Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Water John wrote: »
    The evidence today, that both were in proximity to Jason, while his head was near or on the floor when hit, indicated by blood spatter pattern, is pretty conclusive.
    Both were involved in the action. Also the brick was used, multiple times. He was hit a good few times, lying face down and later rolled onto his back.

Any amount of whataboutery, in defence, should not be able to cloud, today's evidence.
    Their claim that he was strangling her and the da hit him would possibly align somewhat against this evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Ben coley on twitter is in the court room and updating regularly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Auldloon wrote: »
    Ben coley on twitter is in the court room and updating regularly.

Great coverage from him...been watching his twitter all afternoon. Well worth following.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,317 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes, they the defence is taking the line that she had no bloodstains on her neck, because it was covered with his hands.
    It was a frenzied attack. At least 12 blows, all parts of the paving stone covered with blood and flesh matter. He's hit whilst his head is near or on the ground.
    A frenzied attack to the head, is highly indicative of personal hatred.
    Both present at the time of attack, both go down for the crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Strange the judge isn't allowing any discussion on his plans to move back to Ireland...surely that is something that would be important for jury to hear.
    Judge said it's not relevant...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

harr wrote: »
    Strange the judge isn't allowing any discussion on his plans to move back to Ireland...surely that is something that would be important for jury to hear.
    How would it relevant? I'm sure most of the plans and basis for any motive would be speculation.

harr wrote: »

Ben Coley on twitter emphasises that the Judge keeps saying not relevant 'at this time' when disallowing some statements/comments.

I presume the sister's evidence is being brought in to point out his loss of his first wife, and that he was not a 'wife beater'.
    Counter sympathy push to what the defence will inevitably use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

Water John wrote: »
    Yes, they the defence is taking the line that she had no bloodstains on her neck, because it was covered with his hands.
    It was a frenzied attack. At least 12 blows, all parts of the paving stone covered with blood and flesh matter. He's hit whilst his head is near or on the ground.
    A frenzied attack to the head, is highly indicative of personal hatred.
    Both present at the time of attack, both go down for the crime.

Yeah or she cleaned up before first responders arrived......
    Personal hatred or a bunny boiler methinks.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Prosecution has rested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭blackcard

I am trying to figure out whether my opinion would change if Molly amd her father were Irish and he was not.

One has to focus on analysing the facts, derived from the evidence only. The rest is just noise. Even if we all engage in it, to some degree or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭blackcard

That is why I will be waiting until all the evidence is given before I make up my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

blackcard wrote: »
    I am trying to figure out whether my opinion would change if Molly amd her father were Irish and he was not.
    I can totally understand that as I had the same feeling before the trial..feeling they were guilty but questioning was it only because Jason is Irish..
    But now following the trial so far I'm convinced they are guilty purely from whats being presented. Actually I feel Molly is a kind of monster who didn't want to lose her nice home, perks and Jasons kids.And was willing to do whatever it took.
    But I will be open to hear what the other side presents. I have no idea how they can defend but defence will be their job so who knows..

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭gossipgirl10

Auldloon wrote: »
    I vaguely remember reading that she had spoken to a family law type. If they had planned on killing him I'd say it would have been much cleaner. I think Jason was in bed asleep having taken a pill earlier. Molly found something, evidence he was planning moving back to Ireland without her or something that enraged her. She went outside/got the paving stone and attacked him with it as he lay in bed. He got out of bed, lots of screaming and shouting and that he could well have been squeezing her neck and threatening to kill her when the dad arrived with the Louisville slugger. Then they both beat him in a frenzy.

The only problem I have with this is that a commotion like that should have woken the children bit by all accounts they didn't wake until the police came to take them away.

I believe that he was drugged using the sleeping pills, Molly dealt the blows and killed him by herself and then panicked and called Daddy who is now covering for her.

There's no way even the heaviest sleepers could have slept through all the commotion if they were on the same floor. Between the actual attack itself, them on the phone to 911 shouting out the counts while apparently doing CPR, the emergency services arriving etc and the police had to go in and wake the kids to take them downstairs. Sounds very suspect... if they were planning something and didn't want the kids opinionnof them tainted maybe they gave them something to make sure they wouldn't wake up easily

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

There's no way even the heaviest sleepers could have slept through all the commotion if they were on the same floor. Between the actual attack itself, them on the phone to 911 shouting out the counts while apparently doing CPR, the emergency services arriving etc and the police had to go in and wake the kids to take them downstairs. Sounds very suspect... if they were planning something and didn't want the kids opinionnof them tainted maybe they gave them something to make sure they wouldn't wake up easily

I thought the same thing but then wondered if anybody would have noticed if the kids were exceptionally groggy.
    I think it is possible that both Molly and the Father did it. They may also even have timed the children on some sort of induced sleep, as they would know what time to attack, what time to ring the Police and how long they would take to arrive.
    I can not help feeling a little conspiracy theory minded when i think stuff like this, but then again, i have never planned a murder.

blackcard wrote: »

I don't think my opinion would change. Blatant overkill in this case regardless - prosecution has presented a good case. Defence would want to present something out of this world to change my mind. So many holes in their story from what we've seen so far.

I don't think my opinion would change. Blatant overkill in this case regardless - prosecution has presented a good case. Defence would want to present something out of this world to change my mind. So many holes in their story from what we've seen so far.

Benefit of reasonable doubt is all they need- The police forensics and collection methods will probably feature strongly in the defence case- clever try of the father to regain entry to the house to go to the toilet - he wasn't permitted to renter the crime scene but would have placed the investigation into serious doubt if he was-

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Kids do sleep through some ear-splitting noises. The fire alarm went off in our apartment once - not just the smoke alarm, which is bad enough, but the louder main building alarm. We had to shout at each other like you would if you were having a conversation with someone directly in front of a gig's speakers. Young fella didn't budge through the whole thing, even when I lifted him up in case it was a real fire and we had to leg it. Absolutely oblivious. So the kids not waking up or only waking up when picked up by stranger policemen would sound plausible to me.

Besides, in this case, it sounds like the first blow did a lot of damage, or even did the fatal damage here, then subsequent blows were to mask the original one. There may not even have been an argument or even noise of a struggle at all. And battering someone with those weapons with a couple of doors closed would not necessarily wake the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0804/895294-corbett/

Tomas Martens on the stand. Sounds very well rehearsed to me. Plenty of rhetoric such as "I feared for my life," to suggest he is using the language he knows the judge needs to hear to cast reasonable doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

How many blows of a baseball bat to the head of a man on the floor does it take before you no longer fear for your life?

Where is the paving stone in this yarn?
    I doubt they would have succeeded unless the got Jason down early, first blow or two. Jason looked a strong man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Tomas Martens on the stand. Sounds very well rehearsed to me. Plenty of rhetoric such as "I feared for my life," to suggest he is using the language he knows the judge needs to hear to cast reasonable doubt.

not one mention of the paving stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm curious as to how he managed to beat in the back of Corbett's head wile Corbett was reversing away from him, how hitting him in the hall stopped him from closing the bedroom door, and how Mr. Marten had no injuries despite being thrown across the room (one would expect a bruise).

Hope there is a good prosecuting lawyer. Go for the holes in the story. Then the story lacks credibility.
    If I was hit once and still standing I would rush the attacker. That would be the logical and natural reaction or else run away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Think he's already hung himself. Where does the blood on the mattress and duvet come into it if he wasn't in the bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

sKeith wrote: »
    not one mention of the paving stone.

Strange right enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement