Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It's all just them trying to keep up appearances that they are innocent. They know they are guilty but they can't just lie down and accept that as their friends and family who supported them throughout would smell a rat if they didn't appeal.

Molly's brother's inheritance is being wasted on this tripe :pac:

After the court case was over, I noted that there wasn't a whole lot of grounds for appeal.
    I couldn't see this nonsense being taken too seriously - but if there's a chance in 1000 of getting a retrial or reduced sentence it looks like they'll take it.

I wonder could they get a reduced sentence on appeal or is 20 years minimum a reduced sentence in itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,325 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Its either a retrial or the appeal is thrown out. With a retrial, and it's for murder 2 again, I think that is 20-25 years.
    Just lets hope the appeal is thrown out. A tainted jury, is basically what they're chasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Shergar6

Horrible case. They are both so cold did she convince the parents that he was abusing her... with the 6 phone calls to them as they travelled to them that night?

Surely if the father thought his daughter was being beaten and in danger he would have taken action. He had the resources. Then to say he was told jason might have killed his first wife ðŸ˜

And you just let your daughter go ahead and marry him and stay silent ...jason was so horrible yet the last sighting of him by a neighbour was carrying in the parent's bags. Buying her a BMW and letting her stay at home on her arse while he worked.

Unreal. How did she even get the job when she had had mental health issues shortly before. What ever agency he hired her from is clearly not checking out backgrounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I seen on Facebook about another GF page set up for the Corbett children that raised a significant amount of money that was supposed to be given to the kids to remain in a bank account till they turned 18 but the person running it has refused to give any money to the Corbett's ,
    Even after the kids specifically asked for the money to be donated to a charity as per their wishes ,
    Nobody has seen a penny

Gatling wrote: »
    I seen on Facebook about another GF page set up for the Corbett children that raised a significant amount of money that was supposed to be given to the kids to remain in a bank account till they turned 18 but the person running it has refused to give any money to the Corbett's ,
    Even after the kids specifically asked for the money to be donated to a charity as per their wishes ,
    Nobody has seen a penny

Correct. The fund page was even titled in their names.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

That stuff would really boil your blood. There was a recent case of a lady who raised money on the back of a few photos of a kid with cancer that she was able to find on Facebook.

Pocketed the money and off she went.

I don't claim to be Jesus Christ levitating above everyone else living a life of perfecto, but come on, why oh why would you do that.

Gatling wrote: »
    Nobody has seen a penny
    myshirt wrote: »
    That stuff would really boil your blood. There was a recent case of a lady who raised money on the back of a few photos of a kid with cancer that she was able to find on Facebook.

Pocketed the money and off she went.

I don't claim to be Jesus Christ levitating above everyone else living a life of perfecto, but come on, why oh why would you do that.

Guys, please don't start off discussion on funding pages- it will only be a matter of time before some idiots appear on this thread and get it closed down by linking and talking about funding pages. I'm not back-seat modding, just a friendly reminder, that's all. I'd like this thread to keep going :)

Maybe a mod warning in the thread title would help?

Guys, please don't start off discussion on funding pages- it will only be a matter of time before some idiots appear on this thread and get it closed down by linking and talking about funding pages. I'm not back-seat modding, just a friendly reminder, that's all. I'd like this thread to keep going :)

Maybe a mod warning in the thread title would help?

Back seat modding is exactly what it is ,

I was mentioned in a discussion how money was raised under a charitable cause for the Corbett children and nothing has been given to the Corbetts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-I think were about done with this until there is an appeal by the Martens's. Someone pm me or one of the others when or if that happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Breaking news. Molly's sentence increased by 4 years for breaches of prison rules.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/murderer-molly-martens-has-four-years-added-to-her-jail-sentence-37241165.html

KILLER Molly Martens has had her sentence for the murder of her Irish husband extended by four years because of repeated breaches of US prison rules.

Thanks to the person that pm'd me to let us know of the update. THE SYSTEM WORKS:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

She should have killed him here. Wouldn't even lose her automatic remission time, never mind getting an increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,532 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Molly Martens and father to have appeal against murder conviction heard next month

http://www.thejournal.ie/molly-martens-murder-appeal-4175493-Aug2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Should be 24 years and then the lethal injection for her.

The Cush wrote: »
    Molly Martens and father to have appeal against murder conviction heard next month

http://www.thejournal.ie/molly-martens-murder-appeal-4175493-Aug2018/

It would be interesting to see if anything further is entertained appeal wise ,the corbets are still holding on to her claim that Jason murdered his first wife ,

I'm hoping she actually racks up more rule breaches in prison and get further extensions based the sheer nastiness she inflicted on Jason and the children after she destroyed their father .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

She has only been in a year. If she keeps breaking the rules, she's never getting out. I guess she's finally going to have to learn that she can't do what she wants and Daddy can't fix everything. Pity about her.

Killers Molly Martens and her father will be allowed to make oral submissions in their appeal against their conviction for murder.

Both are serving time for killing Ms Marten's husband, Irish businessman Jason Corbett (39), in August 2015.

The Court of Appeals in North Carolina has taken the unusual step of ruling that oral arguments be allowed in the new year as part of their appeal.

https://www.herald.ie/news/courts/murderer-mollys-lawyers-allowed-to-address-appeal-judges-in-unusual-ruling-37646606.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Hard to see an appeal getting them anywhere, the evidence was pretty damning

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Hard to see an appeal getting them anywhere, the evidence was pretty damning
    He was hit with the first blow while asleep. There's no getting out of that. The Americans don't mess about with their sentences. I suppose they're so bored in jail that even a hopeless appeal is something to focus on.

• Advertisement

I wonder how they're getting on in jail? I can't imagine a former FBI agent is going to be making many friends. And super spoilt always gets her own way Molly now has to ask permission to use the toilet. Ha ha serves them right.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,325 ✭✭✭✭Water John

She seems to have been, mad and bad and the parents fell for it every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Water John wrote: »
    She seems to have been, mad and bad and the parents fell for it every time.
    This. Dad constantly pulled strings to get her out of trouble since she was a teenager. She escalated the crazy and he kept covering up for her.

If he'd let her take a couple of falls, a few nights in county jail when she was 16, it could have been all so different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I can’t imagine them winning any appeal - the evidence was overwhelming and fairly concrete.

Though I’m still not convinced that Tom was involved in the murder itself. Rather I think he came on the scene after the fact and tried to cover for Molly by taking the fall himself.

seamus wrote: »
    This. Dad constantly pulled strings to get her out of trouble since she was a teenager. She escalated the crazy and he kept covering up for her.

If he'd let her take a couple of falls, a few nights in county jail when she was 16, it could have been all so different.
    There was probably an element of keeping up appearances as well. He was the respected FBI man and wanted the perfect daughter but ended up creating a monster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I wonder how they're getting on in jail? I can't imagine a former FBI agent is going to be making many friends. And super spoilt always gets her own way Molly now has to ask permission to use the toilet. Ha ha serves them right.

Pat Kenny had somebody on talking about it a few weeks ago. She has taken up part time work while in prison working for a call centre for doing a tourism helpline kind of thing. This means that if she keeps her nose clean, she will be out in 2037 instead of 2041.

I have no idea what prison is like for your man. Most likely he would be in some way segregated for his own protection.

seamus wrote: »

Don't think she could have done what she did on her own though. While she might have been mad, not bad, from an early age, (and no, that doesn't excuse totally what she did), what he did was twisted.

Whatever excuses Molly might have had in mitigation, he had none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Johnny Red Cab

They haven't a hope of getting those convictions overturned but I guess it gets them out of their cells so that's why they do it. What "critical evidence" was over looked? Evidence shows that Jason was first hit while lying down. I believe that Molly pre-meditated it and started it and dragged her Dad into it, thinking that because he was FBI, he would get her out of it.

She is absolutely deranged and is where she needs to be to keep the rest of society safe.

It was such a tragic case and I feel sorry for the children who lost both parents at such a young age. It was disgusting that the Martens tried to imply there was something sinister in Jason losing his first wife, when it was simply her losing her life to an asthma attack.

When it comes to domestic violence, we usually hear about women but one thing everyone can agree on, is that the most dangerous time for someone is when they are going to leave their partner. Jason was making plans to move back to Ireland and was taking the children with him and Molly couldn't handle that. What she did was evil. Thankfully Jason never let her adopt those kids and his sister seems like a good person who will give them a good life.

Rot in Jail Molly. It's more than you deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭nicnac

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    They haven't a hope of getting those convictions overturned but I guess it gets them out of their cells so that's why they do it. What "critical evidence" was over looked? Evidence shows that Jason was first hit while lying down. I believe that Molly pre-meditated it and started it and dragged her Dad into it, thinking that because he was FBI, he would get her out of it.

She is absolutely deranged and is where she needs to be to keep the rest of society safe.

It was such a tragic case and I feel sorry for the children who lost both parents at such a young age. It was disgusting that the Martens tried to imply there was something sinister in Jason losing his first wife, when it was simply her losing her life to an asthma attack.

When it comes to domestic violence, we usually hear about women but one thing everyone can agree on, is that the most dangerous time for someone is when they are going to leave their partner. Jason was making plans to move back to Ireland and was taking the children with him and Molly couldn't handle that. What she did was evil. Thankfully Jason never let her adopt those kids and his sister seems like a good person who will give them a good life.

Rot in Jail Molly. It's more than you deserve.

A perfect synopsis.

The children were extremely lucky to have such a well grounded family in Ireland. It was very sad for them to loose both parents like that.

Advertisement