Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Jason Corbett's murder the focus of new CBS special 'In Jason's Name'

The murder of Irish man Jason Corbett is set to be explored during an hour-long episode of CBS News’ ‘48 Hours' this weekend.

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/jason-corbett-murder-cbs-in-jasons-name?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IrishCentral%2Fnews+%28IrishCentral+News%29

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Triboro

Jason Corbett's murder the focus of new CBS special 'In Jason's Name'

The murder of Irish man Jason Corbett is set to be explored during an hour-long episode of CBS News’ ‘48 Hours' this weekend.

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/jason-corbett-murder-cbs-in-jasons-name?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IrishCentral%2Fnews+%28IrishCentral+News%29
    Any way to access it here I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Triboro wrote: »

Would depend on how you want to view it.
    Most Kodi add ons will have it available by Sunday morning.
    You could use a VPN or Smart DNS to use the CBS iPlayer or you could just dl via a torrent.
    I think 60 minutes is usually shared on YouTube too so that could be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Triboro

banie01 wrote: »
    Would depend on how you want to view it.
    Most Kodi add ons will have it available by Sunday morning.
    You could use a VPN or Smart DNS to use the CBS iPlayer or you could just dl via a torrent.
    I think 60 minutes is usually shared on YouTube too so that could be an option.
    Great thanks,will probably be shown here at a later date too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 keltbrat

You'll find it at CBS 48 hours website after broadcast (so, Sunday morning)

All the 48 hours shows are free to watch

• Advertisement

There is a preview here:
    https://www.cbsnews.com/video/victims-sister-fights-to-clear-her-brothers-name-in-new-48-hours/

When the full one is available you'll get it here:

https://www.cbsnews.com/48-hours/full-episodes/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Can someone please explain to me how this psycho b1tch was entertained on US television prior to her trial with a soft focus empathetic interview where she pretty much tried to destroy the memory reputation and legacy of her deceased husband?
    I’m still totally confused how this interview was termed “journalism”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Can someone please explain to me how this psycho b1tch was entertained on US television prior to her trial with a soft focus empathetic interview where she pretty much tried to destroy the memory reputation and legacy of her deceased husband?
    It's the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'm not liking the trailer for this at all - I hope the end product is a more balanced piece of journalism than I fear it's going to be. Poor kind-hearted All-American gal Molly murdered by her giant, foreign husband :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

It was sensational journalism, much like you'll find in the Sun or Daily Mail. The story had everything needed to hook the audience. The way they spun it was Jason was an abusive, alcoholic Irishman and the Martens were upstanding US citizens. Molly was the naive and innocent 24 year old nanny who got taken in by Jason's charms and Thomas was the heroic FBI agent who was defending his daughter.

Molly was also actively courting media attention. She was even on the Niall Boylan show when trying to get custody of the children. Niall really let himself down and the interview was so sycophantic I had to stop listening after a few minutes. As soon as she was convicted, they deleted the interview from their podcast. I texted the show asking why Niall didn't address his interview after her conviction and I got blocked :rolleyes:

Molly was also pulling a lot of cheap stunts after she lost custody of the children. She was constantly posting on facebook for them to contact her, with her details and I think at one stage she wanted to pay for a plane to fly over with a message. The Martens status and wealth, coupled with their attention seeking made them prime media fodder.

Thankfully none of that worked and it backfired spectacularly because now they're known nation wide as murders. I can't imagine Thomas is having a great time in prison being an ex FBI agent and thankfully by the time that basket case gets out of prison, she'll be too old to have children. Even her ex said she was nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    It was sensational journalism, much like you'll find in the Sun or Daily Mail. The story had everything needed to hook the audience. The way they spun it was Jason was an abusive, alcoholic Irishman and the Martens were upstanding US citizens. Molly was the naive and innocent 24 year old nanny who got taken in by Jason's charms and Thomas was the heroic FBI agent who was defending his daughter.

Molly was also actively courting media attention. She was even on the Niall Boylan show when trying to get custody of the children. Niall really let himself down and the interview was so sycophantic I had to stop listening after a few minutes. As soon as she was convicted, they deleted the interview from their podcast. I texted the show asking why Niall didn't address his interview after her conviction and I got blocked :rolleyes:

Molly was also pulling a lot of cheap stunts after she lost custody of the children. She was constantly posting on facebook for them to contact her, with her details and I think at one stage she wanted to pay for a plane to fly over with a message. The Martens status and wealth, coupled with their attention seeking made them prime media fodder.

Thankfully none of that worked and it backfired spectacularly because now they're known nation wide as murders. I can't imagine Thomas is having a great time in prison being an ex FBI agent and thankfully by the time that basket case gets out of prison, she'll be too old to have children. Even her ex said she was nuts.

Niall Boylan is a bellend who will do anything for ratings.

Niall Boylan is a bellend who will do anything for ratings.
    Yup. He's basically the Irish Piers Morgan. He claims that he's being honest etc but he's just another professional gobsh!te.

I'm not liking the trailer for this at all - I hope the end product is a more balanced piece of journalism than I fear it's going to be. Poor kind-hearted All-American gal Molly murdered by her giant, foreign husband :mad:

Was that what they said in the trailer?

Anyone see it yet?

Deadly Women did an episode about her and painted her and her father as murders.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Achtung! Bono

• Registered Users Posts: 39,819 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

There’s also a podcast of this episode. Just search for 48 hours and it’s the first result.

That was actually very balanced. Gotta laugh at Molly's friend though. Molly only started to talk about abuse after Jason was killed.

Those kids are lucky to have Tracy as their aunt. She really is a strong woman and the kids look genuinely happy. I hope they don't suffer emotionally as they get older.

Molly and Tom Martens win challenge against convictions for murder of Irishman Jason Corbett.

Read more...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Molly and Tom Martens win challenge against convictions for murder of Irishman Jason Corbett.

Read more...

I had a feeling that might happen - didn’t the jury foreman say something about the jury having private conversations which they shouldn’t have done?

Hopefully the new jury will have more sense than to let Molly and Daddy off.

This is more stress and anguish Jason’s family, and his children especially, do not deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Read more...

That their appeal is partly based on their not being charged with 1st degree murder is astounding!

Their defence claiming all 7 grounds for such a charge were met and should have been charged as such is incredible!
    The prosecution chose murder 2 as they were unsure if a jury would convict a pretty blonde, the charge and conviction were based on copious evidence and their was nothing exculpatory presented in the Maartens defence.

I hope that if this goes to retrial, the prosecution takes them to hell and back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭Be right back

That their appeal is partly based on their not being charged with 1st degree murder is astounding!

Their defence claiming all 7 grounds for such a charge were met and should have been charged as such is incredible!
    The prosecution chose murder 2 as they were unsure if a jury would convict a pretty blonde, the charge and conviction were based on copious evidence and their was nothing exculpatory presented in the Maartens defence.

I hope that if this goes to retrial, the prosecution takes them to hell and back

If they lose their appeal, could their sentences be increased?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Their appeal was based on evidence which the trial judge didn’t allow, and which they claim supported the self-defence argument.

The argument about 1st degree murder was submitted by the State when opposing the appeal - you might have gotten a bit confused there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Very upsetting for the Corbett family, though I bet they're glad to have the kids back home away from it all. No matter what the outcome on this, Martens will never be able to make any claim to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The article says that Molly Martens visited a divorce lawyer just months after she married Jason ask them if she had any rights to Jasons two children. I dont remember that coming up in the original trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

One of the Corbett children was on the Late Late recently, very strange interview by Tubridy.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    One of the Corbett children was on the Late Late recently, very strange interview by Tubridy.

Really? That sounds way off...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

They have won their appeal and will get a new trial

I’m disgusted to hear this

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/jason-corbett-s-killers-entitled-to-new-trial-says-us-appeals-court-1.4161484%3fmode=amp
    A three-judge US appeals court has ordered the retrial of father and daughter Thomas and Molly Martens for the murder of Limerick father of two Jason Corbett in August 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The article says that Molly Martens visited a divorce lawyer just months after she married Jason ask them if she had any rights to Jasons two children. I dont remember that coming up in the original trial.

I saw that too, it said she sought legal advice on the matter just a few months after they got married.
    That alone is mind boggling, and it shows a really posessive and controlling streak in her. That she would even assume she would have any claim over his children is bizarre.

It seems from day one she was obsessed with his children and the fact that they didn't go on to have any of their own together makes it all the more sinister.
    Its like she was using him for his kids and then attempted to discard him to have full control and access to them (among other reasons).
    Sure his family had to jump through massive hoops to get the kids back into their custody, and that was before she was ever charged.
    Her and her family shut down all communiation between Jason's family in Limerick & his children after his death, and that was absolutely dispicable.
    It was beyond cruel.

Pure speculation on my part but it would really make you wonder what the true motives were on her part from the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Strange in what way? I watched Sarah being interviewed & am just curious as to what you mean by strange? Slightly awkward maybe, which is understandable given the tragic death of her mother & the bludgeoning of her father by the deranged Marten killers whilst he slept etc. But strange isn't the word I'd use to describe the interview, unless I missed something. Very few, if anyone, would be properly equipped to conduct an interview with a teenager who has experienced such losses.

Advertisement