Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCI-e cable question

Options
  • 26-07-2017 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

A computer at work was having graphics issues, screen goes all higgledy piggledy with random symbols. It's using onboard graphics so I brought in an old graphics card from home to see if that would fix the issue.

The motherboard is a ASRock H61 Pro BTC, and the graphics card is a Gainward GTX460 GS. The problem became the graphics cards needs the additional power from the two PCI-e plugs on the top of the card. I order two online these ones but when I went to plug them in one of the pins is slightly different and I can't plug them in. The centre pin on the bottom row is square and on the card it's the other shape.

My question is, if I just jam the connectors in will it work? Does it make a difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

They should be the same connector. Are you sure it's the right way around?

They're designed to fit so I wouldn't force it; if one of the parts is as different shape, it could be carrying current it's not supposed to, and might well damage the card.

Then again, PCI-E is PCI-E. Can you get a picture of the connector at the end? (The one on the cable)
    It also would be good to know what model of PSU you have. The 460 is a somewhat power hungry card, and you'd want to be sure the PSU can power it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I had to highlight the pins because the white just got overblown. All the pins are right except that middle one.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/Turk/pinproblem_zpsp5fzgjpb.jpg
    Photobucket won't let me just link to the pic anymore, bastards. I have to take the "s" out of the https after the page loads with an error to get it to show on my own computer.

The PSU is a "value series" K-500A PFC 500W, should be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The PSU will power the card to the desktop but under any kind of load whatsoever it is likely dangerous, sounds like a generic cheap supply to me, the wattage is pretty much irrevelant in these cases. Often, they can't sustain more than 200-300w load without popping depending on how bad they really are.

A 2nd hand HD5450 can be gotten for €15 on adverts, or a GT710, either should do the trick and uses barely any power. The GTX460 is a juice sucker, will be much louder and is somewhat dangerous with that PSU.

Can't see that picture though, but all 6 pin pci-e connectors should be compatiable and universally identical.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If you copy and paste this link to a new tab, it should show:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/Turk/media/bWVkaWFJZDoyMDUyOTMxOTE=/?ref=

This avoids the passing of an HTTP referrer header, which is what Photobucket are using to determine third party requests.

If you still see the blocked picture, try a ctrl+F5 refresh to achieve the same thing.

But his lower middle pin is square, and without the truncated corners the card expects.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There's a passive Geforce 610 in the computer I'm using now. I might just swap them, this PSU has the correct plugs too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement