Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

From a recent interview on Foxnews8 in the U.S. posted on 16th March 2021:

Davidson County District Attorney Garry Frank has about three weeks to decide if he is going to try Martens and his daughter a second time. It’s not an easy decision with the way the coronavirus pandemic has put a heavy backlog on every court system in the state.

“I’ve got a number of families, victims of homicides and other cases that have been waiting for their cases to be tried for a long time. And we’ve been on an imposed sabbatical on that for the past year,” says Frank. “The pursuit of justice is rarely easy and that’s the guiding star that we’re trying to keep our sight on for all of this and we’re here for the duration.”

The new DA seems to be already suggesting reasons to not re-try them but let them go free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Davidson County District Attorney Garry Frank has about three weeks to decide if he is going to try Martens and his daughter a second time. It’s not an easy decision with the way the coronavirus pandemic has put a heavy backlog on every court system in the state.

“I’ve got a number of families, victims of homicides and other cases that have been waiting for their cases to be tried for a long time. And we’ve been on an imposed sabbatical on that for the past year,” says Frank. “The pursuit of justice is rarely easy and that’s the guiding star that we’re trying to keep our sight on for all of this and we’re here for the duration.”

The new DA seems to be already suggesting reasons to not re-try them but let them go free.

If ever the groundwork was laid for a plea bargain with sentence of time served, that’s it. They will have a 2nd degree manslaughter charge and be free to go on with their lives but poor Jason Corbett will have his name blackened forever as an abuser while they whine self defense. It is rotten to the core. The only slight consolation is that the kids are too old for the psycho to claim custody. They will be adults before it gets through the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,637 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thats America. Land of the Free (for a price)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

pjohnson wrote: »
    Thats America. Land of the Free (for a price)
    Crazy place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Outrageous

Great article...

Dead men tell no tales..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭golfball37

#ibelieveher

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

walshb wrote: »
    Dead men tell no tales..

That's exactly what I was thinking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Advertisement

Even with the children’s taped evidence, I don’t see how they won’t be found guilty again. As crazy as the system is over there, you can’t brutally batter a defenceless man to death and get away scot free. Once a person is down, there’s no defence to continuing the attack, no matter what events they “believe” preceded it. It was definitely a case of overkill, as per the autopsy report.

They had no marks on them and it was two against one.

I would like to know how involved the father was in the pre-planning. Did rage just overtake him in the moment, or was he involved in the advance planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭blackwhite

A publication like that is always going to paint the pretty blonde American woman as a victim, no matter what the actual circumstances.

blackwhite wrote: »
    A publication like that is always going to paint the pretty blonde American woman as a victim, no matter what the actual circumstances.

I actually thought that it painted her as a scheming, manipulative fantasist.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I would like to know how involved the father was in the pre-planning. Did rage just overtake him in the moment, or was he involved in the advance planning?

I thought the parents arrived during the evening on a unsheduled visit? Was it to answer a request for help from Molly? I thought there was evidence that Jason had taken sleeping medication? He seemed to have been dead a long time by the time the ambos arrived and this did not tie in with phone evidence of them calling for help and saying he was still alive. There was no evidence from Molly's mother of what went down that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes. I was wondering if I had read the article correctly..

The article seems balanced, and leads me to believe that this woman is a stone cold killer..

Even if Mr. Corbett was not a “perfect” husband, what these two did was horrendous. Depraved. They set out to wipe this man out. And they did!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I don't think the article mentioned that her sleeping medication was found in Jason?. Also the ludicrous explanation of why the brick was on the bedsite locker was to keep it out of the rain??!
    She apparently knew Jason was moving back to Ireland with the children so any of this alleged "abuse" would end then. Did she convince daddy that she was being so badly treated that the only solution was to kill Jason? Daddy maybe believed his little princess? She does have a history of lying.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Garlinge wrote: »

I thought the parents arrived during the evening on a unsheduled visit? Was it to answer a request for help from Molly? I thought there was evidence that Jason had taken sleeping medication? He seemed to have been dead a long time by the time the ambos arrived and this did not tie in with phone evidence of them calling for help and saying he was still alive. There was no evidence from Molly's mother of what went down that evening.

The bat he apparently brought along for Jack been in such easy reach suggests pre-planned. That and her mother and neither of the children woke up with all this commotion. Only her father and I'd imagine for the first few smacks to the head Jason would have screamed out.

Whole thing is so odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Really? It seems to be trying to spin a narrative of a long history of abuse, and that Molly couldn't possibly be expected to have perfect recollection because she's the victim in all of this.

Sizeable portions of the article go into detail about all the abuse that she claims to have suffered, and her own misdeeds are largely glossed over

We get a long description of the Martens' version of the murder in the bedroom, but again it glosses over the actual forensic evidence that contradicts large parts of their account.

They even go so far as to pull out the following sentences as sub-headlines within the article
    When it comes to domestic violence, stereotypes impact more than who gets believed—they shape how blame is apportioned.

Women who’ve been abused “enter the courtroom at a disadvantage

It’s more comforting to believe that violence next door would be obvious than it is to live with the unsettling reality that this isn’t always true.'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

US prosecutors offer plea bargain deal to Tom and Molly Martens over killing of Jason Corbett
    ‘Today the District Attorney for Davidson County has let her and her father get away with murder’ – Tracey Corbett Lynch

• Advertisement

That is disgraceful, shame n that DA.

They could still get a hefty sentence for manslaughter, anything less than 15 -20 years would be an absolute insult to Jason’s memory.

Those poor kids :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

US prosecutors offer plea bargain deal to Tom and Molly Martens over killing of Jason Corbett
    ‘Today the District Attorney for Davidson County has let her and her father get away with murder’ – Tracey Corbett Lynch
    Just reading there that Jason's phone and computer was never found. Surely that's damning information right there. He didn't hide his own phone/computer since he didn't know he was going to die. That only left The Martens who could have hid them and I wonder why - not.

That is disgraceful, shame n that DA.

They could still get a hefty sentence for manslaughter, anything less than 15 -20 years would be an absolute insult to Jason’s memory.

Those poor kids :mad:

They intimated they might be heading in this direction in a press release last week linked on this thread somewhere-while it”s murder, it’s a white middle class murder of a non-American citizen by a former police official- it’s not high up on the agenda of a DA wishing to get ahead in their career and there will be little “uproar” locally -I honestly don’t see them serving any more time for “unlawful killing” or if they do, it will be a couple of years at most in a minimum security prison or even at home with an ankle bracelet -

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

This is all very say. Those poor kids.

See the family released a statement on the Facebook page, the kids have been in US this week giving statements and accusing her of child abuse!
    Had forgotten about her facebook behaviour while awaiting trial, that was all very weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Former FBI, was always going to get away with this eventually, Scum

• Registered Users Posts: 23,637 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

forumdedum wrote: »
    Former FBI, was always going to get away with this eventually, Scum

The biggest surpise is they got 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its pretty astonishing that the district attorney in North Carolina is just able to come along and say 'ah yeah, we know we found you guilty a few years ago but if you waive your right to a re-trial we will do a deal to give you years off your sentence'.

So what happens now? Presumably the lawyer who represents Molly and Tom negotiates with the district attorney on how many years there are to serve for manslaughter instead of their current sentence for murder. Then Molly and Tom decide whether or not to accept the offer of X years off their sentence or stick with their demand for a re-trial.

Its mad that the district attorney can do this. Like he convicted them in front of a jury and should stand over and have confidence in his prosecution and be ready to do it all over again in the event of a retrial. But instead he is throwing out a plea deal which will let them get years off their sentence. Yet nothing materially has changed from then to now- even if the childrens interviews were to be admitted in evidence that doesnt change the fundamental facts of the case, namely that Molly and Tom battered Jason to death with a baseball bat and a concrete block and even kept hitting him after he was dead. Yet the DA having proved all that in front of a jury is now saying 'ah yeah sure just sign here and instead of being out in 2036 you'll be free in 2026'. It stinks to high heavens.

Taken from the following link- in fairness to the DA he was actually the one who achieved the conviction so in my last post I’ve probably done him a disservice- maybe there’s a myriad of things the Martens can argue second time around that would make the chances of a second murder conviction very small indeed but it looks like very little if any more time to be served if they accept the plea deal

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/jason-corbetts-family-devastated-as-tom-and-molly-martens-get-bail-after-being-offered-plea-deal-1104955.html

They both have a week to decide if they want to take the plea. There are three different scales of law here, so (the DA) is downgrading (the offence) to manslaughter, and offering them between 80 and 104 months, but it could actually be from 67 months, and they have 44 months already served,” she said.

“That’s what they have been offered for Jason’s life. They could potentially be free within a year or so. I’d expect they will apply for bail tomorrow or perhaps early next week.”

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Its pretty astonishing that the district attorney in North Carolina is just able to come along and say 'ah yeah, we know we found you guilty a few years ago but if you waive your right to a re-trial we will do a deal to give you years off your sentence'.

So what happens now? Presumably the lawyer who represents Molly and Tom negotiates with the district attorney on how many years there are to serve for manslaughter instead of their current sentence for murder. Then Molly and Tom decide whether or not to accept the offer of X years off their sentence or stick with their demand for a re-trial.

Its mad that the district attorney can do this. Like he convicted them in front of a jury and should stand over and have confidence in his prosecution and be ready to do it all over again in the event of a retrial. But instead he is throwing out a plea deal which will let them get years off their sentence. Yet nothing materially has changed from then to now- even if the childrens interviews were to be admitted in evidence that doesnt change the fundamental facts of the case, namely that Molly and Tom battered Jason to death with a baseball bat and a concrete block and even kept hitting him after he was dead. Yet the DA having proved all that in front of a jury is now saying 'ah yeah sure just sign here and instead of being out in 2036 you'll be free in 2026'. It stinks to high heavens.

Hobson’s choice-a solid conviction for unlawful killing with a relatively small additional sentence/time served or a potential not guilty of murder verdict in the next trial?

While I berated the DA in a previous post, no matter how we feel about the case, he knows the details better than most- I do feel this has become a less important case for him, that he has other priorities, that he has limited resources to devote to it- and that’s terribly sad- but I also feel in any retrial the reasonable doubt will be much stronger than it was in the previous trial, Jason’s name will be dragged through the dirt once more, every trick in the book will be used to sully his good name- I don’t think that will be justice either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

In the greatest tradition of the American justice system, I hope the Corbett family take a civil case against the Mertens on behalf of Jason's children.
    The unlawful killing of their father should be worth a large chunk of change in the States. It's not justice, but it might be as close as they get.

Advertisement