Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Reading up on all aspects of this case last ,so much info,at a pre wedding reception at toms house for the guests incl the Irish invited to wedding,he couldn't stand their drinking,smoking,probably falling all over the place attitude,his garden littered with cigarette butts,he wouldn't be impressed with Jason's family and friends on first impressions then and forever had that view I'd say,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

fepper wrote:
    Reading up on all aspects of this case last ,so much info,at a pre wedding reception at toms house for the guests incl the Irish invited to wedding,he couldn't stand their drinking,smoking,probably falling all over the place attitude,his garden littered with cigarette butts,he wouldn't be impressed with Jason's family and friends on first impressions then and forever had that view I'd say,

What has any of this got to do with with Tom and Molly murdering Jason?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Well, he has been quoted many times as referring to any of the Irish he met as being "Difficult to understand" and "Uneducated".

He is one self righteous arrogant individual.

For anyone who watched the full 2020 interview, did you notice the excitement in his voice when he said something to the effect, "we were in the bathroom now, I had room to swing, so I hit him hard again" He almost got off on it.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭dbas

pilly wrote: »
    Totally agree, and actually in this case I don't think it's anything to do with her mental health issues.

People can have genuine mental health issues and maybe she had but she was also, it seems, a sociopath. The two issues are completely separate.

She most likely has Borderline Personality disorder from everything I've read about her. She is 100% responsible for her actions and if she the correct diagnosis she's be doing life for murder 1 which is what they both deserve. Filthy vermin.
    So glad those kids are safe. If any martens show up in Limerick they'll be ran out of the place

What are we now? day five or six since the sentencing?

I wonder if Molly would like her SUV, her big house, Jason's kids and her husband back now?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Water John wrote: »
    The defence though, never went for diminished reponsibility.

She couldn't do that one though. It would have impacted on the child custody court proceedings that were going on after the murder. You can't say that you are too insane to be held responsible for battering your husband to death but perfectly fine and safe to have sole custody of some children that are neither legally nor biologically yours.

Plus, if she went with the insanity defence, what one would her father have? He would have been implicated in the crime through the forensics so for the two of them, the most logical and plausible defence for them was the one they went with.

I read somewhere last night (prob on the other forum) that Tommy boy tried to take control of the police interview believing he could out smart them. Apparently the interviewing detective was young and Tommy boy said that he was only a rookie and that he himself (Tom) was a seasoned professional investigator. The rookie seemingly chewed him up and spat him out by the time they were finished.

Tommy Boy's arrogance seems to have no bounds.

I read somewhere last night (prob on the other forum) that Tommy boy tried to take control of the police interview believing he could out smart them. Apparently the interviewing detective was young and Tommy boy said that he was only a rookie and that he himself (Tom) was a seasoned professional investigator. The rookie seemingly chewed him up and spat him out by the time they were finished.

One of the jurors said that Tom thought he was cleverer than county law enforcement agencies, she then said Tom was wrong.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    One of the jurors said that Tom thought he was cleverer than county law enforcement agencies, she then said Tom was wrong.

Yeah, that was the same lady that physically threw up when she saw the pictures of Jason's head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

So the link with custody of his children would be irrelevant even if the jury found them not guilty and set them free as they were always going to go back to his sister if he died no matter what the circumstances of his death were,so her attitude could be if I cant have them,you wont either,that would be quiet vindictive but doable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

fepper wrote: »
    So the link with custody of his children would be irrelevant even if the jury found them not guilty and set them free as they were always going to go back to his sister if he died no matter what the circumstances of his death were
    No, not necessarily. Wills are not absolute. Not in the US or Ireland.

Molly could go to court to challenge the will on the basis of what's best for the child. The argument would be made that Jason's will did not adequately put the interests of the child first. Certainly she would claim that he did it to spite her or hurt her.

The argument then would be that as she had been mother/carer to the children for most of their lives, then it was in their best interests to stay with her rather than go to family whom the children were relatively unfamiliar with.

It's a sound argument that holds up when you haven't just been involved in killing the childrens' father.

Doubly thankful that she has been found guilty, as a very complicated and gut-wrenching legal process would have ensued, complicated by the cross-jurisidictional issues.

I see auntie Mona is reaching out to the people of Ireland who believe Molly and Tom are innocent to help with the appeal fund. Seems the fund is losing steam, stalling if you will. I'm sure a lot of supportive comments from 'Ireland' will suddenly start to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I see auntie Mona is reaching out to the people of Ireland who believe Molly and Tom are innocent to help with the appeal fund. Seems the fund is losing steam, stalling if you will. I'm sure a lot of supportive comments from 'Ireland' will suddenly start to appear.

Where is she doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

As we continue our funding campaign I wanted to take a moment to reach out across the miles to all of the kind and loving people of Ireland who believe that all is not as it appears. Some of you are courageously standing up with us already and for that we are grateful beyond words. We also know that a large number of you may want to help but may be fearful. Please know that we understand that fear completely. If we can be terrorized from across the ocean the threat is only that much closer where you live. To those of you in fear please know that you can donate anonymously and you can also send me a private message through the fundraising site. Thank you all for your loving thoughts, kind words and generous donations but most of all for your courage and bravery.

Warmest regards,

Mona Earnest

Edit: it's under "Updates"

https://gogetfunding.com/right-the-wrong-help-molly-tom/

words fail me :mad:

Auldloon wrote:
    Where is she doing that?

On the funding page as an update. You're allowed offer a comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Only one new donor since last night.

sligojoek wrote:
    Only one new donor since last night.

Ah sure the donors from the emerald isle are lining up, they just need to overcome the terror and find courage. That 300k will be reached in no time. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

On the funding page as an update. You're allowed offer a comment.

Ah she's just trolling. I noticed they removed a lot of the followers last night (which are now mostly back) the inventive usernames must be hurting.

Auldloon wrote:
    Ah she's just trolling. I noticed they removed a lot of the followers last night (which are now mostly back) the inventive usernames must be hurting.

Tend to agree with you about the follower names, as for the update I think it is disgraceful and designed to hurt the Corbett family even further.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

re: her aunt, friends, family etc...suppose it's mostly only natural they would believe her and her dad are innocent. If it was your niece, cousin, friend and they had spun you the same lies - you'd of course take their side I guess...you'd overlook the evidence. Kinda when you're dating an asshole and you totally overlook all his/her dickish ways then you break up and you're like ''holy christ - how could I not see it" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Missix

The comment that stood out to me in that Dateline video was what Tom Martens said when the interview asked how he felt about what he had done .His reply?

'I feel righteous'.

And that one word describes how that entire family operate.They feel they are Right,and everyone else is Wrong.And you'll never get through to their better side with reasoning,hard proof or even a full confession.

We've all met a jumped up,uppity control freak at least once in our lives.The only difference with the Martens is,that their gene pool is full of them.

They're running out of actual backers now anyway (that fund stalled bloody quick),they have lost every legal battle so far (the murder charges,the custody battle etc)...they will run out of avenues soon enough.

Meanwhile,the 2 murderers in their gene pool have been removed from society.The rest of the family will suffer that 'fall from grace' on a daily basis too,for the rest of their days.

Good enough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I would suspect anyone around her, would, if using their normal faculties, be well able to spot the porkies, she regularly spouted.

We don't give family or relatives, carte blanche, or a free pass on being a responsible, trustworthy adult.

As we continue our funding campaign I wanted to take a moment to reach out across the miles to all of the kind and loving people of Ireland

Funny that, Tommy boy seems to think all the Irish are hard to understand and uneducated!

Funny that, Tommy boy seems to think all the Irish are hard to understand and uneducated!

Some of us have money though, that's all they want .

Well, in fairness, he's likely only met people from Limerick, so probably fairly accurate :pac:

Water John wrote: »

We don't give family or relatives, carte blanche, or a free pass on being a responsible, trustworthy adult.

Ah but we do. We all put up with a lot of crap from people we love.
    There is of course also the upstanding, church going(?) family whose reputation would be destroyed because of Molly and Tom committing a murder. So. the rest if the family have to speak out and try and convince everyone this was a miscarriage of justice and Molly and Tom have dome nothing wrong so they can protect their family's 'good' name.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Don't accept. Looking at another case, the wife of the well known IT journalist with compromising underage photos on his phone, went straight to the police. Brave and correct.

I see the one comment on the update page has been removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I see the one comment on the update page has been removed.

Only favourable comments are allowed. They still can't do anything about the followers names.

Advertisement