Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Deposit

Options
  • 26-07-2017 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello guys,

I'm not sure am I on the right topic but I'm so desperate.
    I'm a student from korea and last month my father suddenly got sick so I had to visit korea.
    when I visit my parents I just wanted to move out so I let my housemate know about this(25th of jun)
    but he said "I don't give a ****. you live with me so you have to follow my rules. I'll give you back your deposit 25th of jul and you have to pay everything until then"
    but you know I couldn't wait cus I really had to see my father. so I went to korea and
    my housemate texted me on 1st of this month that I have to move out cus I didn't pay the rent. so I moved out on 3rd of july and he said he won't give me back my deposit.
    Am I the stupid one? please guys... it's 750 euro... it's a big money for student.
    Is there any organization or something I can get some help?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

What notice period had you agreed to when you moved into the house?

Did you pay everything between the 25th June - 25th of July?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 inchcore

Graham wrote: »
    What notice period had you agreed to when you moved into the house?

Did you pay everything between the 25th June - 25th of July?

He didn't mention about notice period.
    But now he says that he did and also he says that I don't have any legal rights as we don't have any contract.
    And no I didn't pay the rent. I understand it takes some time to get next tenant so I told him that I can help him to find another tenant and happy to pay for another week cus I thought 2weeks would be enough to find next tenant but he seemed he won't find till the end of july.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's a tough position to be in, I suspect your only come back sf the small claims court. It's not expensive to lodge a claim and you don't need a solicitor.

Take a look at the information here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/sharing_accommodation_with_your_landlord.html

and here:

https://www.threshold.ie/advice/seeking-private-rented-accommodation/sharing-with-your-landlordrenting-from-a-tenant/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 inchcore

Graham wrote: »
    It's a tough position to be in, I suspect your only come back sf the small claims court. It's not expensive to lodge a claim and you don't need a solicitor.

Take a look at the information here:

and here:

Thank you soooo much

Advertisement