Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah, I cant see them letting him out but you really never know with America.

What Id be more worried about though is the appeal. The family are obviously gearing up for this with their Facebook campaign portraying Tom and Molly as victims of a miscarriage of justice and Jason as the aggressor. Discussion of live court cases is allowed in the media in the US so members of the family can go on local state tv and radio proclaiming Molly and Toms innocence in advance of the next trial while blackening Jasons name.

Its a tactic to influence potential members of the jury who have yet to be selected. They'll be referring to Jason as an immigrant or an alien so they can scratch that racist touchstone that lies just beneath the surface of American society and particularly prevalent in North Carolina. They can say anything about Jason to blacken his name and theres no consequences for them. Id also expect them to form daily protests outside the court house when the trial is ongoing which is really just another attempt to influence the jury. Its not going to be pretty.

Just as Molly did in her Pre trail glossy interview - Considering they’re getting a re trail, they’re white, middle class. Ex FBI and the poor victim was as you say an “alien”, there’s a distinct possibility he’ll get released before new trial starts

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Carioco

They tried to paint Jason as violent and then tried to stereotype him as a foul mouthed Irish drunkard.

At the end of the day neither assailant had a mark on them and Jason was attacked in his bed having had enough sleeping tablets in his system to make it certain he was sleeping. All the evidence points to him being asleep when he was attacked.

Furthermore there is motive. He was about to divorce Molly and bring the children to Ireland. He had even gone through the process of making sure their aunt was their guardian in the event something happened to him. This and the crime itself points to Molly being the crazy one, not him. I imagine he was walking on egg shells around here.

Did Molly ever get a psych report? She seems bonkers. It wouldn't surprise me if she had BPD along with sociopathy. Obviously the dad shares the same genes.

Another question, how did a crime scene former FBI agent **** this up so badly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭Be right back

Because they both lost the plot. I think he was arrogant enough to think he could get away with claiming self defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Definitely a level of arrogance with the father that he thought he could get away with it. I think also the US has a culture too of seeing cops and ex cops as somewhat above the law, you only have to look at the several cases where cops got away with shooting unarmed black men, it seems the scales of justice are always favouring the copper in that situation unless there is some really damning evidence.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Definitely a level of arrogance with the father that he thought he could get away with it. I think also the US has a culture too of seeing cops and ex cops as somewhat above the law, you only have to look at the several cases where cops got away with shooting unarmed black men, it seems the scales of justice are always favouring the copper in that situation unless there is some really damning evidence.

Its sad but if Jason Corbett was black they probably would have gotten away with it. Especially in North Carolina.

• Advertisement

Because they both lost the plot. I think he was arrogant enough to think he could get away with claiming self defence.

Isn't it crazy how they planned it?

Like how do you even begin to mention to your father that you want to literally murder your husband?

And then the act itself with both of them bludgeoning him to death...just sick really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Carioco wrote: »

Like how do you even begin to mention to your father that you want to literally murder your husband?

And then the act itself with both of them bludgeoning him to death...just sick really.

I’d say there’s a reasonable chance the dad was the ‘mastermind’ behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Odelay

Its sad but if Jason Corbett was black they probably would have gotten away with it. Especially in North Carolina.

yeah when race is involved over there all reason seems to go out the window. Lots of cases of cops shooting black men dead and asking questions later.

Its mad stuff but from the first trial I got the impression Molly was such a daddys girl that he would do absolutely anything for her. Any problems she had with Jason she went ringing him complaining about him, she didnt seem to have a friend her own age to confide in. Daddy blamed his daughters unhappiness all on Jason instead of asking if it was his daughter who was the problem. Molly and her dad knew they were going to lose the children and Jason was going back to Ireland, this broke her heart and no doubt the father heard all about it. By killing Jason she thought she could get custody of the children.

There definitely was some element of planning between the two of them, her dad drove hundreds of miles to stay in their house on the night of the murder, it wasnt just spontaneous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭Be right back

salmocab wrote: »
    I’d say there’s a reasonable chance the dad was the ‘mastermind’ behind it.

According to the book written by Jason's sister, his father in law never liked him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Deadly stuff, fair play.

For an ex policeman I would have expected a bit more sophistication if they were going to kill him. Seems very clumsy

For an ex policeman I would have expected a bit more sophistication if they were going to kill him. Seems very clumsy

Yeah it was clumsy but he was probably thinking I cant shoot him in his own house and then claim self defence later. He needed the story of a spontaneous fight breaking out. The 911 call says a lot to me, he was so calm during that call that there was a sense that he had got the job done and was he was now just going through the motions as per his plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Their gofundme has a photo of her and her aul lad at a wedding two weeks before their trial not a care in the world, the cover photo at a restaurant was taken after they murdered Jason. Underneath the wedding pic it says that they couldn’t have foreseen the outcome of their fate which suggests the arrogant pair of fools thought they had this in the bag.

Is it this one?
    https://gogetfunding.com/right-the-wrong-help-molly-tom/

Only $27k raised of a $300k target and just one donation in the last month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Yes look at the “updates”

I reckon Netflix will make a documentary on this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Can't believe that gofundme is still getting donations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Very clumsy indeed but my opinion is the father wasn’t involved in the assault and that she called her father to come up from the basement after he was dead and then the father tried to rig the crime scene to look like it was self defence.
    For example, does nobody think it strange that the mother stayed downstairs the whole time? I suspect that the father her told her not to come anywhere near the bedroom because she would have plausible deniability. The father essentially tried to take the fall for his daughter. She dropped a paving slab on his head ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I do not think her parents were in the basement but a groundfloor room and the children were in an upper floor to parents. I thought that her parents had some dinner or function that they cancelled and drove to the Corbett house that night. I would say the father arrived when Jason was already dead and tried to change the details to fit their version of event. Was there not doubt about time of death?

• Advertisement

Can't believe that gofundme is still getting donations!

Very few and only for small amounts given they want 300k and all it has raised is 28k. There was no donations at all between April 6th and May 1st.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's a very sad case.

I'd love to fire off a few opinions and theories but I haven't much info, and the poor kids might see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 GalwayGirl2020

Totally lost with this case. Can anyone help or update me? So early last year it was decided that there should be a retrial? But the state is trying to block this from happening? I note there has been reports about a trial been heard in January . Just wondering would any of you know is it the retrial that is starting in January(i.e the murder trial all over again)? Or is it just a trial to determine whether or not there should be a retrial? Poor children and their family. God love them. I hate to say it but have an awful feeling she could get out , even though she should never be allowed to leave her cell, let alone leave prison. What are ye all thinking? I really hope she doesnt get out but there seens to have been a number of f*ck up's in regards to Jury misconduct, and recordings not been allowed in as evidence. I pray there will be Justice for Jason

• Registered Users Posts: 40,408 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Totally lost with this case. Can anyone help or update me? So early last year it was decided that there should be a retrial? But the state is trying to block this from happening? I note there has been reports about a trial been heard in January . Just wondering would any of you know is it the retrial that is starting in January(i.e the murder trial all over again)? Or is it just a trial to determine whether or not there should be a retrial? Poor children and their family. God love them. I hate to say it but have an awful feeling she could get out , even though she should never be allowed to leave her cell, let alone leave prison. What are ye all thinking? I really hope she doesnt get out but there seens to have been a number of f*ck up's in regards to Jury misconduct, and recordings not been allowed in as evidence. I pray there will be Justice for Jason

Next month is just oral arguments about a retrial.

https://extra.ie/2020/12/05/news/world-news/visit-ban-for-killer-molly-after-she-is-found-in-prison-bed-with-another-woman

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The case of two people convicted of murdering Irish man Jason Corbett in the US is to be heard by the North Carolina Supreme Court today.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0110/1188822-jason-corbett-case/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 28 GalwayGirl2020

Oh Lord, here we go again :( The poor family of Jason Corbett....Another 6 month wait to see what happens. Just wondering if they are granted a retrial, would they be released from prison pending trial? Please god, they won't be. Poor Corbett and Lynch family

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

US court hears arguments in Corbett murder case appeal

Read more:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Still tryna brown envelope their way to freedom. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Is there any truth to her claim that he used to beat her up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Is there any truth to her claim that he used to beat her up.

Zero evidence. No calls to domestic abuse helpline, no calls to the police, no one able to confirm bruising, no medical reports etc. I can't find it now but there was a recording she produced at one stage where she taped him and tried to use as evidence that he was aggressive towards her. I can't remember the detail but from listening to it it sounded like she was trying to bait him, provoke a reaction.

He was direct and dismissive but really sounded like she was trying to set him up.

I feel so sorry for his family. Despite all the evidence that they killed him and allowed his body to go cold before they rang emergency services, Molly and her family & supporters have done such a good job of tarnishing his name. If you read the book published by her ex, it provides significant insight into what she was like. If anything, she was the abuser.

Advertisement