Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Vehicle Hire queries **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Looks like you just want to rubbish anybody who doesn't agree with your opinion. Blinkered, much?

I'm not rubbishing anyone.

A typical boardsie reply is someone googling the constitution and then smugly posting in an effort to look smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    I'm not rubbishing anyone.

A typical boardsie reply is someone googling the constitution and then smugly posting in an effort to look smart.

Who said anything about Googling the constitution and smugly posting anything? It's common knowledge that the Irish constitution ensures the equality of all citizens. Are you having a bad day?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Folks, renting a car in Northern Italy next week for a week through Hertz from Bergamo airport outside Milan. What do I need to bring with me from Ireland to collect the car? Its it just my Irish drivers licence??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Glebee wrote: »
    Folks, renting a car in Northern Italy next week for a week through Hertz from Bergamo airport outside Milan. What do I need to bring with me from Ireland to collect the car? Its it just my Irish drivers licence??
    Irish license, passport and a printed copy of the booking usually. Oh and at least one credit card in your own name.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,161 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Italian drivers are nuts, don't be worried if someone comes around the corner on your side of the road it's normal just get out of the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Glebee wrote: »

If renting from BGY most car hire depots are 3km remote from the airport. If your is, you will be transported from the airport there minibus

before you set off , save the car hire depot in your sat nav, at the end of your stay navigate to this saved destination (not the airport terminal)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

k123456 wrote: »
    If renting from BGY most car hire depots are 3km remote from the airport. If your is, you will be transported from the airport there minibus

before you set off , save the car hire depot in your sat nav, at the end of your stay navigate to this saved destination (not the airport terminal)

Nope, they have a new area right at the terminal now. Come out of departures, turn right and up the slope. All the main companies are there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭aabarnes1

i have rented a car in USA in June and wondering if i should purchase a policy from https://www.carhireexcess.ie/ or equivalent. Here is what the wording says on my car booking:

What is included
    Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)
    Third-Party Liability (TPL)
    Theft Protection (TP)
    Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI)
    Uninsured Motorist Protection (UMP)
    Homeland Security Charge
    Local Taxes
    Premium Location Surcharge
    Unlimited kilometres.
    Up to 3 Additional Drivers aged 25 or over included.

Deposit / Excess Amounts
    The car hire company will require a deposit amount of US$ 0.00 including tax at pick-up. The deposit will be returned after the rental, as long as all conditions have been met.

The car has a damage excess of US$ 0.00 including tax.

The car has a theft excess of US$ 0.00 including tax.

There is no excess for the coverage provided by the car hire company?s CDW policy.

Is there much benefit in getting an extra excess policy seeing as it says the excess is ?0. Also it says the deposit is ?0 which I'm not sure is correct? I thought they would take some kind of security deposit when you present your credit card?

I'd check this out mate, can't see all those values being at 0. Every rental company on the planet takes some form of a deposit/retainer from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

Has anyone hired a car in Rodez airport. We can collect in the airport but the car companys close at lunchtinme on a Saturday when we are going home and may need to drop it in Rodez itself. Is the airport far from the town and has anyone tips about hiring in rodez France.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Has anyone hired a car in Rodez airport. We can collect in the airport but the car companys close at lunchtinme on a Saturday when we are going home and may need to drop it in Rodez itself. Is the airport far from the town and has anyone tips about hiring in rodez France.

Seems strange that the car hire co would close at lunchtime sat....ring the Rodez car hire co , directly at the airport. I would guess the car hire cos will be open if planes are landing / taking off

This is near Rodez
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=viaduc+de+millau&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjUyJvCwp3UAhVVOMAKHRaeC9UQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=638

I hired there a few years ago, and I think dropped back later in the day sat

Be very careful with speed limits in France, police will fine you if you are very slightly over the limit

I think the Onus is on the driver to carry a breathalyser in the car, if you dont have one, possible fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

I'm hiring a car in Italy in a few weeks and thinking of getting blue insurance car hire excess insurance.
    I know lots of people who have it but none who have claimed in it.
    Has anyone ever claimed from them after damaging a hire car?

What is the process? And more importantly, what hoops do they require you to jump through to claim?
    thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 maryown

Hi All,

I'm travelling to Mallorca between 4-11 Sept.
    I usually pay around 100-120 euro for car hire with CICAR.
    Now they ask for 300 euro for cheapest car.
    Would you recommend any other good reliable company which doesn't charge deposit and doesn't require card details?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eemsters

Hi
    Travelling to France in a couple of weeks. I don't have a credit card just debit card.....is it at all possible to rent a car without a credit card.,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Some companies do, some don't.
    They usually take a big deposit off the card.
    Check the websites of the major rental companies and see which do and what the terms are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

As per The Irish Times:
    There's a company in the UK that can arrange car hire on Visa Debit cards. The numbers must be embossed and you'll need two forms of identification. You can contact www.indigocarhire.co.uk and on (0044) 113 2899279. It is better to call them. They cannot take bookings online for debit card car hire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

We have used Europcar in Ireland and Avis in UK both with Debit Card.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Mr.S wrote: »
    Most will as long as it's Visa or Mastercard. They'll put a large holding charge on your card (they money won't be taken, but it will 'put aside') so make sure you have a large balance.

Whether they withdraw the money or do a 'put aside' with a debit card account, it amounts to the same thing - you need to cover the car rental company's security with cash which will be out of reach while you're on your holiday. Unlike when you book using a credit card where they simply ring-fence part of your credit limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

We used a Visa Debit card to rent a car with Enterprise and they only wanted the larger deposit if we did not take out the fully comp insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭rob w

Hi,

A question re car hire excess reimbursement insurance. Maybe someone has some experience with claiming for the reimbursement on it (through AXA) can answer?

Does anyone know if this covers the loss of the excess through damage to the car which was caused by yourself i.e reversing into something rather than a collision with a third party? The policy wording is always a a bit tricky on insurance policies but as far as I can see it covers any damage as long as the car is being used in an appropriate manner, as laid out in t&c`s!!

Has anyone on here ever dinged a rental car themselves and then claimed the excess back through the policy?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭dennyk

They should cover it as long as it happened on a public road, the damage wasn't caused by you doing something criminal (e.g. DUI, deliberately crashing into something, street racing, etc.), and you weren't violating the terms of the rental agreement (e.g. letting an unauthorized driver drive the car, crossing a country border you were not permitted to cross, driving off road, driving at a motor racing event or "track day", etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭rob w

dennyk wrote: »
    They should cover it as long as it happened on a public road, the damage wasn't caused by you doing something criminal (e.g. DUI, deliberately crashing into something, street racing, etc.), and you weren't violating the terms of the rental agreement (e.g. letting an unauthorized driver drive the car, crossing a country border you were not permitted to cross, driving off road, driving at a motor racing event or "track day", etc.).

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, happened on a public road and within all those conditions! I thought that would be the case alright, just wanted to hear it from others with a similar experience! Now its just the hassle of going through the motions of claiming it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭chicorytip

K.Flyer wrote:
    We used a Visa Debit card to rent a car with Enterprise and they only wanted the larger deposit if we did not take out the fully comp insurance.

I wonder why they (Enterprise) no longer accept Visa Debit as a form of payment for those wishing to rent vehicles here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭scwazrh

If a car hire company states "our prices include -no excess insurance included"
    Does the mean that no deposit is required to be blocked against credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I've never heard of a car hire company offering excess insurance.
    Are you sure that you arent looking at a comparison site, who offer excess insurance as part of some of their rates (like autoeurope)?

Normally excess insurance requires that you pay the deposit, and the insurance only kicks in if you cause damage which the rental company then bills you for, to a max amount of the excess, and then you claim the excess back off the insurance later.

Super cover is what you need to pay no deposit and its normlly about 20euro per day, sometimes with a max of 150 to 200 (as the rental companies have copped on that for longer rentals the super cover was so expensive that only a fool would go for it)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭dodzy

scwazrh wrote: »

Many rentals in Spain hire cars at an 'all inclusive' rate; basically you are not liable in the event of incident. I usually pay cash at time of hire. But obviously they incorporate this cover into the price. What were you quoted per day?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, what's the company? Some people here may be familiar with their terms and conditions.

It's not clear from the piece you quoted if excess insurance is or is not included.

If you are renting with a credit card, the amount they withhold is invisible to you unless you are close to your credit limit, it will not show up as a transaction. They simply ring-fence part of your credit limit to protect themselves in case you damage the car, same as happens when you check into a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭dodzy

WhT was the quote? For what vehicle and how long. That'll help answering your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Its autoreisen.com I emailed the hire company and they confirmed that no deposit is required .16days in july from tenerife airport for a seat ibiza is €221 so seems reasonable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Its autoreisen.com I emailed the hire company and they confirmed that no deposit is required .16days in july from tenerife airport for a seat ibiza is €221 so seems reasonable enough.

I used autoreisen recently and I can't recommend them highly enough for anyone travelling to the Canary Islands. I got a compact car for €57 for a week. Their prices include full insurance, additional driver and booster seats if you need them. They don't take any credit card details when you book but they did ask for one on arrival. I paid for the rental on arrival and there was no hold on my card. I think they will rent without a credit card once you leave a cash deposit. They are a no frills but no hidden charges kind of company.

Edited to add: take a drive up to masca, fun road and great views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Has anybody got experience of Europcar in Nice Airport please?, I have a rental car reserved with Alamo but have now got a very good price with Europcar. The research seems to suggest though that they have very long queues and the cars are a bit of a trek away from the airport. Need to make things as painless as possible with the family of 5 travelling!

Advertisement