Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Meanwhile in Missouri, there was a black man serving a fifty to life and already served 21 years.
    What did he do to deserve this you may ask. Murder? No! Sexual crimes? No! Selling weed? Yes!
    Louisiana has 429 prisoners serving life sentences for nonviolent crimes, the highest number of any state; 91 percent of them are black.

This kind of guff gets posted as proof of racism, yet all it is proof of is a high amount of crime committed by African Americans. The police don't just arrest people because of their race, no matter how much you try and frame it as being so.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

TomTomTim wrote: »
    This kind of guff gets posted as proof of racism, yet all it is proof of is a high amount of crime committed by African Americans. The police don't just arrest people because of their race, no matter how much you try and frame it as being so.

So if the Martens were black, and the victim was a white ex-FBI veteran, would they be sitting on death row as we speak? Of course they would.

So if the Martens were black, and the victim was a white ex-FBI veteran, would they be sitting on death row as we speak? Of course they would.

None of that is the case, so has no bearing in this thread. If you would agree that justice for Jason, his children and the rest of his family is not being served, please sign the petition. His brother has also contacted Joe Biden. Hope something will come of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

Lillyfae wrote: »
    None of that is the case, so has no bearing in this thread. If you would agree that justice for Jason, his children and the rest of his family is not being served, please sign the petition. His brother has also contacted Joe Biden. Hope something will come of that.

Petition signed, thanks.

• Advertisement

This article from Elle magazine dated 24th March is an interesting (yet disturbing) read in that it gives you an insight into what the defence might look like if an unlikely second trial takes place- you can also see that regardless of the truth, a so called journalist will find a way to make a story- note this article is a very long - I’m pretty disgusted at the angle it’s taking (essentially that Molly is/was a victim of domestic abuse) - but I think it’s still important that we see all arguments and make our own minds up-

I’m still of the opinion Molly has and had for a very long time, given the past history stories we’ve read, some form of psychotic tendencies (I’m not a doctor) and supported by her father who knows only too well what his precious daughter is capable of -and who knows, maybe her father had a role in creating this monster in terms of her upbringing.
    She’s still a murderer in my eyes regardless of what a woman’s glossy magazine might say

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.elle.com/culture/amp35914135/molly-martens-corbett-murder/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Is there anywhere Irish people can help? Petitions etc?
    Feel very sorry for the family and if I thought there was anything I could do, I'd jump on it because those poor people have been through hell already.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

TomTomTim wrote: »

Spot on

Fed up to the tits with blame for wrongdoing being always someone else’s fault..

Is there anywhere Irish people can help? Petitions etc?
    Feel very sorry for the family and if I thought there was anything I could do, I'd jump on it because those poor people have been through hell already.

There is a petition, but unless it gains traction in Davidson County there’s no onus on the DA or judiciary to pay any attention IMO. I’m sharing with my US friends and family, I urge everyone to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

What I don't understand is how a jury found them guilty of murder, but the DA can disregard this, downgrade it and make a plea deal? They're just ignoring an actual murder conviction?

• Advertisement

What I don't understand is how a jury found them guilty of murder, but the DA can disregard this, downgrade it and make a plea deal? They're just ignoring an actual murder conviction?

Didn't you hear? Elle magazine, that well renowned bible of law and order worshiped by all right thinking women, is now proposing that Molly was a victim of domestic abuse - SHE's now the victim. You couldn't make it up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Didn't you hear? Elle magazine, that well renowned bible of law and order worshiped by all right thinking women, is now proposing that Molly was a victim of domestic abuse - SHE's now the victim. You couldn't make it up :rolleyes:

Well, allegedly the dead man did speak to her not so nicely, and he liked the odd drink or two..

She and the old man had to do something.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Theres an article here which claims that national biases have an effect in these types of cases
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2021/04/02/justice-and-jason/

Load of rubbish I think as the evidence is so strong against the Martins but interesting to see how Americans whove been following the case believe the exact opposite of what Irish believe

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Theres an article here which claims that national biases have an effect in these types of cases

Load of rubbish I think as the evidence is so strong against the Martins but interesting to see how Americans whove been following the case believe the exact opposite of what Irish believe

It's not just bias- since these guys have been convicted, you have any number of movements associated with abuse based on race, cruelty to women, discrimination against ethnicities, sexual violence etc
    While I would certainly hope that these movements will do only good for their stated causes, and that society as a whole will change for the good, I'm of the view that there's a natural pendulum swing that happens throughout such change events in society and Molly and Tom would likely benefit from this, in that right now, everyone who claims abuse, is listened to- even those falsely claiming abuse or claiming it for nefarious reasons. I believe Molly is claiming abuse for nefarious reasons- but that doesn't change the fact that a jury may listen to her, and justify a decision of not-guilty based on reasonable doubt.

I've said a number of times in this thread, that a 2nd trial would be devastating for the memory of Jason Corbett- it would be sullied by lies, innuendos and so much more- don't just concentrate on the evidence in the first trial- these last 5 years have brought, overall, a great sea-change in attitudes towards abuse and sexual violence- and I'm convinced that a re-trial for murder 2 would find Tom and Molly not-guilty based on reasonable doubt, simply because the whole case of the defence would be based on an abused wife- something I might add, I don't believe happened, based on the evidence- but I'm not an NC juror- and it's only their opinion that counts.

furthermore, that's my reason for not signing the petition for a re-trial- RIP Jason Corbett- justice was served and we know it was served, regardless of what happens now, and what stupid magazine has to say.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Weird piece in relation to the Irish journalist that contacted the family. I mean I agree with them around the weird narrative we see for murder suicides but I don't think that is excusing domestic violence in Ireland I think it is more trying to make sense of horrible situations and a misunderstanding of mental health. Most people have never experienced someone who suffers from psychosis / has psychotic episodes and I never agree with the jumping on cases like them and accusing the man/killer of domestic violence when in most cases it is unlikely to be the case. Clear to see the bias here even in Ireland when it is a man that kills the wife/children it is immediately assumed by certain cohorts that he must have been abusing the wife and her life must have been hell. If a woman kills the children, the same people do not accuse her of abuse. They just think she must have been under pressure and snapped.

I've seen a lot of American's who believe that justice was served and lots of negative things said about Molly, but the only negative words I've read about Jason, have been from her side.

We know she is a little unhinged so his frustrations may have started coming out towards the end if she was constantly baiting him, winding him up etc whose wouldn't? Sure I'd say the same happens in all our relationships, we all tell our partners to piss off every once in a while, raise our voices a bit, slam the press when we're annoyed. :D It's not abuse, it's just a disagreement, normal relationships get over that fairly quickly.

Possible that the Irish media are portraying it a little differently, but in the days of the internet we've all read US media around this too and by and large it paints it all the exact same way IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,428 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the original verdict has been put aside. everything starts afresh

Weird piece in relation to the Irish journalist that contacted the family. .

What we're seen between this article and the one I referenced from Elle magazine, is some so called journalists latching on to the fact that the 2nd degree murder conviction has now been set aside, and in the short period between either an accepted plea bargain or re-trail, they're placing Molly Martens on some sort of victim of domestic abuse pedestal -

Grace Garvey, Broadsheet.ie should hang her head in shame for that absolute bollox that's she's written in that article comparing the Birmingham 6 innocence to Tom and Molly? Seriously Grace, you write like you are you a complete and utter misinformed and easily led sheep - Ive many a name for you but journalist is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

Jasons first wife Mags fitzpatrick died in her sleep from a heart attack I believe?
    Molly's father gave an interview where he said he spoke to Mags father and asked him what do you think of Jason..Mags father is said to have replied I think he killed my daughter.
    The Fitzpatrick family later denied the conversation ever took place.

Jasons first wife Mags fitzpatrick died in her sleep from a heart attack I believe?
    Molly's father gave an interview where he said he spoke to Mags father and asked him what do you think of Jason..Mags father is said to have replied I think he killed my daughter.
    The Fitzpatrick family later denied the conversation ever took place.

If you're going to post such comments at the very least have the decency to back it up with accurate context:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/oh-well-his-first-wife-died-at-3am-molly-martens-questions-death-of-jasons-first-partner-in-us-tv-interview-36025222.html

The Limerick woman, mother of Mr Corbett's two children, died from cardiac arrest due to an asthma attack.

Mr Martens said Michael Fitzpatrick, Mags' father, told him he held Mr Corbett responsible for his daughter's death.

However, Mr Fitzpatrick, before his death, signed a sworn statement with a Limerick solicitor that he had never passed such a comment to Mr Martens.

Both of these murdering liars manipulated a very willing media- I would love to know what strings were pulled in order that Molly gained an ABC 20/20 show soft focus TV interview and given a very easy ride, that placed her as the victim and exactly how much she was paid, because make no mistake, money changed hands with some people for this interview. It's pretty disgusting.

Lets not forget either than when the kids went back to Limerick from the US Molly tried to get an airplane with a banner flying after it to circle above the kids school. The pilot she contacted refused to do the job when he realized what it was for.

Really you need to be a special kind of crazy to even think about hiring an airplane for that, dont mind actually trying to go through with it. The incident says a lot about the frame of mind she was in, its bunny boiler territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

If you're going to post such comments at the very least have the decency to back it up with accurate context:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/oh-well-his-first-wife-died-at-3am-molly-martens-questions-death-of-jasons-first-partner-in-us-tv-interview-36025222.html

The Limerick woman, mother of Mr Corbett's two children, died from cardiac arrest due to an asthma attack.

Mr Martens said Michael Fitzpatrick, Mags' father, told him he held Mr Corbett responsible for his daughter's death.

However, Mr Fitzpatrick, before his death, signed a sworn statement with a Limerick solicitor that he had never passed such a comment to Mr Martens.

Both of these murdering liars manipulated a very willing media- I would love to know what strings were pulled in order that Molly gained an ABC 20/20 show soft focus TV interview and given a very easy ride, that placed her as the victim and exactly how much she was paid, because make no mistake, money changed hands with some people for this interview. It's pretty disgusting.

Yes that's the interview I was referring to...that's a guy who served his career in the FBI people.

Her eyes are darting all over the room in that interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Lets not forget either than when the kids went back to Limerick from the US Molly tried to get an airplane with a banner flying after it to circle above the kids school. The pilot she contacted refused to do the job when he realized what it was for.

Really you need to be a special kind of crazy to even think about hiring an airplane for that, dont mind actually trying to go through with it. The incident says a lot about the frame of mind she was in, its bunny boiler territory.

Sadly she will murder her new beau

Lillyfae wrote: »
    There is a petition, but unless it gains traction in Davidson County there’s no onus on the DA or judiciary to pay any attention IMO. I’m sharing with my US friends and family, I urge everyone to do the same.

Just thought of something aswell. If they are released on bail or otherwise, I assume they will return to the homestead of Knoxville Tennessee. If anyone knows people there it would be an idea to let them know. Maybe the good people of Knoxville would be none too pleased by these brutes being free to move around their community as they wish.

Some new info on this plea deal, the result of which is expected to be known in the next 72 hours
    Both are considering the plea bargain deal with their defence lawyers. If they accept the plea deal, they will likely receive a five year and seven month term for voluntary manslaughter.

The father and daughter would then be transferred from Davidson County jail back to North Carolina prisons to complete their term. Manslaughter sentences, with aggravating factors, can extend to nine years in North Carolina. Having already served almost four years behind bars, they could expect to be released around March 2023 if a minimum term is applied.

The duo had been serving 20-25 year sentences for the second degree murder of the packaging industry executive. If they reject the plea deal from Davidson County District Attorney, Garry Frank, the father and daughter will face a full retrial on second degree murder charges. Any such retrial is not expected before late 2022 with a major backlog of murder trials in North Carolina because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

However North Carolina law allows for a victims family to take a legal challenge against plea deals and the Corbett family intend to do so on the basis that the deal is too lenient
    However, the Limerick family of Mr Corbett expressed outrage at the plea bargain offer and plan to take a legal challenge if the Martens accept it. Under North Carolina law, victims’ families have the right to challenge any plea bargain deal if it is considered excessively lenient.

Mr Corbett's sister, Tracey Corbett-Lynch, said her family has been overwhelmed by the reaction of the US and Irish public to a petition launched over the controversial plea bargain deal.

"Jason's murder, our fight for justice and the challenges such as consideration of offering plea deals leave families such as ours powerless and suffering so much more than is necessary," she said. The Corbett family launched a petition on www.change.org called 'Retrial for Molly and Tom Martens' which aims to garner public support for blocking the plea deal. It exceeded its 7,500-signature target within 72 hours.
    https://www.independent.ie/world-news/north-america/new-prison-mugshots-releasedof-killers-tom-and-molly-martens-40280291.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Your one doesn't seem to be getting her beauty sleep in jail. Am I being vindictive? Yes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/first-pictures-killers-molly-thomas-23860159.amp

• Registered Users Posts: 40,428 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Your one doesn't seem to be getting her beauty sleep in jail. Am I being vindictive? Yes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/first-pictures-killers-molly-thomas-23860159.amp

the time in prison hasn't been kind to her. Nor to him, he looks really thin and drawn.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

the time in prison hasn't been kind to her. Nor to him, he looks really thin and drawn.

Good. It's not meant to be either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

• Advertisement

Sound like the Martens both accepted the plea deal to plea guilty to manslaughter. Its a travesty that there isnt a retrial given a jury already found them guilty of murder. A retrial would allow the Martens to introduce their new defense but the evidence against them will still be damning.

Effectively the DA is placing himself in the role of a judge by allowing them to reduce their sentence from 20 odd years down to 5 or 6 years. Thats a huge disparity in the severity of the sentence which shows the importance of a retrial to test the new evidence which is ropey at best.

Advertisement