the word of a murderer and then created a fantasy, that's all
    Of course,he was murdered but its no harm to wonder what could cause the circumstances that could trigger that murder,in Joe o Reillys case, he wrote emails to his sister that she was vile ,everything but good but probably still acting the good husband

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Of course,he was murdered but its no harm to wonder what could cause the circumstances that could trigger that murder

Her being a psycho bitch is enough for me tbh

• Site Banned Posts: 1 Goodgollymolly

Of course,he was murdered but its no harm to wonder what could cause the circumstances that could trigger that murder,in Joe o Reillys case, he wrote emails to his sister that she was vile ,everything but good but probably still acting the good husband

He wanted to come back to Ireland without molly, it would tear apart her whole happy family unit.

Money and his children she wanted because she couldn't have her own, over all the meds she has been taking for YEARS.

Always trust your parentally instinct.

50 second phone call from Sharon to say Jason died in an accident, martens law enforcement members raiding his work place, and to use domestic abuse sick twisted.

Before conviction, tom smirking, after conviction tom isn't smirking, he eyes are full of disbelief, he thought like most people he was getting off.

The DPP could learn a thing or two from the DA of north Carolina.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I am appalled that Molly tried to get the kids to testify on her behalf, yet she herself couldnt even be bothered take the stand. It was never about those kids and what's best for them. Just all about her wants and her needs.
    Also thanks to whoever mentioned websleuth earlier. I've been reading it most of the afternoon. Very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Have you a link to the websleuths? All I can see is a few dormant threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

myshirt wrote: »
    Have you a link to the websleuths? All I can see is a few dormant threads.

This is the most recent one

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?345991-Trial-of-Molly-Corbett-33-and-Thomas-Martens-67-in-the-death-of-Jason-Corbett-5/page70

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I would imagine he didn't want her to adopt the kids out of respect for his first wife and her family. That was what I assumed when I heard he 'wouldn't allow' her to adopt them. That's a fair reason tbh...if something happened to my sister and my BIL remarried and allowed his new wife to adopt my nephews I'd be heartbroken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Plenty of people marry partners with kids from previous marriages and don't adopt them. TBH I'd find her insistence on adopting them more curious.

Advertisement