Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemates subletting, problems getting my deposit

Options
  • 26-07-2017 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'll keep this brief(hopefully). Thanks in advance for any advice and taking time to read.

So living with a couple the last maybe 7/8 months. We were in previous accommodation but they had to move and asked if I wanted to go with them.

So I did as it was a no brainer location, accommodation wise at the time (or so I thought).

Things were reasonably okay, but I have started to notice he can be passive aggressive with things he does, snide comments etc.

Anyways i'm travelling the end of next month and they have know for some time now I would be going. I told them back in April/June I planned on August.

Then in June said it will be mid-end of August when I leave.

So my rent is paid until the end of July. To be fair and keep things legit I made sure to give my months notice which would bring me up until the 18th August.

When I messaged her with this information I was met with a sour aggressive tone, stating I wouldn't get my deposit back straight away. When I asked why I was told I would have to wait until they get someone else in. So a few messages went back and forth and I told her she wasn't entitled to do this, that I didn't break any lease agreements and gave a months notice.

Then I have him messaging me saying oh we have a viewing on such a date, we need to get someone in asap. I told him if he would give me notice let me know when someone is coming over so I could be there, make sure the room is clean etc. He told me not to worry about being there as he would be there.

I told him I would like to know if someone is in and out of my room etc. So a few messages went back and forth and Tuesday was agreed(yesterday) and I said I would clean/sort the room Monday, which I did.

So she hadn't been tuning in to any of the messages between him and I (it's a group chat on Watsapp) she was having a rough day as it was the bday of a loved one that had passed, which is understandable.

So basically she is freaking about my deposit and he is wanting to get a viewing done as soon as I give notice and saying they need someone asap, money etc, bla bla bla. So I suggested if they wanted someone to take over from the 1st and then they could start fresh with a new tenant and I could take their deposit.

I messaged him the next morning (all on group chat) asking what was happening with the room etc and just got what do you mean? So I explained again about my suggestion and what they wanted to do, regarding me staying on until the 18th etc. I asked if there was a reason for the reluctance as it seems to make everyone's life easier.

She then decides to chime in with "If you want to move out the 1st that's grand but you won't get your deposit back"

So I just said what do you mean I won't get my deposit back, I was trying to suggest something that would make both your lives easier, yeah cheers. (I was p****d off at this point)

To which I got a reply saying what's with the smartness, we're not kids. Then she's like ah here I can't be dealing with this i'm in work.

So I was at the house the other night and they both were there. We were civil and got on okay and she brought it up and tried to laugh it off, saying oh I was having such a bad day and I told him not to be riling you up, I knew you wouldn't back down and he's stubborn too. That's why I was like stop being so childish

Bear in mind she was the only one "riling me up" as she so puts it. She said on more than one occasion oh you won't get your money back.

So here's my situation, they have changed the date on the ad for the room to the 1st August and didn't let me know. They had a viewing last night. I messaged last night to see how it went and nothing.

I messaged them there saying can you please let me know what's happening as if you want someone to move in sooner I need to make arrangements, start moving my stuff etc. Still nothing.

I am due to pay the rest of the rent (2 and a half weeks for August) soon if we're sticking to my original date.

I have a really bad feeling about this and i'm afraid they're going to try to screw me over. Any advice please?

Comments

Danniboo wrote: »
    ........... Any advice please?

Can you lock your room?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

Augeo wrote: »
    Can you lock your room?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

How much was the deposit? As they are couple maybe they are planning on not renting the extra room out and splitting the rent between the two of them.

Do you have somewhere to stay for the interim period?
    Or is the deposit the main worry?

Augeo wrote: »
    Do you have somewhere to stay for the interim period?
    Or is the deposit the main worry?

I have somewhere to stay. But I had told them I would be lodging my rent tomorrow so need to know what's happening. I actually won't need to lodge it until Monday for it still to reach their account on time. I don't want to lodge and then they turn around and say oh we have someone new to move in.

My deposit is my main concern. I feel like they're going to try and screw me out of every penny. I am so surprised with her.

• Advertisement

Who are you paying the rent to?

My housemates

I have somewhere to stay. But I had told them I would be lodging my rent tomorrow so need to know what's happening. I actually won't need to lodge it until Monday for it still to reach their account on time. I don't want to lodge and then they turn around and say oh we have someone new to move in.

My deposit is my main concern. I feel like they're going to try and screw me out of every penny. I am so surprised with her.

Pay no more, you have a bad gut feeling so you need to trust that.

Well if its to the housemates and not the landlords account then I would hold off on paying them anything, especially if your housemate is not going to give you back your deposit and is being vague about getting another tenant. If she asks say you are using half of the deposit to cover those two weeks.

groovyg wrote: »
    Well if its to the housemates and not the landlords account then I would hold off on paying them anything, especially if your housemate is not going to give you back your deposit and is being vague about getting another tenant. If she asks say you are using half of the deposit to cover those two weeks.

So they've got someone to move in the start of September. So all their money worries this and asap that but they're happy to go 2 weeks without rent :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

How much it the deposit? Basically they have spent the deposit and are waiting for the next person to pay it. None of that is your problem let them find a way if it comes to it can they take it out of an ATM on a credit card.

It's not unusual to have to get your deposit back from the new person moving in when housesharing, done it myself a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

It's not unusual to have to get your deposit back from the new person moving in when housesharing, done it myself a few times.

She's not housesharing. The couple have licensed a room to her. If you're jointly liable for the whole rent then yes, what you're saying is the norm. But if you're renting a room as a licensee and you've given the required notice then no, you get it back as you leave.

So she said she'll discuss what I owe tonight. I told her 320e for rent and she tried to say 412e. Complete bs. Explained to her how I worked it out and she's oh right okay sorry not sure what I was doing. Then she quotes me bills that are due up until I leave. 30e for Sky. We just paid Sky 6 days ago so this is the month of August she's referring to. Bins 15e, again not due until August. Gas and Electricity 40e. We just paid this the end of June and there isn't even another bill in so not sure what the hell she is on about. I'm not going to just randomly pay bills that don't exist yet or have just been paid. She's off her tree.

Your deposit is legally the tenants property until there's due cause or reason to detain it. They've no right to have spent it. The fact "she doesn't have the money" this month is neither here nor there. I'm not a charity. They have two wages. They shouldn't have spent it. If they want to sublet they need to do things legit

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Comes down to; how much is this months rent, and how much is the deposit?

Rent is 319.

Deposit is 550

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Do you have details for the landlord? Would you get him involved? Do they have permission to sublet?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭hanna200

So she said she'll discuss what I owe tonight. I told her 320e for rent and she tried to say 412e. Complete bs. Explained to her how I worked it out and she's oh right okay sorry not sure what I was doing. Then she quotes me bills that are due up until I leave. 30e for Sky. We just paid Sky 6 days ago so this is the month of August she's referring to. Bins 15e, again not due until August. Gas and Electricity 40e. We just paid this the end of June and there isn't even another bill in so not sure what the hell she is on about. I'm not going to just randomly pay bills that don't exist yet or have just been paid. She's off her tree.

Hello Love,

a couple of points to note:

1)
    "I told him I would like to know if someone is in and out of my room etc." - You are making it difficult for them to sell to new lodger

2)
    Originally Posted by Danniboo View Post
    "........... Any advice please?"
    "Can you lock your room?"
    Augeo is posting a silly response here- because they also need to pay the rent, thus they are looking to reduce their losses by advertising it from the 1st, knowing that most likely a reasonable person needs weeks to move in.
    Usually people who are in hostels or in strange circumstances that are willing to move in on the spot.

3)
    about the bills:
    "So she said she'll discuss what I owe tonight. I told her 320e for rent and she tried to say 412e. Complete bs. Explained to her how I worked it out and she's oh right okay sorry not sure what I was doing. Then she quotes me bills that are due up until I leave. 30e for Sky. We just paid Sky 6 days ago so this is the month of August she's referring to. Bins 15e, again not due until August. Gas and Electricity 40e. We just paid this the end of June and there isn't even another bill in so not sure what the hell she is on about. I'm not going to just randomly pay bills that don't exist yet or have just been paid. She's off her tree."

If you fill in the bins with your rubbish until 18th then it does not matter if you are pre-paying for a waste removal now, or if you pay for it on the day of your departure. The same goes for TV, wi-fi, gas, esb etc.

Try to understand them and make a simple pen & paper exercise:

work out your rent due until the 18th
    work out your bills due until the 18th
    sum them up. you will end with a figure.

Tell your housemates that you are paying your rent and bills until the 18th as agreed and that on the 18th you want Full deposit back. As them for a receipt of the amount you handed to them. I assume you have a receipt for the deposit.

Say to them that until 18th your room is open and they are free to show it to anyone at anytime you are not there and when you are there you will be happy to show it too.

Act as civilized person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

OP,

Re-read your own post a few times and understand that you're not being particularly reasonable, you're really harassing them at work and with constant texts/calls and generally have worked yourself into a self righteous persecution complex.

In this case, its not them, its you.

Apologise to them for your behaviour, pay the bills, offer to help in absolutely anyway possible and generally stop acting the way you have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

hanna200 wrote: »
    Hello Love,

Could you try to sound a little more condescending?

The OP has asked for their deposit back, and the couple appear to have spent it, or are refusing to play ball despite the fact that the Op has given correct notice etc.

As for viewings etc. The OP is under no obligation to allow anyone into their room at any stage, doing so is being nice.

For the bills, pay for the month of August, the entire month, it's petty to try to pay for 18/31'st of the month.

hanna200 wrote: »
    Hello Love,

a couple of points to note:

1)
    "I told him I would like to know if someone is in and out of my room etc." - You are making it difficult for them to sell to new lodger

He literally wanted someone in a couple of days after I had given notice and had no intention of given me the chance to clean room etc, I had been staying in an aunts. I don't think a simple courtesty text to say if someone is coming in and out of your room where you're renting is being difficult. What if I was out of the shower and getting dressed or something. He has previously walked in to my room before.

2)
    Originally Posted by Danniboo View Post
    "........... Any advice please?"
    "Can you lock your room?"
    Augeo is posting a silly response here- because they also need to pay the rent, thus they are looking to reduce their losses by advertising it from the 1st, knowing that most likely a reasonable person needs weeks to move in.
    Usually people who are in hostels or in strange circumstances that are willing to move in on the spot.

I moved in on short notice to help them out as the previous tenant up and left with two days notice. I gave them the 1st as an option to get someone in fresh from the start of the month and because they were so keen to get someone and she was saying she doesn't have the money for my deposit this month.

3)
    about the bills:
    "So she said she'll discuss what I owe tonight. I told her 320e for rent and she tried to say 412e. Complete bs. Explained to her how I worked it out and she's oh right okay sorry not sure what I was doing. Then she quotes me bills that are due up until I leave. 30e for Sky. We just paid Sky 6 days ago so this is the month of August she's referring to. Bins 15e, again not due until August. Gas and Electricity 40e. We just paid this the end of June and there isn't even another bill in so not sure what the hell she is on about. I'm not going to just randomly pay bills that don't exist yet or have just been paid. She's off her tree."

If you fill in the bins with your rubbish until 18th then it does not matter if you are pre-paying for a waste removal now, or if you pay for it on the day of your departure. The same goes for TV, wi-fi, gas, esb etc.

Try to understand them and make a simple pen & paper exercise:

work out your rent due until the 18th
    work out your bills due until the 18th
    sum them up. you will end with a figure.

Tell your housemates that you are paying your rent and bills until the 18th as agreed and that on the 18th you want Full deposit back. As them for a receipt of the amount you handed to them. I assume you have a receipt for the deposit.

Say to them that until 18th your room is open and they are free to show it to anyone at anytime you are not there and when you are there you will be happy to show it too.

They won't always know if i'm there, well not according to his logic, when he previously walked in to my room. He barely knocked before when I was in there and just walked in before I even had a chance to answer the door. This is why I would prefer a simple text just to give me a heads up. I don't think it's much to ask.My personal space is not a free for all

Act as civilized person.

I've been more than civilised. They just think they can take liberties and cross boundaries.

Diemos wrote: »

The OP has asked for their deposit back, and the couple appear to have spent it, or are refusing to play ball despite the fact that the Op has given correct notice etc.

As for viewings etc. The OP is under no obligation to allow anyone into their room at any stage, doing so is being nice.

For the bills, pay for the month of August, the entire month, it's petty to try to pay for 18/31'st of the month.

I would agree but she's now saying well their will be bills due in September for August and you will have to pay for 18 days. Which is fair enough, but she just kind of seems to be plucking figures from the sky.

OP,

Re-read your own post a few times and understand that you're not being particularly reasonable, you're really harassing them at work and with constant texts/calls and generally have worked yourself into a self righteous persecution complex.

In this case, its not them, its you.

Apologise to them for your behaviour, pay the bills, offer to help in absolutely anyway possible and generally stop acting the way you have been.

I have helped by offering to move out 3 weeks earlier to alleviate their apparent stress and anxiety about money worries and moving someone in. I haven't been harrassing anyone. All morning she has been hounding me about bills that she has not worked out properly etc.

They advertised the room from the 1st and had a viewing and didn't give me an update, so I had to ask them. I want as little contact as possible. Every time I ask them what's happening I get a smart snide passive aggressive response and they turn something which should be very simple and straight forward in to a huge drama.

From the moment I told her I was moving out/gave notice she had her back up and started sending messages about not getting deposits etc, adding a load of exclamation marks to every sentence,calling me childish.

Ashbx wrote: »
    Do you have details for the landlord? Would you get him involved? Do they have permission to sublet?

I could probably get in contact with him if I needed to. As far as i'm aware they do.

groovyg wrote: »
    How much was the deposit? As they are couple maybe they are planning on not renting the extra room out and splitting the rent between the two of them.

Hi, my deposit is €550.

No they are definitely renting it, they want someone in asap.

They are charging 850e for the room inc bills.

I currently pay €550 exc bills

The couple are trying to look for a prospect lodgers and the OP is preventing them from doing so.

The OP is merely a guest in their home, she has no rights to prohibit them from trying to work things out by accommodating prospective viewers. It's her attitude and the fact that she is stubborn and nearly hostile towards them.

As for the bills, she will be using amenities until the 18th, therefore there are a couple of ways to work that out:

i.e. an estimate from the previous month
    i.e. take down a meter reading and do some pen & paper work.

Grow up.

Normally bills are not more than €50/ month in a shared places, this can go up if you have sky and broadband...

I've been more than civilised. They just think they can take liberties and cross boundaries.

it's their property and you are a lodger, you are barely a guest, try to be an adult and allow them to sell it. It will help you and them.

Try to feel if you are in their position and you need to fork €1,600/month plus bills and your lodger tells you to wait for her permission to show the room in your house. You'll be very stressed.

Stop this attitude, you really sound like self entitled goddess. Remember, they invited you to their home and you are a guest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Hi, my deposit is €550.

No they are definitely renting it, they want someone in asap.

They are charging 850e for the room inc bills.

I currently pay €550 exc bills

€300 a month for bills....jeez they are making themselves a small fortune there huh!

I would say to them that you are willing to pay bills and rent until 18 August and on that date you expect to get your deposit back (and I understand what you are saying about the room, but to keep things civil give them as much access to your room as you can). If they still refuse then, I would tell them that you will have to speak to the landlord directly about it, and see what they say then.

I sublet on behalf of my landlord. But my landlord is in charge of deposits etc. I just collect the rent and pay him the full amount myself. In this day and age, its very rare for landlords to allow subletting so id say its quite possible that the landlord doesn't know and the couple are chancing their arm. Honestly, it doesn't sound like they are scamming you or anything. I think they genuinely spent your money and are stuck, which is unfortunate but not your problem either!

Is the house on daft at the moment?

Advertisement