Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,487 ✭✭✭✭walshb

pjohnson wrote: »
    She seemed to want to have full control of the poor kids and then Daddy naturally assumed himself and his precious daughter were untouchable due to his connections and her looks.

Yes.

And still to carry the actual act..

The manner of death is so intimate and barbaric..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

walshb wrote: »
    Yes.

And still to carry the actual act..

The manner of death is so intimate and barbaric..

They probably will get away with it. American justice at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Taken from social media , Jason's family statement about the retrial

STATEMENT BY TRACEY CORBETT LYNCH AND DAVID LYNCH, LEGAL GUARDIANS OF JASON CORBETT’S CHILDREN, JACK AND SARAH.

“We are so disappointed and distraught that the Supreme Court of North Carolina has decided to grant a retrial to Tom and Molly Martens who admitted killing our beloved Jason - a father, a brother, a son and a loyal friend - who is dearly missed by all who knew and loved him. Neither of the convicted defendants has ever expressed remorse for Jason’s killing. They put his orphaned children, then aged 8 and 10, and Jason’s parents, siblings and friends through the horrific ordeal of the first trial, all the while waging a vicious and unrelenting smear campaign in the media and in the courtroom. The jury unanimously found them guilty of second-degree murder, concurring with the detectives and EMT workers who found the crime scene to be wholly inconsistent with the defence claims concocted by Tom Martens, a former FBI agent, and his daughter, Molly, who drugged Jason prior to the attack. We can only put our faith in God to guide us through the torment of a second trial. We place our trust in the Davidson County Sheriff’s Department and in the District Attorney for North Carolina both of whom recognised from the outset that Jason was the victim of a cold and calculated murder, designed to give Molly custody of Jason’s children, and the financial benefit of an insurance policy. Despite our disappointment at this decision, by a 4-3 majority, to grant the Martens a retrial, we retain our faith in the US Criminal Justice system and our confidence that a jury will once again find the Martens guilty of this “heinous, atrocious and cruel” crime. Our priority is to continue providing love, care, support and protection to Jason’s two wonderful children whom we are blessed to have as part of our family. The family will not be issuing any further statements at this time.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Very sad to see this- I can only imagine the heartbreak the family in Limerick are going through.

All these lies and alternative realities will be pedalled around the media outlets right up until the new trial commences. It’s a worrying time- there’s certainly no guarantee of a conviction second time around, especially if they’re taking that approach- they’ve had 3 years or so to embellish their side of the story- all they need is reasonable doubt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

There was also the cultural differences, her psycho dad hated the fact he enjoyed a few pints and hated his Irish mates and family.

Saw this first hand in Dublin few years ago. Was in town in the afternoon with 5 YO son and there was a rugby match on so went in to have a couple of pints while watching the game.

An older yank couple were obviously agitated at this and mumbling under the breath about it. When I ordered the second pint yer man got up in a temper and walked out with the wife following. Fecking psycho.

The poor waiter was dumbfounded when he arrived with their food 2 mins later.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Retrial could just as likely do them more damage.

Outside of Jason's family and Molly's family, who are obviously going to be biased. Not one person seems to have come out in the media with a bad word to say about Jason. Lots of stories have come out suggesting Molly is very unstable, in fact haven't seen anything that was nice said about her.
    It says a lot.

Those kids were also old enough when all this happened to have actually been taking in what was going on in the house so if they are forced to give evidence this time.Above all, it is the two children who will be suffering the most right now, they'll have been having memories etc about what went on in the house and if Molly as believed truly was abusive and unstable etc then they have to go through all that again as well as face the idea that the people who made them orphans could now walk free.

Mimon wrote: »
    Saw this first hand in Dublin few years ago. Was in town in the afternoon with 5 YO son and there was a rugby match on so went in to have a couple of pints while watching the game.

An older yank couple were obviously agitated at this and mumbling under the breath about it. When I ordered the second pint yer man got up in a temper and walked out with the wife following. Fecking psycho.

The poor waiter was dumbfounded when he arrived with their food 2 mins later.

My father was in the US on business and it was near some cousins of ours so he stayed with them. He has a glass of whiskey every night before bed, just the one mind. He asked them if they had any and they produced a bottle of Teachers. They mentioned they had gotten it as a present when Anne was born. Anne was 19. That bottle had sat in the cupboard for nearly 20 years.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In fairness, if someone gave me a bottle of Teachers, it would stay in the press until I had a guest I wasn't too fond of who wanted a whiskey.

Retrial could just as likely do them more damage.

Outside of Jason's family and Molly's family, who are obviously going to be biased. Not one person seems to have come out in the media with a bad word to say about Jason. Lots of stories have come out suggesting Molly is very unstable, in fact haven't seen anything that was nice said about her.
    It says a lot.

Those kids were also old enough when all this happened to have actually been taking in what was going on in the house so if they are forced to give evidence this time.Above all, it is the two children who will be suffering the most right now, they'll have been having memories etc about what went on in the house and if Molly as believed truly was abusive and unstable etc then they have to go through all that again as well as face the idea that the people who made them orphans could now walk free.

Well I hope if there's some sort of biased "glossy" documentary this time on American TV like there was the last time, featuring Molly the Murderer, that they take a more balanced approach and interview Jason's family as well, so let the audience decide- any of these sort of interventions- social media, TV etc are designed to influence the jury and public opinion - it's completely different than what we have in Ireland once a case goes sub judice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

pjohnson wrote: »
    They probably will get away with it. American justice at its best.

American justice is a lot less forgiving than Irish justice. I'd be hopeful that they will be found guilty again.

My father was in the US on business and it was near some cousins of ours so he stayed with them. He has a glass of whiskey every night before bed, just the one mind. He asked them if they had any and they produced a bottle of Teachers. They mentioned they had gotten it as a present when Anne was born. Anne was 19. That bottle had sat in the cupboard for nearly 20 years.

I used to work for an American woman who used to be shocked at her neighbour going to the pub for a few pints with friends after work. She thought he was a serious alcoholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭Be right back

Mules wrote: »
    American justice is a lot less forgiving than Irish justice. I'd be hopeful that they will be found guilty again.

If they are found guilty for the second time, will their sentences increase?

In fairness, if someone gave me a bottle of Teachers, it would stay in the press until I had a guest I wasn't too fond of who wanted a whiskey.

My parents had Teachers in their cabinet back in the 80's "in case someone called"- they didn't drink alcohol or know anything other than to ask for a bottle of "scotch" in the local supermarket- American uncle came and drank it- he seemed very happy :D

Simpler times I guess. Yep, wouldn't be proud to have it in the house these days but back then, Powers, Teachers, Black & White were probably the main Irish/Scotch whiskeys advertised or purchased.
    Mules wrote: »
    I used to work for an American woman who used to be shocked at her neighbour going to the pub for a few pints with friends after work. She thought he was a serious alcoholic.

Culturally, Europeans seem to approach alcohol and drinking in much different ways to Americans- it's one of those juxtapositions that I've never understood- Americans appear so liberal in some ways and then are more like the staunchest of Presbyterian preachers the next.

I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Probably not, they are likely to have guidelines for sentences, so it could go up or down a bit, but not much, I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,408 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No. This is a complete do-over.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Is there any truth to her claim that he used to beat her up.

His Children or Child said he used.

No. This is a complete do-over.

Is it a case of second degree murder or first degree?

According to the Indo, Jason Corbett's kids wish to offer evidence in the upcoming trial of the two murderers...
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/corbett-children-wanttheirvoices-to-be-heard-in-martens-retrial-40233010.html

• Advertisement

According to the Indo, Jason Corbett's kids wish to offer evidence in the upcoming trial of the two murderers...
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/corbett-children-wanttheirvoices-to-be-heard-in-martens-retrial-40233010.html

That won’t happen. Too much time has passed and their relatives will have had some influence on their memories.

If they can use statements made by two children who had just been made orphans as a defence, the now much older children should be able to dispute these.

If they can use statements made by two children who had just been made orphans as a defence, the now much older children should be able to dispute these.

The question would be how accurate their new viewpoint is considering the amount of time spent with their fathers family.
    I’m just playing devils advocate here btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,408 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The question would be how accurate their new viewpoint is considering the amount of time spent with their fathers family.

the real point is how accurate would a jury find their testimony. 2 tearful children talking about their dead father is not going to help the defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I may have missed this, but on what grounds was a retrial granted?

Apparently (I believe) it was claimed that the judge had excluded critical evidence in their case, which would have supported the murderers claims that they acted in self-defence. This critical evidence includes testimony form the kids to social workers that the father was abusive

Yeah, but I guess they'll probably be under oath where as first time maybe not?
    First time they were young, devastated, shocked, confused and scared and she'd potentially been manipulating their thoughts about him for months if she had all of it pre-planned well in advance. I mean she just seems like the type of person who would do that.

Yeah, but I guess they'll probably be under oath where as first time maybe not?
    First time they were young, devastated, shocked, confused and scared and she'd potentially been manipulating their thoughts about him for months if she had all of it pre-planned well in advance. I mean she just seems like the type of person who would do that.

While that is the most likely scenario, the Martens will no doubt say something similar about the influence of the Corbett families since the children came to live with them.

It’ll be interesting!

Apparently (I believe) it was claimed that the judge had excluded critical evidence in their case, which would have supported the murderers claims that they acted in self-defence. This critical evidence includes testimony form the kids to social workers that the father was abusive

I would love to know how they can still claim that it was self defence.

• Advertisement

Just been reading stories about this, his family here getting death threats etc from the US on social media. Jesus. :rolleyes:

Advertisement