Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Fairly interesting that there is very little mention of Molly's mother, other than the fact she was there at the time. Nothing about how she did or did not hear the fight or what she may have seen.
    Any pictures / stories to show that she is supporting her husband and daughter?

Maybe she saw and heard 'nothing'

Too many stories to get right if she was a wirness

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

The whole making her neck seem like it had been grappled with and having to be told multiple times to stop by law enforcement says to me that their story is bogus,no doubt fabricated by the father as something plausible that would 'fly' with the police.

I had someone try to strangle me to the point where I passed out. It left no marks whatsoever, which is actually completely normal in many cases of attempted strangulation and one of the reasons why it is such a common tactic with domestic abusers. But I can tell you that I sure as hell touched my neck a lot afterward. You have someone squeeze your neck so hard that you feel your life start to leave you and are likely to touch your neck a lot too. Martens may well be lying and faking but the lack of bruise and the fact that she kept touching her neck proves precisely fuk all.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭gossipgirl10

Have been following the coverage of this too absolutely horrific the details that have come out so far and their story definitely doesn't add up. Whether there was some fight going on between them or not I don't think the extent of his injuries qualifies as self defence when neither Ms Martens or her father had any injuries themselves. And the fact that the father heard something from all the way down in the basement that made him go upstairs to check yet the wife knew nothing and the kids who were on the same floor slept through everything and had to be woken by the police. Would not be at all surprised if the kids had been given some of the same sleeping tablet that was found in Jason's blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

iguana wrote: »
    I had someone try to strangle me to the point where I passed out. It left no marks whatsoever, which is actually completely normal in many cases of attempted strangulation and one of the reasons why it is such a common tactic with domestic abusers. But I can tell you that I sure as hell touched my neck a lot afterward. You have someone squeeze your neck so hard that you feel your life start to leave you and are likely to touch your neck a lot too. Martens may well be lying and faking but the lack of bruise and the fact that she kept touching her neck proves precisely fuk all.

sploosh

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Odd they didn't find any finger prints on the Baseball Bat considering it was swung multiple times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The evidence of the blood spatter expert, is quite damning. Finger there is pointing more to the FIL.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/corbett-may-have-suffered-first-blow-from-bat-while-in-bed-expert-tells-murder-trial-35991403.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Still odd these two are being charged with second degree murder instead of a full murder charge ... premeditated or not it now seems he was struck the first blow while asleep in bed... I presume it still will be a life sentence if found guilty?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seems most plausible at this stage that she hit Jason first, potentially during a row, and he father then waded in with the baseball bat to cover up for what she's done, or because he delighted in the opportunity to "defend" his daughter against a son in law he hated.

seamus wrote: »
    Seems most plausible at this stage that she hit Jason first, potentially during a row, and he father then waded in with the baseball bat to cover up for what she's done, or because he delighted in the opportunity to "defend" his daughter against a son in law he hated.
    It doesn't even look like it was during a row, yes maybe they did row and he went to bed but going on the evidence it's now looking plausible he was struck the first blow while still in bed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

harr wrote: »
    Still odd these two are being charged with second degree murder instead of a full murder charge ... premeditated or not it now seems he was struck the first blow while asleep in bed... I presume it still will be a life sentence if found guilty?
    Between 5 and 40 years for second-degree murder in Virginia. Had a quick look at virg. laws and proving it as capital or first-degree murder looks a lot harder and more likely to fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Between 5 and 40 years for second-degree murder in Virginia. Had a quick look at virg. laws and proving it as capital or first-degree murder looks a lot harder and more likely to fail.

the trial is taking place in North Carolina is it not?

for North Carolina it is

Second Degree Murder (Inherently Dangerous Act or by unlawful distribution of certain illicit substances) 94 months to 393 months (depending on prior record level)
    Second Degree Murder 144 months to Life without Parole (depending on prior record level)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Can you tell if someone was awake or asleep when they died? Isn't there some specific testing of the adrenal gland which signifies if it was the person was in a highly aroused state when they died or if they were relaxed and placid.

anna080 wrote: »
    Can you tell if someone was awake or asleep when they died? Isn't there some specific testing of the adrenal gland which signifies if it was the person was in a highly aroused state when they died or if they were relaxed and placid.
    Not sure on that , the blood splatter expert yesterday recons the probability was that he was in bed when first blow was struck. Probably a lot more medical evidence to come which might support his theory..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

harr wrote: »
    Not sure on that , the blood splatter expert yesterday recons the probability was that he was in bed when first blow was struck. Probably a lot more medical evidence to come which might support his theory..

Got a link to where you read that part? Haven't seen that anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Got a link to where you read that part? Haven't seen that anywhere.

Jason Corbett may have sustained the first blow to his head while he was in or beside his bed in his North Carolina home, a court has heard.

A forensic scientist said blood spatter marks indicated retired FBI agent Thomas Michael Martens (67) was standing above Mr Corbett (39) when the Irish businessman's skull was struck with a metal baseball bat.

Dr Stuart James told a Davidson County murder trial he found blood spatters on the inside of the quilt on Mr Corbett's bed, in addition to blood saturation marks inside the mattress. He said they may well have been from the first blow struck.

The Florida-based expert examined the home where Mr Corbett suffered at least 12 heavy blows to his skull.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/corbett-may-have-suffered-first-blow-from-bat-while-in-bed-expert-tells-murder-trial-35991403.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

the trial is taking place in North Carolina is it not?

Good thing I'm not prosecuting...case would be thrown out already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

fussyonion wrote: »
    I'm just dumbfounded at the amount of people on here commenting on the accused's physical appearance; "I would" and "She's hot".

Trivialising such a horrible case where two kids lost their father..it just baffles me.

I doubt anyone would say the same about Joe O'Reilly ("Jaysus I know he killed his wife but I would").

Why is it somehow funny or ok to make comments like this towards a woman?

She is physically attractive. People saying looks don't matter, male or female, are deluded and lying to themselves. Having said that, I most certainly WOULDN'T ... crazy trumps looks as a turn off for me.

Plenty of women still writing to Joe and chasing after him. There was some violent criminal in the US who is now a model, https://www.google.ie/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/25/criminal-turned-model-jeremy-meeks-deported-uk/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

professore wrote: »
    She is physically attractive. People saying looks don't matter, male or female, are deluded and lying to themselves. Having said that, I most certainly WOULDN'T ... crazy trumps looks as a turn off for me.

Plenty of women still writing to Joe and chasing after him. There was some violent criminal in the US who is now a model, https://www.google.ie/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/25/criminal-turned-model-jeremy-meeks-deported-uk/amp/

I think its bad taste to be referring to her looks as something which should give her a pass for what she is accused of but at the end of the day, this is after hours and I don't think anyone is actually serious when they are suggesting it or that they'd go for her in spite of what she's accused of.

In saying that, I do agree that her looks and background are relevant. Id say white middle class attractive lady is far more likely to get the benefit of the doubt (and that's all it takes for an acquittal) than a working class, rough looking individual of any race. For one they can afford the best lawyers and I think people/jury are far more likely to fall for the butter wouldn't melt act when it comes from someone who is objectively attractive, particularly for something as emotive as domestic abuse (which seems to be the defense play to come). It wouldn't surprise me if the jury was selected on this basis from the defense perspective at least. Just an opinion.....

He had traces of her sleeping meds in his blood, no? Looks to me like she sedated him, dropped the paving slab on his head trying to kill him, failed, then got her dad to finish the job with the baseball bat.

Pure speculation of course.

He had traces of her sleeping meds in his blood, no? Looks to me like she sedated him, dropped the paving slab on his head trying to kill him, failed, then got her dad to finish the job with the baseball bat.

That's exactly the way I imagined it happening...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The whole thing is so bizarre. Especially if the first hit was while he was in bed. How could they possibly think that their story would be believed if the first hit was while he was in bed?
    Assume they just totally paniced and concocted the story about the strangulation and they were so paniced that they didn't realise how many holes there were in the story and how much evidence there was to go against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The evidence seems to be overwhelming. But a retired law man and his pretty blonde daughter will be difficult to convict for the killing of a foreigner.

The whole thing is so bizarre. Especially if the first hit was while he was in bed. How could they possibly think that their story would be believed if the first hit was while he was in bed?
    Assume they just totally paniced and concocted the story about the strangulation and they were so paniced that they didn't realise how many holes there were in the story and how much evidence there was to go against them.

They definitely panicked. With the blood everywhere the dad at least knew they were in huge trouble.

The defense case will make for very "interesting" reading....its pretty obvious that it will centre around accusations of abuse and fearing for their lives....very easy to sling dirt and create doubt when the person being accused is no longer there to defend the accusations...going to be very tough on the family, even more so than already is no doubt....even if he was known to have a temper and be a bit of a boll*x, and even if he was attacking her, surely excessive force is an issue.

If he was that abusive to her to the point where they were both in fear of their lives (as suggested today I think) then this was a gradual process, why did she not leave him??? Was there any reports of abuse to the police I wonder? He's ex FBI for the love of God, surely he could have intervened or used his obvious influence to sort him out. Its not like he was some kind of underworld, Tony Soprano type guy you'd be looking over your shoulder for the rest of your life if you left or felt you couldn't leave. Doesn't make much sense....but I have a bad feeling there'll be some twist in this and they'll get off on a technicality or something....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    I think its bad taste to be referring to her looks as something which should give her a pass for what she is accused of but at the end of the day, this is after hours and I don't think anyone is actually serious when they are suggesting it or that they'd go for her in spite of what she's accused of.

In saying that, I do agree that her looks and background are relevant. Id say white middle class attractive lady is far more likely to get the benefit of the doubt (and that's all it takes for an acquittal) than a working class, rough looking individual of any race. For one they can afford the best lawyers and I think people/jury are far more likely to fall for the butter wouldn't melt act when it comes from someone who is objectively attractive, particularly for something as emotive as domestic abuse (which seems to be the defense play to come). It wouldn't surprise me if the jury was selected on this basis from the defense perspective at least. Just an opinion.....

I dont think she should get a pass because of her looks but it might make a jury less likely to convict her.

I dont think she should get a pass because of her looks but it might make a jury less likely to convict her.

my point exactly....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    The defense case will make for very "interesting" reading....its pretty obvious that it will centre around accusations of abuse and fearing for their lives....very easy to sling dirt and create doubt when the person being accused is no longer there to defend the accusations...going to be very tough on the family, even more so than already is no doubt....even if he was known to have a temper and be a bit of a boll*x, and even if he was attacking her, surely excessive force is an issue.

If he was that abusive to her to the point where they were both in fear of their lives (as suggested today I think) then this was a gradual process, why did she not leave him??? Was there any reports of abuse to the police I wonder? He's ex FBI for the love of God, surely he could have intervened or used his obvious influence to sort him out. Its not like he was some kind of underworld, Tony Soprano type guy you'd be looking over your shoulder for the rest of your life if you left or felt you couldn't leave. Doesn't make much sense....but I have a bad feeling there'll be some twist in this and they'll get off on a technicality or something....
    He didn't need to do anything to get rid of Jason. Jason was making plans to move back to Ireland with the children. Perhaps Molly found out and wasn't happy about it......

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm surprised nothing if this nature has been brought up and IIRC today is the last day of the prosecution (and she is unlikely to testify)...
    https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/molly-just-flipped-and-completely-lost-control-at-her-wedding-jason-corbetts-sister-34345782.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Part of me wonders if something like that happened, with Molly initially trying to kill Jason on her own using the paving slab.

When he resisted and tried to fight back in self-defence, that's what papa Martens heard and made him come up the stairs.

He sees a scene that confirms all of his pre-conceived ill-feelings against Jason, and uses the chance to "defend" his daughter to unload those feelings.

Just a theory - but it could be how the defence's half-baked "self-defence" story came about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I vaguely remember reading that she had spoken to a family law type. If they had planned on killing him I'd say it would have been much cleaner. I think Jason was in bed asleep having taken a pill earlier. Molly found something, evidence he was planning moving back to Ireland without her or something that enraged her. She went outside/got the paving stone and attacked him with it as he lay in bed. He got out of bed, lots of screaming and shouting and that he could well have been squeezing her neck and threatening to kill her when the dad arrived with the Louisville slugger. Then they both beat him in a frenzy.

Advertisement