Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermomix

Options
  • 26-07-2017 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

There is an old thread on this and didn't want to hijack an old one.

Anyway a friend of mine recently started talking about getting a thermomix demonstation and buying one. While they sound brilliant they are €1200....does anyone here have one? Is it worth that huge amount for just a family kitchen?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

https://youtu.be/eWOIA1KwoEE

I hadn’t heard of it until you started this thread but I watched the link above. To be honest it looks like a lot of trouble That a weighing scales and a pot Would solve for one hundreth the price. I use an instant pot pressure cooker myself for a lot of batch cooking and I find that pretty good and they cost about €150. The price looks to be a deal breaker really. I really couldn’t imagine spending €1200 on anything other than a really good oven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Or a Big Green Egg/Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭cbmonstra

My OH's parents have one.

It is kind of cool, great for making things like soups and sauces. We made a lovely pesto with it for example.

It's not like you just throw all the ingredients in and out comes your meal. You have to add your ingredient, process, then add another ingredient, process etc., there's a bit of stopping and starting.

It does come with attachments for steaming fish, chicken and veg. You also get the recipe booklet with you can load onto the Thermomix itself, so you can select the recipe you want, hit a button and it goes through each step of the recipe, telling you what to add when, and processing as it goes.

Like I said earlier, it is cool, but for me, it kind of takes the joy out of cooking. I enjoy chopping my ingredients and stirring my sauces. I think if you are a busy person, who wants to get other stuff done while it's cooking your dinner then it could be for you.

A good food processor and a slow cooker/pressure cooker do everything it does though, in my opinion. I guess it would save space in your kitchen by eliminating those items.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That wouldn't interest me at all, even if it was a lot cheaper. I can't believe how expensive it is :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

The price is unreal but my friend kept bigging it up so I just need to realise it is a lot of money which would indeed take the joy out of cooking which I enjoy (especially baking) when the kids leave me in peace long enough to crack an egg.

Thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

If you hanker after something like that, Lidl sell their knock-off for a fraction of the price twice a year

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-3069830/Can-Lidl-s-179-Master-Cuisine-925-TM5-Thermomix-can.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

A friend of mine has one and she absolutely adores it. It has changed her life. She's Australian and some of her friends there use theirs daily and swear by it.
    The one thing they all have in common is that they hate cooking.
    I think if you're methodical and not into cooking, but want to save money on takeaways while still experimenting with new recipes (that, crucially, are pretty much failsafe) it could be a great addition to your kitchen.
    For me personally, it'd be a waste of money because it'd end up gathering dust next to the ice cream maker etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

That’s the impression I got from Reading. I think if you’re a busy person and interested in cooking food but maybe not so good at cooking, then it’s probably a godsend.

The one thing that I find odd is how they sell it. If you look at the website and click the buy button, they don’t actually allow you to buy There and then. It looks like you have to be called back and arrange a demo and then maybe you can buy. I guess they want to use you to demo the machine to your friends and create more interest. Personally I rather evangelise a machine That I owned and used every day. That being said, I enjoy cooking far too much to leave it all to a machine, There were times I still dream of having a Star Trek replicator!

Advertisement