Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,492 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It’s beyond despicable that these two monsters could walk..

Think I’ll just erase this case from my memory....

Too fooking annoying to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I am not a violent person but I can safely say if it were my family I would find a way to take them both out & do the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭Be right back

His poor kids. Both parents gone well before their time. Hope Molly and gang will leave them alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

His poor kids. Both parents gone well before their time. Hope Molly and gang will leave them alone.
    Ms. Psycho will try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

So it's a retrial. Is that because they didn't accept the plea deal or was it not offered to them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

Mrsmum wrote: »
    So it's a retrial. Is that because they didn't accept the plea deal or was it not offered to them ?

Where does it say it is a retrial?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ms. Psycho will try.

All the Corbetts have to do, for once, is to delay proceedings that Martens brings against them to gain custody until the kids are 18. That's only 2-3 years away.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

horse7 wrote: »
    Davidson County District Attorney Garry Frank told FOX8 that he "does not discuss pretrial matters and will neither confirm or deny any plea offers. He added that a retrial is not off the table"

“I’ve got a number of families, victims of homicides and other cases that have been waiting for their cases to be tried for a long time,” Frank said before the decision. “And we’ve been on an imposed sabbatical on that for the past year. The pursuit of justice is rarely easy and that’s the guiding star that we’re trying to keep our sight on for all of this and we’re here for the duration.”

What a load of sh1te, this DA has zero intention of there being a retrial because he is offering for their sentence to be reduced from 20 odd years down to 6, like who wouldnt take that deal? Even if you were an innocent man convicted of murder you would still take that deal thinking all your birthdays and Christmasses have come at once. The deal is so good that the DA knows they will grab it with both hands so he gets to avoid a retrial. Its a quid pro quo between both parties.

The DA in his statement is basically admitting that because there is a back log of murder cases he wants to get this one off his books. The Corbett family will now take a legal case against the leniency of the plea deal, hopefully the DAs own words on his desperation to get this case off his books will be used against him in evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭timfinnegan

In a statement this evening, Tracey Corbett-Lynch and her husband David Lynch said that they welcomed the decision by Garry Frank, the District Attorney for Davidson County, to seek a retrial.

They said: "We look forward to a date being set for a retrial at the earliest opportunity.

Delighted to hear there will be a retrial. The pair of killers will be back in prison before too long. Hopefully, the presiding judge will increase their custodial sentences.

Looks like they have refused the plea deal and opted for a retrial, otherwise why would they court have granted bail? Pics online of Molly leaving jail now.
    If you look at the options, with a retrial they get out immediately and have at least a year at home to prepare their strategy. The father is getting on in years so it's probably the best option for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭General Toilet

Delighted to hear there will be a retrial. The pair of killers will be back in prison before too long. Hopefully, the presiding judge will increase their custodial sentences.
    Sadly this will not happen. They will take the deal for time served. The end.

Apparently there will be a retrial.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,854 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

forumdedum wrote: »
    Is that article real?

When they're released they'll make plenty of money selling their story to TV etc. Who says crime does not pay?

They were out on bail for the first trial so it was seen as that happened they be out now. They did that the last time so why would now be any different

Apparently there will be a retrial.

Great if true

Great if true

And if so, hope they'll will get another stiff sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

RTE reporting retrial too, I hope they're convicted of first degree murder.

Great if true

Yes independent stating the plea deal “collapsed” - it’s a full retrial

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What a load of sh1te, this DA has zero intention of there being a retrial because he is offering for their sentence to be reduced from 20 odd years down to 6, like who wouldnt take that deal? Even if you were an innocent man convicted of murder you would still take that deal thinking all your birthdays and Christmasses have come at once. The deal is so good that the DA knows they will grab it with both hands so he gets to avoid a retrial. Its a quid pro quo between both parties.

The DA in his statement is basically admitting that because there is a back log of murder cases he wants to get this one off his books. The Corbett family will now take a legal case against the leniency of the plea deal, hopefully the DAs own words on his desperation to get this case off his books will be used against him in evidence.

If they think they have a great defense and not seen as killers. If the "want to clear the books" was seen as a valid reason to sue someone then all DA's would be sued as up and down the country as that is the reason it is done. To get a quick conviction and to save money

And if so, they will get another stiff sentence.

Considering they have chosen a retrial over 2 more years in jail I wouldn't be too sure of that.

Yes independent stating the plea deal “collapsed” - it’s a full retrial

Great.

• Advertisement

And if so, hope they'll will get another stiff sentence.

They must think they have some great defense and with a new jury anything could be possible. Lets not count chickens before they are hatched. That first trial is gone. Have to prepare for the new one

I’m glad they didn’t get some minimum term plea deal but I’ve mixed feelings about a retrial- let’s hope all goes well and the DA achieves the same outcome again . Apparently late 2022 at earliest is when it’s due to commence

Considering they have chosen a retrial over 2 more years in jail I wouldn't be too sure of that.

There is a lot of misinformation being spewed by posters here.

How do you know they were offered a plea bargain? Where did the DA confirm that a plea bargain was offered?

There will be a retrial . This is factual, anything about a plea bargain is pure speculation on your part.

Stick to the facts.

A retrial is good outcome, the family are happy with this and have stated so publicly. The evidence is overwhelming and I've no doubt they will be convicted a second time by a jury of their peers.

I hope both killers get longer custodial sentences after the retrial.

There is a lot of misinformation being spewed by posters here.

How do you know they were offered a plea bargain? Where did the DA confirm that a plea bargain was offered?

There will be a retrial . This is factual, anything about a plea bargain is pure speculation on your part.

Stick to the facts.

A retrial is good outcome, the family are happy with this and have stated so publicly. The evidence is overwhelming and I've no doubt they will be convicted a second time by a jury of their peers.

I hope both killers get longer custodial sentences after the retrial.

A retrial is a good outcome as opposed to a plea deal which they were offered. These are the facts. Let's keep your emotions out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Will those poor children have to testify in a retrial?

To thine own self be true

A retrial is a good outcome as opposed to a plea deal which they were offered. These are the facts. Let's keep your emotions out of it.

Can you post a link that states a plea deal was offered by the DA Garry Frank?

I know that the DA was considering this option, but decided against it, perhaps because of public pressure.

I don't believe the Martens were offered a plea deal and can see no evidence to back this up.

Can you post a link or document that shows they turned down a plea deal that was offered to them?

I don't believe this to be the case. They would be mad to turn down a manslaughter plea deal, given the amount of evidence against them.

Can you post a link that states a plea deal was offered by the DA Garry Frank?

I know that the DA was considering this option, but decided against it, perhaps because of public pressure.

I don't believe the Martens were offered a plea deal and can see no evidence to back this up.

Can you post a link or document that shows they turned down a plea deal that was offered to them?

I don't believe this to be the case. They would be mad to turn down a manslaughter plea deal, given the amount of evidence against them.

It's been all over the papers and this thread the last 4 days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Will those poor children have to testify in a retrial?

I think they want to? Based on Sarah's social media pages anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

• Advertisement

Less than 90 minutes later, Molly Martens walked out of Davidson County Jail. Her father was released shortly after. Lawyers declined to comment on reports of a plea bargain negotiation under way by the Davidson County District Attorney and lawyers for the Martenses – such an arrangement could negate the need for a retrial, a prospect that the Corbett family oppose. But for the moment, Molly Martens and her father Tom are free, pending a retrial of their case.

I copied and pasted the relevant paragraph from the Irish Times. It does suggest that a plea bargain is being offered. I'd be amazed if the Martens turned it down and terribly disappointed in the DA if it were offered.

Advertisement