Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I did read them being following this from the very start.

4 days of coaching and threats can easily influence young children, plenty of documented cases involving children and satanic cults discovered by so called experts led children to make false claims of abuse ,

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭greyday

What young child uses the words verbally and physically?

Very few from my experience.

There’s evidence Molly secretly recording the victim and making efforts to obtain a gruff or angry response - this was at the height of their marriage troubles- the victim was at that stage planning to go back to Ireland with the kids- Molly knew the writing was on the wall that the marraige was over even though she may not have known about the detailed plans so she too was planning her own evidence for the inevitable divorce proceedings - of course there would have been angry scenes in front of the kids around this time - the main instigator being Molly attempting to get “evidence” for her own sob story

• Registered Users Posts: 39,981 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You were declaring this morning that Molly Martens was present for the interviews. But now you are saying you have in depth knowledge of them.

Illogical.

4 days of coaching and threats can easily influence young children, plenty of documented cases involving children and satanic cults discovered by so called experts led children to make false claims of abuse ,

Huh?

• Advertisement

Her son in law is dying in a pool of blood but they said, ah no let her sleep on she’s tired 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Where did I say she was present

Oh yeah i didn't say she was present

I believe that the social services who were interviewing them said she was trying to steer and influence the kids

She was steering the kids through the interview by Telepathy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

When I was about 6 or 7, my mother locked us out of the house, with the keys left on the hall table. The only way to get the keys was to insert me through a small open window which was left open. I didn't want to do it because the height looked so high. My mother said, if I did it, she would take me to Dunnes and I could have any Lego set I wanted. You name it, I could have it. So I agreed and got the keys and the next day we headed off to Dunnes. I came home with a small Lego Pirate raft.

For years later I wondered, having been promised ANY lego set, I came home with the second cheapest one. Not the Pirate Ship, or one of the Castles, or the Space Police Base. As an adult, I realised, mothers are experts in manipulating their kids.

It would not surprise me if, given a couple of days Molly Martens was able to get the kids to say anything.

So how did she steer the interview she wasn't present for?

• Advertisement

I know that. I was just saying, is it not a strange phrase for a child to use about an adult? "Daddy sometimes got very angry" - ok sure. "Daddy used to have tantrums" - doesn't sound like something a child would say.

As in they were coached? Certainly a possibility - she had many an hour for a number of years to get them to say pretty much anything

You did see the hidden recording of Molly’s didn’t you, where she essentially badgered him into an angry verbal response in the kitchen so she could capture it on video?

I haven't seen this video, could you provide a link please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Yes, but everyone has the odd angry outburst and now that they are older they no longer say this

So what does this say to you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

They don't seem to have used those terms. I think they are more a headline/journalist summary of what was said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭crusd

This thread has really descended to ludicrous levels.

The amount of people professing absolute certainty about what happened is bizarre

The kids are now older and no longer agree with what was said

You can't rely on what a 7 year old ways at the best of times

Certainly not when coached

"When asked about her parents fighting, she said: "My dad was always the one who started it. Say if the lights were on in the bathroom, he would get really angry with mom."

The young girl said he got angry "every day, or most likely twice a day"."

And no longers says this at a more reliable age

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭irishgeo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭greyday

The newspapers seem to be attributing those words to Jack.

Jack, who was then 10 years old, said he was “angry and upset” by the tragic events.

“My parents did not get along very well,” he said.

He added Ms Martens had told him that his aunt and uncle would try to take him and his sister away at their father’s memorial service in North Carolina.

“He [Mr Corbett] would physically and verbally hurt my mom,” Jack said.

I am aware of that

I was referring to the post quoted who questioned the words used. They don't seem to have used the words "tantrums"

Im trying to come into this with an open mind. I followed the trial back in 2017. The heavy drinking, wife beater picture shown to us by the defense is one thing, but the cynic in me would say it's also a solid, dare I say easy defense for the Martens.

However, from the evidence Ive read and heard, it really doesn't look good for the Martens. If it was pre-meditated they made a complete pigs ear of it.

ok even that sentence you quoted also doesn't sound like something a 7 year old would say. "My dad was always the one who started it". What 7 year old says "most likely"? Would they not say "he got mad a lot"?

I think we’d all get angry with Molly leaving the lights on 🤪

I can say from experience, some american's interpretations of "heavy drinking" is very different to what your average Irish person's is. I have tee total cousins in the US who would consider 2 beers a night after work binge drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭crusd

I started reading this thread to try and get a bit more information about this case as I did not have a huge mount of knowledge about if.

From what I have read here and elsewhere the story from the Martens does not add up at all.

However the absolute certainty expressed here is not supported by the known facts.

And yes, kids can be influenced to say things a certain way, but there is no evidence for this. There is also no evidence that having lived for a number of years back here with a family that demonised the Martens and lionised their father, their views and memories could have been distorted during the intervening years. I have nothing to say this is the case. Cannot be ruled out though.

Personally I would not put any import on their statements from 8 years ago. Can I declare with certainty that they were coached. No

Im not saying they definitely were coached. Im simply saying, the words used in the transcripts do not sound like things a 7 year old would say naturally. I have an open mind and am looking at all the evidence.

I know I’m probably getting defensive if I see criticism of Jason - he wasn’t a saint and who is but from what I’ve read about him and seeing in reports etc he was an ordinary decent dad doing an honest living and a loving father- and at one stage even a loving husband to Molly.

He wasn’t a “drunk” but he did get drunk on occasion but of course America views alcohol consumption a bit differently than we do in Ireland. I’d imagine he got very angry verbally with Molly on more than one occasion - maybe even regularly - but we also know Molly has a major history of mental issues and is also a proven liar and manipulator.

For me though, arguments, shouting etc are peripheral issues - yes some of this “evidence” might benefit the martens even though many of us here have made our mind up on this trash a long time ago- but there’s very little he said/she said arguments one can make on solid forensic evidence of the crime scene and the massive delay in contacting the emergency services - the rest of the discussion is just noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Expert witness at original trial opined that the crime scene was staged and in particular, the blood spatter evidence strongly suggests Jason was hit when he was down. At trial the prosecutors were of the opinion that Jason was 1st struck with the brick whilst he was in bed/sleeping. Some Jurors in the original trial shared that opinion.

Two jurors in North Carolina say they believe Irish father Jason Corbett was asleep in bed when he was first struck by his wife Molly Martens Corbett. Davidson County juror Miriam Figueroa told US TV network ABC she believes Martens Corbett (33) struck her husband first with the paving stone while he was sleeping.

CBS with some examples of the evidence.

They original prosecution team believed they could have gotten a murder 1 verdict. That they went for murder 2 was in an effort to reduce risk of Martens gaining acquittal. Procedural and legal missteps by the trial judge allowed that original conviction to be quashed.

Unfortunately now? Budgets and recent election cycle for Prosecutor in Davidson Co, also constrained any possibility of the Davidson Co prosecutor's seeking to recharge and Prosecution team accepting the plea deal could be played out as fiscal responsibility in time of economic uncertainty.

Justice via balancing the books and compromise, is usually going to piss everyone except the defendants off.

The evidence outlined in the CBS link above tells a story. The original prosecution team should have done better. As should the original Judge.

Advertisement