Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Sound like the Martens both accepted the plea deal to plea guilty to manslaughter. Its a travesty that there isnt a retrial given a jury already found them guilty of murder. A retrial would allow the Martens to introduce their new defense but the evidence against them will still be damning.

Effectively the DA is placing himself in the role of a judge by allowing them to reduce their sentence from 20 odd years down to 5 or 6 years. Thats a huge disparity in the severity of the sentence which shows the importance of a retrial to test the new evidence which is ropey at best.

Scum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Very hard to bear for the Corbetts.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Very hard to bear for the Corbetts.

That's what I keep thinking.

I find it hard to even read anything about that pair, and I'm a complete outsider.
    I cannot even begin to imagine how the Corbett family feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,463 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sound like the Martens both accepted the plea deal to plea guilty to manslaughter. Its a travesty that there isnt a retrial given a jury already found them guilty of murder. A retrial would allow the Martens to introduce their new defense but the evidence against them will still be damning.
    Effectively the DA is placing himself in the role of a judge by allowing them to reduce their sentence from 20 odd years down to 5 or 6 years. Thats a huge disparity in the severity of the sentence which shows the importance of a retrial to test the new evidence which is ropey at best.

How is this happening? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

A lot of the US legal systems is based on plea deals ,there more for political reasons than anything else , apparently they were only offered the deal due to a backlog of murder cases in the state due to covid ,
    Would have rather they faced trial and convictions again than being allowed to walk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

You wouldn't mind, to some extent, if they were going to be released into a society that would reject them. But I think they are fairly well supported in their community so will probably live normal lives. Which makes it even more sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

If they were two poor black men in the jurisdiction convicted of murder would they have been offered a plea bargain that would get them out of jail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Ah yes - the Land of the free, you can be what you want to be.

Nobody does justice and freedom like the festering mess that is the US of A.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

The father must have called in a few favours from his law enforcement buddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

That's what I keep thinking.

I find it hard to even read anything about that pair, and I'm a complete outsider.
    I cannot even begin to imagine how the Corbett family feel.

I'd say they're livid.
    With a plea deal there is an admission of guilt.
    If I were the Corbett family I'd go full 'American justice' on their ass and file a 100m dollar lawsuit and clean them out to ensure the kids get a windfall and some kind of restorative justice. They should start a gofundme for the suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I was reading over the weekend that North Carolina statute allows the victims or the family of victims to challenge any plea deals before they are ratified.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/corbett-family-will-mount-legal-challenge-to-any-plea-deal-40272530.html
    Under North Carolina law, such deals can be challenged by victims' families if they are perceived to be overly lenient or otherwise unjustified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Even if the plea deal was to serve minimum 15 years it would provide some measure of justice, anything less is an insult to Jason’s memory and to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

If they were two poor black men in the jurisdiction convicted of murder would they have been offered a plea bargain that would get them out of jail?

Not a chance. However, there is a good chance they would be sentenced to death for the same crime in that state.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Ah yes - the Land of the free, you can be what you want to be.

Nobody does justice and freedom like the festering mess that is the US of A.
    Floppybits wrote: »
    The father must have called in a few favours from his law enforcement buddies.

Judaical systems are more plea deals then nail biting court dramas like Law and Order. Otherwise courts would be more backed up then what they are and where possible they will always try to avoid a timely and costly trial.

Unfortunately that is what is happening here. I hate it just like everyone else here.

Civil case could be looked at. Unfortunately I say the Martens could be looking at 1 to try and gets kids back

Not a chance. However, there is a good chance they would be sentenced to death for the same crime in that state.

There be a plea deal just not as good. Death or life

• Registered Users Posts: 21,020 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

We get blinded sometimes by English speaking white people but America is very much a foreign country

We get blinded sometimes by English speaking white people but America is very much a foreign country

Just white

You think plea deals are not done in other countries or Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Just white

No plea deals when you can still be out walking around with 100 convictions to your name.

Floppybits wrote: »
    No plea deals when you can still be out walking around with 100 convictions to your name.

Not for them no but I say they do happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

• Advertisement

Just white

Not on the industrial scale they are used in America , something like 70% of all prisoners are in on plea deals ,plea deals are geared towards political career building saying your the DA with the most convictions under your belt is a guaranteed votes in local political elections

Is that article real?

When they're released they'll make plenty of money selling their story to TV etc. Who says crime does not pay?

Gatling wrote: »
    So it's going to retrial next year ??

No-they have about 2 days to accept or reject a plea bargain deal

"Molly Martens and Tom Martens beat Mr Corbett to death with a metal baseball bat and a concrete paving brick, their trial had heard.

However, they claimed they had acted in self-defence after Mr Corbett tried to choke Ms Martens. Despite this defence, the trial heard that when police and paramedics arrived at the house they found no visible marks on Molly and Tom Martens."

Where did the paving brick come from? Self defence. Absolutely pathetic.

Basically Covid 19 has worked for this scum. Although I always knew being in FBI would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

And he was found with sleeping tablets in his system which were prescribed to Martin’s in the days prior To the Murder.

amber2 wrote: »
    And he was drugged with sleeping tablets which were prescribed to Martin’s in the days prior To the
    Murder.

Gets little or no mentions in the original trial

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

forumdedum wrote: »
    "Molly Martens and Tom Martens beat Mr Corbett to death with a metal baseball bat and a concrete paving brick, their trial had heard.

However, they claimed they had acted in self-defence after Mr Corbett tried to choke Ms Martens. Despite this defence, the trial heard that when police and paramedics arrived at the house they found no visible marks on Molly and Tom Martens."

Where did the paving brick come from? Self defence. Absolutely pathetic.

Basically Covid 19 has worked for this scum. Although I always knew being in FBI would

After the attack, she was seen to rubbing forcefully at her neck and was asked to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,020 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Just white

I was just saying there’s a massive cultural difference between us and them

• Advertisement

Only reason it went this way was the FBI connection

Advertisement