Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath heritage tour 30/7/2017 160km (Old An post one)

Options
  • 26-07-2017 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

I dont see a thread started for this years one....
    Anyone on here doing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Yep im doing the 160k, hopefully the forecasted rain holds off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Yep doing the 100k as I'm cycling up and back, so that will be my 160k+. Did it last year, not a bad route all things considered, they seem to have squeezed in every climb they could. Hope they found some gels & such to give out mid event, sandwiches don't help much.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Doing the 100k. Most iv done to date in a single ride is 60k since getting back on a bike in Oct after about 10 years off one. Really looking forward to it as it's my first sportive. I assume it's a single food stop for 100k. Any idea on the food at the stop and should I bring some in the jersey pockets as a back up

Doing the 100k. Most iv done to date in a single ride is 60k since getting back on a bike in Oct after about 10 years off one. Really looking forward to it as it's my first sportive. I assume it's a single food stop for 100k. Any idea on the food at the stop and should I bring some in the jersey pockets as a back up

Yes just the one food stop at about 60km if I remember correctly, there was a water stop someway before that as well. Plenty of food, you certainly wouldn't go hungry, no gels though, so you may want to bring a couple of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

One food stop on the 100km route, it was at the 60km mark last year so presumably the same this year.
    Sandwiches, tea/coffee/water, bananas and I think jellies. It wouldn't be any harm to stick a banana or bar in your pocket heading off. Better to have it than need it.

Everyone starts at the same time so it's fairly easy to coast along to the food stop in a group, then everyone stop for different lengths so the second half is normally a bit more "solo" or much smaller groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

retalivity wrote: »
    Yep im doing the 160k, hopefully the forecasted rain holds off

Bit early yet so fingers crossed it will blow over before Sunday...

brianomc wrote:
    Everyone starts at the same time so it's fairly easy to coast along to the food stop in a group, then everyone stop for different lengths so the second half is normally a bit more "solo" or much smaller groups.

brianomc wrote:
    One food stop on the 100km route, it was at the 60km mark last year so presumably the same this year. Sandwiches, tea/coffee/water, bananas and I think jellies. It wouldn't be any harm to stick a banana or bar in your pocket heading off. Better to have it than need it.

Somedude9 wrote:
    Yes just the one food stop at about 60km if I remember correctly, there was a water stop someway before that as well. Plenty of food, you certainly wouldn't go hungry, no gels though, so you may want to bring a couple of those.

brianomc wrote:

brianomc wrote:
    One food stop on the 100km route, it was at the 60km mark last year so presumably the same this year. Sandwiches, tea/coffee/water, bananas and I think jellies. It wouldn't be any harm to stick a banana or bar in your pocket heading off. Better to have it than need it.

Somedude9 wrote:

Thanks for the info. Will bring a protein bar or two so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Did it last year and the staff they had on Saturday at the marquee were a right load of jobsworths. Nobody around and you can't bring your bike in to sign on, then you can't lean your bike against the railings outside. A swift f**k off and buggered off.

Going to cycle down to Trim and then around my local roads but not paying anyone for the privilege

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

Doing 160k, It will be my longest cycle to date. Need to buy decent rain protection before Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Borderfox wrote: »
    Did it last year and the staff they had on Saturday at the marquee were a right load of jobsworths. Nobody around and you can't bring your bike in to sign on, then you can't lean your bike against the railings outside. A swift f**k off and buggered off.

Going to cycle down to Trim and then around my local roads but not paying anyone for the privilege

Don't know what sportive you were at but the VOLUNTEERS at the Meath Heritage Cycle are always very friendly and helpful. I also don't know any sportive where you can bring your bike into the sign on tent and there is plenty of bike racks to leave your bike outside. There are set times that you can sign-on on at all theses events.

Maybe what happened is that you turned up at the wrong time and were not allowed bring your bike into the Marquee and got the Hump and then wanted to leave your bike against a crowd control barrier and were asked by the staff to leave it on one of the many purpose built bike racks.

But hey to hell with people trying to run an event as smoothly as possible for all participants you couldn't' do it your way so the "JOSWORTHS can F**K OFF".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Did it last year and enjoyed it. I didn't have any issue with the volunteers, though I picked up my registration pack that morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have done this spin six or seven times.
    One of the best around and great value.
    Always a great buzz at the finish. Great M.C. and music and craic.
    The VOLUNTEERS do a great job, always in good form, despite provocation.
    They make sure everybody is directed to correct car park and to the sign on.
    They always make sure, that bikes are not allowed impede entrance to sign on etc. They make sure that selfish people are not allowed bring their bike into the sign on, thus causing inconvenience to others.
    Its also always well marshalled.

In common with most sportives, roads are not closed for this event, so anybody, who wishes to leech off the event and take advantage of marshals etc. is free to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Wobs wrote: »
    Don't know what sportive you were at but the VOLUNTEERS at the Meath Heritage Cycle are always very friendly and helpful. I also don't know any sportive where you can bring your bike into the sign on tent and there is plenty of bike racks to leave your bike outside. There are set times that you can sign-on on at all theses events.

Maybe what happened is that you turned up at the wrong time and were not allowed bring your bike into the Marquee and got the Hump and then wanted to leave your bike against a crowd control barrier and were asked by the staff to leave it on one of the many purpose built bike racks.

But hey to hell with people trying to run an event as smoothly as possible for all participants you couldn't' do it your way so the "JOSWORTHS can F**K OFF".

Went up on Saturday at the specified time, no people other than those registering people in the marquee. Very bad attitude on the lady at the door of the marquee, then placed bike leaning on barrier going around marquee as there were no bike racks in place. Security person came over and forcefully told me to remove both bikes. I have no problem leaving bikes outside but there is a nice way to communicate and that was not used.

Went around on the Sunday and everybody was very nice so just an isolated incident

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yup signed up for this, doing the 160k. Debating whether to cycle over and back as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Eamonnator wrote: »

In common with most sportives, roads are not closed for this event, so anybody, who wishes to leech off the event and take advantage of marshals etc. is free to do so.
    So, somebody in Meath out on their bike can't use the roads while this event is happening?

I'd agree if the event was on closed roads and somebody managed to sneak their way in, or indeed if someone took food at a foodstop without paying the entrance fee.

Ultimately though, these are public roads. Anybody can use them, at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mmrs

Hi,

I have an entry for the 100k spin going to whoever would like it, no charge. I can't make it owing to a recent injury. Was really looking forward to this one!

PM me if you want it and are sure you can use it,
    Paul.

Ticket is now gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Weather not looking promising so the question is how long do I want to get wet for....160 or 100....
    Rule 5 is screaming at me...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

At 115k in when that deluge of biblical proportions hit, after being on my own in the wind since the food stop, i thought 'why do i do this to myself?'...

I guess the satisfaction of finishing and the dirty supermacs im now having make it all worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Did the 100. Very well marshalled, nice pasta and lemon cake and carrot cake at the end. Got drowned about 10 km from the end but for most of it the weather held and the sun was shining again for the last few km. Bit of a breeze in places but that can't be helped. Managed to get an XS Jersey for the daughter too so can't complain about too much this year

Got in a breakaway with some quick lads and averaged over 30kmph till the food stop at 60k although I was mostly leaching. Weather was cracking until we left the food stop and then the heavens opened. After that they dropped me and the last 20k was hard. First time doing 100k and loved every minute.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There are no breakaways in sportives...

I simply meant that we pushed off from the very front. No ill intent or ego boosting meant ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Was a well organised event. Weather much better than expected. Spent a fair bit of it solo but did get into decent group for the 20k main road section. Actually enjoyed the climbs and there were a few nice descents. Lost the will to live a bit from the food stop to mullagh then got caught by John from racing 905 - Cheers for the company, we picked up the pace on the run home. Happy enough with overall average of 28.4
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1108789177

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Weepsie wrote: »
    There are no breakaways in sportives...

You weren't there, man. You don't know what went down 💪

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

Really enjoyed it. Well organised and marshaled event. Rain stayed out so that was a bonus.

Nice, fun, rolling route ( did the 100k as I cycled up & back ) with some tough hills. Well marshalled, with Garda at intersections too. A well run & organised event, thanks to all involved.

Arrived home drenched ( ran into a monsoon thunderstorm on the way home, but I was plenty wet before that, some of them showers on the route were biblical ) & wrecked after 170k. Pleased with show, came in top ten timewise on Strava, probably thanks to the two horses dragging me along for the last 15k or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭jerryg

I did the 160 km yesterday, a good day apart from the torrential showers and my rookie mistake of not eating and drinking enough .I bonked 10km from home but got in in a reasonable time for an auld lad.
    Good Marshalling and food, I found it more difficult than last year.

Advertisement