Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

faceman wrote: »
    You should familiarise yourself with the trial and the evidence.

Seriously like. How fuçking ignorant a comment was that. Clearly doesnt have a bloody clue about the case but for some reason thinks 'ah, may as well contribute to this - heat of the moment'. Give me a fuçking break.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

chicorytip wrote: »
    Maybe Corbett was physically abusive toward Molly. Perhaps there had been an earlier incident which provoked the father(Martens) to perpetrate what was an attack of extreme violence. It seems very like heat of the moment, crime of passion stuff rather than a coldly cynical long planned incident the motive for which has never been clearly established.

Are you aware of the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Fresh appeal in Jason Corbett murder case:

https://www.rte.ie/news/us/2020/0309/1121259-jason-corbett-case/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The prosecuters appeal against the new trial is probably just a formality that will fail. I think the Supreme Court judges will still call a new trial when the claim is that evidence was left out of the first one. Time will tell but the principle of a fair trail has to be upheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Lawyers for Thomas Martens file for early release due to Covid-19 concerns.

https://www.rte.ie/news/us/2020/0416/1131991-thomas-martens/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

Lawyers for Thomas Martens file for early release due to Covid-19 concerns.

https://www.rte.ie/news/us/2020/0416/1131991-thomas-martens/

I do hope this particular current appeal will exhaust the American legal system to the nth degree before the final decision is made- many court appearances, Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter- lots of people to witness the appearances so that justice can be seen to be done- lots of guards surrounding him to keep him safe- he must be kept safe so lots and lots of guards - all around him- just lost of people everywhere in general- just so we can show justice is done and that there's no funny business :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Some prisons have already released people due to covid 19 risks some went on to commit serious Crimes including murder within 24 hours ,
    Hopefully governors step in and say no more releases

Gatling wrote: »
    Some prisons have already released people due to covid 19 risks some went on to commit serious Crimes including murder within 24 hours ,
    Hopefully governors step in and say no more releases

Or place him in an Irish Nursing home :pac:

Now there's an idea ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭Be right back

A nursing home in Limerick might be suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

*Taking HIS children with him

*THEIR

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

TheW1zard wrote: »
    *THEIR

No HIS was right

TheW1zard wrote: »
    *THEIR

He had his two children with his first wife, who died when they were very young.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

He had his two children with his first wife, who died when they were very young.

Keep up wizzard !!! - its the fundamentals of the whole basis for the premeditated murder - he would not allow Molly to adopt His children this enabling her to access them for life and the slush fund of easy money and big house given to her - he already knew she was a mentally deranged abusive nutjob and was planning on taking his children home to Ireland and divorcing her. He had set up guardianship with his sister in Ireland should anything happen to him in the interim - he did not want her near his children or to have access to
    them - in fact his parents had to chase Molly through the courts in the US to have his children returned.

Personally i hope they both rot in jail.

As for the prison releases - this had been for minor demeanours and minor charges awIting bail hearings - there have been some high profile releases which have ended in further murders and gangland violence so I expect (hope) they will be much more circumspect with any further planned releases and the backlash. In the US public representatives who make these decisions often have to go to the county to be reelected in their jobs - nobody wants a baseball bat convicted murderer and their violent cunning murderer father released into their community.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,408 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Keep up wizzard !!! - its the fundamentals of the whole basis for the premeditated murder - he would not allow Molly to adopt His children this enabling her to access them for life and the slush fund of easy money and big house given to her - he already knew she was a mentally deranged abusive nutjob and was planning on taking his children home to Ireland and divorcing her. He had set up guardianship with his sister in Ireland should anything happen to him in the interim - he did not want her near his children or to have access to
    them - in fact his parents had to chase Molly through the courts in the US to have his children returned.

Personally i hope they both rot in jail.

As for the prison releases - this had been for minor demeanours and minor charges awIting bail hearings - there have been some high profile releases which have ended in further murders and gangland violence so I expect (hope) they will be much more circumspect with any further planned releases and the backlash. In the US public representatives who make these decisions often have to go to the county to be reelected in their jobs - nobody wants a baseball bat convicted murderer and their violent cunning murderer father released into their community.

so not THEIR children then. glad we could get that established.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

so not THEIR children then. glad we could get that established.

easy peasy - crux of the murder

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Does anyone here have an idea what the evidence not produced at the original trial could possibly be? If the Martens legal teams think that they could be released pending retrial then it must be some serious stuff. I know it’s connected with chats the children had with the police after but it must be very specific to bring the case back to life like this.

Yeah iirc from previous articles social workers interviewed the children after the event but whatever was said was not allowed to be introduced as evidence in the trial. Would presume the social workers asked the children about all previous arguments and what they saw/heard. The Martens defence team are obviously going to try to paint Jason as the aggressor on previous occasions so they can tie it in to their narrative that it was a murder commtted in self defence.

The new trial (provided the Supreme Court allows it which seems very likely) will allow this evidence. It could even go as far as the children having to go testify in the States which you would hope they wouldnt have to be put through but it is a possibility. That could be awful for them facing questions from a lawyer who is trying to paint their father as the aggressor. The dead cant defend themselves so that allows the defence team to twist and spin everything about Jason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

It’s hard to see how these children will emerge from all this unscathed.
    Talk about a nightmare childhood.
    I know children are more resilient then we give them credit for but the combination of the sudden death of their mother, the violent death of their father and the realisation that their seemingly devoted stepmother, who I have no doubt they adored, was in fact a monster is not something you can shrug off.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah iirc from previous articles social workers interviewed the children after the event but whatever was said was not allowed to be introduced as evidence in the trial. Would presume the social workers asked the children about all previous arguments and what they saw/heard. The Martens defence team are obviously going to try to paint Jason as the aggressor on previous occasions so they can tie it in to their narrative that it was a murder commtted in self defence.

The new trial (provided the Supreme Court allows it which seems very likely) will allow this evidence. It could even go as far as the children having to go testify in the States which you would hope they wouldnt have to be put through but it is a possibility. That could be awful for them facing questions from a lawyer who is trying to paint their father as the aggressor. The dead cant defend themselves so that allows the defence team to twist and spin everything about Jason.

Could the children be required to testify in another country? I’d have thought that very unlikely maybe by camera.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Surely the children's memories of arguments between JC & MM would be unreliable given their age then and with the passage of time?

Surely the children's memories of arguments between JC & MM would be unreliable given their age then and with the passage of time?

I would imagine it’s more the transcripts would be used

salmocab wrote: »
    Could the children be required to testify in another country? I’d have thought that very unlikely maybe by camera.

I dont know but would also think it unlikely. I mean the Carolina court could issue a subpoena for their testimony but I dont think they can compel someone internationally.

The other side of it is that it might be actually beneficial for the prosecution for the children to testify, if it is only to set the record straight on any doubt in their interviews with the social workers after the murder. If there is something in those transcripts that can be twisted and spun to make Jason look bad it would be better for the prosecution that the children did testify and provide more information on how things were in the house before she murdered their father.

Finally I would hope that those social care worker interviews are not just a written report but an actual video and audio recording. It would be very easy for social workers to ask young children leading questions and engineering their answers. Whenever a woman kills man there is a certain inherent bias that she could only have done it in self defence. If the social workers went into the interview with that kind of bias in their head they could have went in there thinking 'we need to find out what Jason did to Molly to make her kill him'. Not saying it did happen but would just hope there is video and audio so there is no doubt about it at all. The questions that they asked the children are equally as important as the answers that were given.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,088 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Breaking news are reporting that the dad is looking for release citing Corona virus fears.

beertons wrote: »
    Breaking news are reporting that the dad is looking for release citing Corona virus fears.

Breaking news 2 weeks ago ,

Decision due by the Carolina courts today as to weather the father will be released due to Covid 19. His lawyers want him out and placed under house arrest because he is over 70 and susceptible to the virus.

He's just chancing his arm, cant see them setting a precedent to let murderers out regardless of their age. Theres a prison in Ohio at the moment where 800 out of 2,000 prisoners have contracted the virus and they're not letting any of them out. 2 prisoners have died of it so far.

Decision due by the Carolina courts today as to weather the father will be released due to Covid 19. His lawyers want him out and placed under house arrest because he is over 70 and susceptible to the virus.

He's just chancing his arm, cant see them setting a precedent to let murderers out regardless of their age. Theres a prison in Ohio at the moment where 800 out of 2,000 prisoners have contracted the virus and they're not letting any of them out. 2 prisoners have died of it so far.

Definitely can't see them making a precedent ,but this is America after all anything can happen

Yeah, I cant see them letting him out but you really never know with America.

What Id be more worried about though is the appeal. The family are obviously gearing up for this with their Facebook campaign portraying Tom and Molly as victims of a miscarriage of justice and Jason as the aggressor. Discussion of live court cases is allowed in the media in the US so members of the family can go on local state tv and radio proclaiming Molly and Toms innocence in advance of the next trial while blackening Jasons name.

Its a tactic to influence potential members of the jury who have yet to be selected. They'll be referring to Jason as an immigrant or an alien so they can scratch that racist touchstone that lies just beneath the surface of American society and particularly prevalent in North Carolina. They can say anything about Jason to blacken his name and theres no consequences for them. Id also expect them to form daily protests outside the court house when the trial is ongoing which is really just another attempt to influence the jury. Its not going to be pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

Yeah, I cant see them letting him out but you really never know with America.

What Id be more worried about though is the appeal. The family are obviously gearing up for this with their Facebook campaign portraying Tom and Molly as victims of a miscarriage of justice and Jason as the aggressor. Discussion of live court cases is allowed in the media in the US so members of the family can go on local state tv and radio proclaiming Molly and Toms innocence in advance of the next trial while blackening Jasons name.

Its a tactic to influence potential members of the jury who have yet to be selected. They'll be referring to Jason as an immigrant or an alien so they can scratch that racist touchstone that lies just beneath the surface of American society and particularly prevalent in North Carolina. They can say anything about Jason to blacken his name and theres no consequences for them. Id also expect them to form daily protests outside the court house when the trial is ongoing which is really just another attempt to influence the jury. Its not going to be pretty.

I taught I saw it on Twitter a few mins ago it was rejected

• Advertisement

Delighted.

Advertisement