Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Vehicle Hire queries **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

That sucks. I almost got stuck in Dublin luckily found my cc but sixty at let you take the car on debit you just have to pay to upgrade to the zero excess. You would have thought one of them would offer similar wherever you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

grimeire wrote: »
    i think its far more likely that the banks are a lot happier to cover the credit cards as they get to charge high interest rates on the loans compared to just the transaction fee they receive with debit cards.

why protect something you are only making 50 cent to a €1 from??

No - Credit cards require much more stringent checks than debit cards. Almost anyone can get a bank account/ debit card, but credit cards are more difficult.

You are taking control of a 10k+ piece of equipment after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭grimeire

that may have been the case with bank account years ago but i want to create a bank account with another bank recently and it wasn't an easy task.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

that may have been the case with bank account years ago but i want to create a bank account with another bank recently and it wasn't an easy task.

yep - but a credit card is still harder.

Look - there is no conspiracy here, credit cards give companies more security (and for various other reasons, not just credit checking). I'm sorry to say it, but you messed up and it cost you 70 quid - be grateful it wasn't a 1 week rental!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭dennyk

km991148 wrote: »
    No - Credit cards require much more stringent checks than debit cards. Almost anyone can get a bank account/ debit card, but credit cards are more difficult.

You are taking control of a 10k+ piece of equipment after all!

In this case, it's more that the car hire place will be able to charge any damages to the car to the customer's credit card without an issue, even if they are significant, and then payment becomes an issue between the credit card issuer and the customer. However, with a debit card, if the customer's bank account is empty the car hire company won't be able to collect the money owed. That's why the few companies that do accept debit cards generally require a very large hold or even a deposit when using one, so they can ensure that there is a decent amount of money available to them in the event the customer damages the car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I understand the reasoning behind wanting credit cards for car hire, but surely this doesn't justify the company taking money from an account they knew was not going to be able to be used, deny the already paid for services and then not provide a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

spurious wrote: »
    I understand the reasoning behind wanting credit cards for car hire, but surely this doesn't justify the company taking money from an account they knew was not going to be able to be used, deny the already paid for services and then not provide a refund?

OP used a broker. They were not to know that when OP turned up to the hire company desk that they couldn't provide a credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

i forgot my credit card a few months back in gatwick with hertz. the girl tried the visa debit card said its appears valid and the computer accepted it. i was expecting her to say sorry we dont accept debit cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭grimeire

Caranica wrote: »
    OP used a broker. They were not to know that when OP turned up to the hire company desk that they couldn't provide a credit card.

yes but the broker knows the car company doesnt accept a debit card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

I have a Credit Card and only use it for things that require a hold on funds, e.g. Car Rental.

If you pay your bill on time it's not an issue and you have better protection than with a Debit Card.

Trying to find companies that take Debit card is tough and you are limiting the options available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

yes but the broker knows the car company doesnt accept a debit card

...and told you so in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

...and told you so in advance.

There is a responsibility for for companies to have clear and transparent pricing. This comp doesn't even show you a final total. They just debit the money from you card then send you all the terrible details. Include being charged 28 euro for their staff to fill the car before you drive it away. Plus they pre charge you for petrol at a higher rate and encourage you to leave the car back empty. They are so dodgy!

calfmuscle wrote: »
    There is a responsibility for for companies to have clear and transparent pricing. This comp doesn't even show you a final total. They just debit the money from you card then send you all the terrible details. Include being charged 28 euro for their staff to fill the car before you drive it away. Plus they pre charge you for petrol at a higher rate and encourage you to leave the car back empty. They are so dodgy!

No, it's pretty clear in the Terms and Conditions when booking with all of the brokers and companies, you just need to read them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

calfmuscle wrote: »

Which company? Hertz? I've never found them other than transparent.

There are loads of crappy car hire companies. That's why you need to read T&Cs. Full to full/empty to empty. Pick up at airport or off site. Etc. etc. It's a minefield and a PITA to read all the conditions but you can't blame anyone else if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Handy site for car rental comparisons

https://www.carflexi.com

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Hello all,

Does anyone know any car hire companies in France that let you hire without credit card (as I dont have one)?

Its a real nuisance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    Hello all,

Does anyone know any car hire companies in France that let you hire without credit card (as I dont have one)?

Its a real nuisance

Try doing a search on this forum, it's a fairly regular query and I'm pretty sure there's recent answers

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Hi there,

Trying to source a car rental but all companies require credit card and i don't have one.

Anyone know of a firm who accepts debit cards?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

Looking to hire a car when I go to portugal. Do the hire companies only offer third party? is there anywhere that offer fully comp?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Whatever you do, don't use Goldcar.

Look into excess insurance and have it before you go. That works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I recently used Guerin and had no complaints. I got given a brand new car with only 5kms on it. I used https://www.carhireexcess.ie/ to cover the excess which was a lot cheaper than going with any of the own car hire companies excess cover

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭CDBWhoop

fletch wrote: »
    I recently used Guerin and had no complaints. I got given a brand new car with only 5kms on it. I used https://www.carhireexcess.ie/ to cover the excess which was a lot cheaper than going with any of the own car hire companies excess cover

Seen Guerin mentioned a fair bit, decent prices and they seem to score well in user satisfaction surveys and the like. Did you pick up from Faro airport by any chance? Just wondering if there is an office in the terminal?

CDBWhoop wrote: »
    Seen Guerin mentioned a fair bit, decent prices and they seem to score well in user satisfaction surveys and the like. Did you pick up from Faro airport by any chance? Just wondering if there is an office in the terminal?

https://www.guerin.pt/en/estacoes/faro-airport/

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭CDBWhoop

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

Going to Fuerteventura in a few weeks and I am thinking of hiring a car. I have never hired a car before and I am looking for some tips on what to look for re Insurance and fuel etc. Any tips would be a help

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Fuel go for pick up full return full.
    Get a car hire excess policy before you go and don't buy any extra insurance at the desk.
    Carefully check that any scrapes/marks on the car are listed on the form when you pick up the car. They will be ticked on a diagram of a car on the form.
    When you return the car make sure a representative of the company checks the condition of the car before you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    Hi there,

Trying to source a car rental but all companies require credit card and i don't have one.

Anyone know of a firm who accepts debit cards?

Thanks

OK Car Hire do, but charge a supplement of €15 per day with no credit card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

Thanks for the reply elperello.
    Will I need fully comp insurance?

Advertisement