Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I wonder was Tom a licensed firearm holder at the time?

Interesting question all right...in a family full of FBI agents it's hard to think there were no guns around...you could hardly give a 10 year old boy a gun for a present...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

We will never know...the person who gave it is dead...

It does however beg the question...how deep was Mr Martens hatred for his son in law...

maybe the martens loaned him the money to buy that mansion and paying them back in stages

• Registered Users Posts: 19 newgirlpp

fepper wrote: »
    80000 to her parents for what?

My understanding was that approx 45k had been transferred to the parents for the wedding and 80k to Molly after the wedding to furnish the house.

Regardless, I believe the correct decision was made by the jury. I don't know anyone involved but for the last two years, I have felt she and her father were guilty. The ABC 20/20 facebook page has had comments from people who believed both versions of events. One of obvious note to me was a lady who said that she was maid of honour at Molly's wedding and had been lead to believe that Molly was originally a godparent to Jason's children (which may tie into another story that's been told that she also made out she was a friend of Jason's first wife (penpals). This particular lady only discovered at the wedding that this story was not true. She cut ties with Molly after "being duped so many times". I thought maybe it was a fraud but it was on facebook and when I looked at her page, there was a photo of her, Molly and two other girls in early 2011 which I think would have been shortly before the wedding.

maybe the martens loaned him the money to buy that mansion and paying them back in stages

Maybe...
    Maybe they the two of them earned it busking in Knoxville...

Truth is, the Martens have never claimed to have financially supported Jason..and they have been making a lot of claims...

Maybe...

Truth is, the Martens have never claimed to have financially supported Jason..and they have been making a lot of claims...

their house was bought for cash,whatever it cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

newgirlpp wrote: »
    My understanding was that approx 45k had been transferred to the parents for the wedding and 80k to Molly after the wedding to furnish the house.

Regardless, I believe the correct decision was made by the jury. I don't know anyone involved but for the last two years, I have felt she and her father were guilty. The ABC 20/20 facebook page has had comments from people who believed both versions of events. One of obvious note to me was a lady who said that she was maid of honour at Molly's wedding and had been lead to believe that Molly was originally a godparent to Jason's children (which may tie into another story that's been told that she also made out she was a friend of Jason's first wife (penpals). This particular lady only discovered at the wedding that this story was not true. She cut ties with Molly after "being duped so many times". I thought maybe it was a fraud but it was on facebook and when I looked at her page, there was a photo of her, Molly and two other girls in early 2011 which I think would have been shortly before the wedding.

I also read another claim that she (Molly) actually told one of their new neighbours the trouble she had during the labour of one of the kids.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 19 newgirlpp

Maybe...

He seemed to be doing quite well at work so he was probably financially secure. Also, and I don't pretend to be an expert, possibly he was mortgage free on his Irish house following his wife's death so may have been able he to sell it and retain the proceeds in full. Obviously that's huge speculation on my part but I don't believe it's beyond the realms of possibility. So, I think it's unlikely he owed them anything.

I don't see your point.

Are you suggesting they gave Jason and Molly money and Jason was paying it back in chunks of €80k...the first chunk delivered only 2 months before his murder...

I don't want to think what the Martens wanted the €80k for...

I don't see your point.

Are you suggesting they gave Jason and Molly money and Jason was paying it back in chunks of €80k...the first chunk delivered only 2 months before his murder...

I don't want to think what the Martens wanted the €80k for...

you said he gave the martens 80k,

• Advertisement

newgirlpp wrote: »
    He seemed to be doing quite well at work so he was probably financially secure. Also, and I don't pretend to be an expert, possibly he was mortgage free on his Irish house following his wife's death so may have been able he to sell it and retain the proceeds in full. Obviously that's huge speculation on my part but I don't believe it's beyond the realms of possibility. So, I think it's unlikely he owed them anything.

If you take that €80k...and consider all the other elements of this case...

The fact that Mr Martens brother illegal attempt to raid Jasons office looking for the kids passports the day after the murder...it begins to explain why the kids were immediately flown out of the country after the judge awarded custody to Jasons sister...that would have required some kind of government assistance...

In my opinion the authorities in the US were beginning to understand what they were dealing with...

you said he gave the martens 80k,

Ya...he did...at least it was reported so..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

From the many reports I've read over the last week Jason purchased the house for $350k or $390k, depending which article you read. Jason gave Molloy $80k to furnish the house. Also reported that Jason gave Tom Martens either $45k or $49k towards the wedding costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Her family claims the brick was for a children's art project. But it was Summer...

I wonder if either child knows anything about this "Art project".

Her family claims the brick was for a children's art project. But it was Summer...

I wonder if either child knows anything about this "Art project".

She will have plenty of time to decorate that brick now, they should send it into her when they are finished with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

One thing I found odd or not was tom marten carrying or in possession of a firearm that day /night .
    Rather than going to find a Baseball Bat in the garage ,
    He former FBI and I believe still has/had a high security clearance.

I would have thought he would have at least had a 9mm pistol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

The more I read the more I'm convinced this was premeditated to the last. Jason gave Molly the family unit she always craved for and when he wanted to come home to Ireland she made sure that would never happen. She was obsessed with his kids more than Jason. She never loved Jason. He was the means to an end. Unfortunately there wasn't enough evidence to charge the Martens for first degree murder. Seeing people donating thousands of dollars to the go fund me page is disgusting. Saying they're praying for the Martens. For justice to be done. Newsflash eejits it's been done. The supporters of the Martens are as deluded as the Martens. Jason was away from home so was an easy target for the Martens.

Gatling wrote: »
    One thing I found odd or not was tom marten carrying or in possession of a firearm that day /night .
    Rather than going to find a Baseball Bat in the garage ,
    He former FBI and I believe still has/had a high security clearance.

I would have thought he would have at least had a 9mm pistol

He had to make it seem that his visit was harmless...if he was carrying his gun he ran the risk of being tried for 1st degree murder...

He couldn't give his loaded pistol as a gift to his grandson...he could however give a baseball bat.

KKkitty wrote: »
    The more I read the more I'm convinced this was premeditated to the last. Jason gave Molly the family unit she always craved for and when he wanted to come home to Ireland she made sure that would never happen. She was obsessed with his kids more than Jason. She never loved Jason. He was the means to an end. Unfortunately there wasn't enough evidence to charge the Martens for first degree murder. Seeing people donating thousands of dollars to the go fund me page is disgusting. Saying they're praying for the Martens. For justice to be done. Newsflash eejits it's been done. The supporters of the Martens are as deluded as the Martens. Jason was away from home so was an easy target for the Martens.

The kids were interviewed after the murder, they initially indicated that they witnessed their dad abusing their mom....they were never able to repeat these accusations...experts soon realised they had been coached by Molly...it would have taken a number of weeks to achieve that kind of brainwashing...Mr Martens had expertise in crime scenes and murder cases...

They may have got away with it if the beating hadn't have been as grotesquely violent as it was...that needlessly violent beating is eventually what got caught them out....

They were planning this for a least a few months...

How people can defend or donate to this twisted family is beyond me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

There's many people who've had the mental health issues that Molly has and never committed murder. I'm actually sick of mental health issues being brought up as an excuse in cases like this. Molly obviously should have been sectioned in a psychiatric hospital but no her parents couldn't have that. Their pride got in the way of that. Sharon and Thomas Marten let her get to the stage she got to. They made her and broke her beyond repair. The smug look on Thomas Marten's face for his mugshot with his head held high thinking he was going to be a free man compared to his head down as he was being brought to prison. They thought that they were untouchable. They're far from it now. They deserve no luck for what they've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The kids were interviewed after the murder, they initially indicated that they witnessed their dad abusing their mom....they were never able to repeat these accusations...experts soon realised they had been coached by Molly...it would have taken a number of weeks to achieve that kind of brainwashing...Mr Martens had expertise in crime scenes and murder cases...

They may have got away with it if the beating hadn't have been as grotesquely violent as it was...that needlessly violent beating is eventually what got caught them out....

They were planning this for a least a few months...

How people can defend or donate to this twisted family is beyond me...

I don't think anyone here is defending them per se - we are all just looking at the different possible scenarios that could have occurred that night and some of us feel there might well have been a self defence element to it where Daddy Martens is concerned.

That does not mean what he did is right or that he should go unpunished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    You don't need to be, a jury was already convinced of his culpability.

As is so often the case on Boards, people don't read your post before posting a response.

I'm simply querying their motive NOT their guilt.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Wasn't she known to publicly humiliate him about his weight? Didn't she insult him in front of friends shortly before the murder which caused him to leave a party early?

Personally, I believe that there was one abusive party in that marriage. Her name was Molly Martens. She obviously cut him down constantly and when she realized that she was losing her control of him and (more importantly to her) his children she took steps to wrestle back control by brutally planning and executing his murder. Both she and her father really should be guaranteed to die in prison.

Your summation of her made my blood simmer. what a horrific person she is. I hope to god she's bouncing off the walls of that prison for the next 25 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Regarding her parents 'ignoring' her mental health needs. Probably a bit unfair, think it's probably text book parent behavior when a child has mental health issues. Saying this from seeing a cousin and a sibling suffer with severe mental health issues. Mothers, in particular seem to be totally in denial and think they can 'fix' it with love, support and prayers.
    Easy for siblings etc and people from younger generations who are more in tune with mental health and what is needed to treat it and to not treat it as a taboo subject, for people in their 60's / 70's it's still something that sure the sufferer can just fix by pulling themselves together and stop being so dramatic. Certainly the way with Irish people of that generation, would imagine it is much the same in the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I don't think anyone here is defending them per se - we are all just looking at the different possible scenarios that could have occurred that night and some of us feel there might well have been a self defence element to it where Daddy Martens is concerned.

So you believe Daddy Martens may have been a self defence element? Really? The blood spatter expert confirmed there was blood drops on the inside of Daddy Martens undershorts. His conclusion Daddy was standing over Jason as the victim was being struck. That's not self defence, the jury thankfully didn't buy the self defence B.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,322 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Wonder did the Martens lend Molly and Jason the 85K at the time of the house purchase? Jason was then, clearing the books, by returning it, before he left for Ireland, permanently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

It's a bit hypocritical the giving out about the press coverage whilst posting in a 90 page thread?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

KKkitty wrote: »
    There's many people who've had the mental health issues that Molly has and never committed murder. I'm actually sick of mental health issues being brought up as an excuse in cases like this. Molly obviously should have been sectioned in a psychiatric hospital but no her parents couldn't have that. Their pride got in the way of that. Sharon and Thomas Marten let her get to the stage she got to. They made her and broke her beyond repair. The smug look on Thomas Marten's face for his mugshot with his head held high thinking he was going to be a free man compared to his head down as he was being brought to prison. They thought that they were untouchable. They're far from it now. They deserve no luck for what they've done.

Totally agree, and actually in this case I don't think it's anything to do with her mental health issues.

People can have genuine mental health issues and maybe she had but she was also, it seems, a sociopath. The two issues are completely separate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,322 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Quite ridicolous to say one mental condition has no bearing on another. Yes she is a a sociopath but also probably has BPD. It must have been a very difficult house to try and keep norms in.
    Odds are, she flipped on realising, Jason was going to take the kids to Ireland. The defence though, never went for diminished reponsibility.
    Unless we are phycothic, we are still reponsible for our actions. We, despite mental difficulties, know right from wrong and have the ability to stop our actions.

Advertisement