Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,504 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So murder in the 2nd or 3rd degree you reckon is their crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Musicrules

That's the problem. We will never know the full truth. We should be careful what we believe and that's from both sides. What I've heard up to the last few weeks would have me wanting to see her rot in jail for the rest of her life. But the story I've been reading has been from the Corbett side. The truth of how abusive the relationship was or not or what really was happening is in question. The kids are probably in the best position to tell the truth but they've been through enough to be putting them through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It would be quite easy for Molly to have invented some of the stories she told her friends. Given she has told many lies before I personally wouldn't take all the friends stories at face value at all. They may all be telling what happened with them but it is highly questionable where its only going on what molly told them

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yes and why should we believe the stories of the ex? Deranged is a strong word to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,694 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

It’s not doubt in my mind and hopefully not the judges mind.

I’ve never said Jason was a saint and certainly from some of the stories raised in the “evidence” he could have conducted himself better- but what was behind that who knows, except what we do know about Molly Martens.

Does it excuse it? Probably not but Jason was human afterall- who’s to say how any of us would feel married to that

Are Gruff words and actions the sign of an abusive relationship? Hmmm they can be- it depends on the couple - I know couples who love each other dearly would never dream of being with anyone else and are totally happy but I wouldn’t want to be married to them the way they behave sometimes - many couples sometimes behave as if they’d kill each other - not all couples would class that as an abusive relationship but many looking in would, and thankfully these same couples don’t act out their words by killing the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Witness statements her ex boyfriend and others have given statements about her

indeed may even equally a stupid conspiracy as what you hypothesised above? 😛

• I think many of us are in a lot of doubt here, and so we should be, given conflicting ideas and facts about how it all panned out. The end point should not have happened, I will say that over and over again, unless he had been trying to do similar to her around that moment. Most of us are inclined to believe in the idea of the scenario that one person (or side in a conflict) is the devil incarnate and the other is a saint. That keeps decision making simple and straightforward in our minds and we can get off the fence and take a side. It’s rarely that straightforward, and when it comes down to individuals we have never got to know, the arguments as they are put forward aren’t always accurate. Tbh the more I hear the more confused I get, though I haven’t followed it closely at all. I wouldn’t like to be on any jury in such a case as this.

There's a witness who overheard abuse, this witness was an acquaintance of both as far as I can tell. So I can't see a reason to lie. But we don't know. So trying to paint Mertans as evil, Corbett a saint, Corbett an abuser or anything at all is in doubt. It could be a case that Martens was evil but Corbett was also a piece of ****.

• Advertisement

As I said, we don't know. His abuse could have been far worse than you've seen with other couples. And maybe Martens isn't lying about some of the things he did. No excuse for murder but mitigation if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,987 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Unless she is a wizard she can't have made her husband scream down the phone that she was a "bitch" and was going to "pay".

Why would an alleged ex boyfriend from years ago give a witness statement?

Is this another "Facebook Fact"?

I would call his an actual witness to her psychotic behaviour,vs your false claims

• Registered Users Posts: 55,504 ✭✭✭✭walshb

People, two adults battered a sleeping, half sleeping or pretty much defenceless man to death.. all the rest is red herring scheming defence garbage… nobody here should give a fook about the dead man as a person (in the was he good, bad, ugly) sense. What they did to him was evil. He was just a man. Probably as average as most.

A false claim?

Like claiming he gave a witness statement?

Have to say I’m not confused because I don’t stray far from the brutal night in question- Jason’s killing shouldn’t have happened- I’ve heard nothing in this trial that would convince me otherwise.

I don’t believe Mollys life was in threat on the night in question - the forensic evidence all points to Jason in bed and likely somehow incapacitated either by drink or a drug or both. It never mattered to me if Jason was a saint or not and I never thought for one second that he was-I don’t believe he was an abusive husband either but I would say he was possibly sometimes gruff abrupt and even ruff- but a reason to kill him? Leave him maybe but definitely not kill him.

Molly is making out she stayed with Jason for the sake of the kids- she fcked up when she made that statement because of her past history claiming one of them was actually hers - she had an obsession with the kids that went way beyond a normal step mothers affection.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Where did I say witness statement.

Oh no not again you made it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Underground

This thread reminds me of an old Boards poster we don’t see anymore who went by the name of End of the Road. EOTR would jump on every thread to play devil’s advocate, obfuscate and generally just talk nonsense any chance they got.

I think Jason was no saint, far from it. MM though, wow. Less said, the better.

I am baffled at the capacity of a select few here who are willingly accepting any “evidence” coming from her side as fact, taken at face value. Absolutely bizarre and I can’t find any rationale as to why one would be so accepting of her version of events when she has proven herself to be, at best, an extremely unreliable narrator.

As I said at the start, some people just love to play devil’s advocate. That’s the only sense I can make of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭holliehobbie

What I find absolutely astonishing about this whole case is that we are privy to what two children said years ago in statements in another country. Can you imagine anything like that happening in Ireland? Where even children who murder aren’t named or identified by the courts.

It’s a fair point - I guess with Mollys past history of lying and also some extremely disturbing behaviour, and then coupled with the previous murder conviction, it’s easier to finger point at Molly.

However I’m afraid that I don’t subscribe to this “Molly as Victim” picture that’s now being painted- even leaving the brutality of the beating aside, why did she and her father wait to call for medical assistance? That in itself was unforgivable and to me, shows what a heartless killer they both are, selfish to the end, trying to protect their “good name” by planning their story.

Oh yeah but there are others who didn't. We know Molly has lied. She could have lied about Jason abusing her for various reasons. Maybe to try and get custody of the kids, maybe as an elaborate long term murder plan...

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

She can have deliberately provoked him in order to cause these situations.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

The ex boyfriend gave a statement possibly gave evidence in court

How the feck do you think people know about what he said

Terry Pratchet

thanks for posting that-

The only thing I can say on that “pathetic” statement is I hope the family realise that there are millions of people in Ireland and elsewhere who didn’t for a second question the death of Jason’s first wife- we didn’t need them to go through the trauma of having to write a public statement on this - we’re totally aware of what the b1ch Molly Martens is capable of and just how low she’ll stoop to save her skin.

If any of the family of Jason’s first wife are reading this I hope they get some comfort from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Tork

You'd wonder why she married him if she thought he had killed his first wife?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

See here, right here you show a total disconnect from what is the actual reality of being in a toxic relationship.

“Why didn’t you just leave him?” is actually no different to “well what do you expect to happen when you went out dressed like that?”

• Advertisement

Advertisement