Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Vehicle Hire queries **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭somahoney74

Could anyone tell me any good sites for cheap car rental for 6 people in Orlando. Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Could anyone tell me any good sites for cheap car rental for 6 people in Orlando. Tks

https://www.uscarhire.com

http://www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk

Both are reputable with good customer service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

redmgar wrote: »
    If so did it take much getting used to driving on the opposite side of the road?

Lap or two of the car park when you get it and it's actually handy enough BUT you will keep forgetting, you could dry for a few hours not a bother and then turn at a junction and just end up on the left!

Need to always be concentrating.

Well that was me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 GreenHills101

Does anyone have any car hire discount codes?  Looking to hire a car in france for 2 weeks and its just so expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Does anyone have any car hire discount codes?  Looking to hire a car in france for 2 weeks and its just so expensive!

If you do get anything let me know cause I'm in the same predicament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭hargo

I regularly hire a car in France and almost always use Autoeurope car hire. Sign up for the newsletter and go to their site from the email sale alert for best deal. You can book with them and cancel the original booking and rebook if it has got cheaper. Also it can sometimes be cheaper to book from the French site.
    This is a link from the french newsletter and the family size car at the moment is good value with Budget. Bonne chance! https://www.autoeurope.fr/car.cfm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,916 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

hargo wrote: »
    I regularly hire a car in France and almost always use Autoeurope car hire. Sign up for the newsletter and go to their site from the email sale alert for best deal. You can book with them and cancel the original booking and rebook if it has got cheaper. Also it can sometimes be cheaper to book from the French site.
    This is a link from the french newsletter and the family size car at the moment is good value with Budget. Bonne chance! https://www.autoeurope.fr/car.cfm

That link is about 50% more expensive for most car types than using the autoeurope.ie website

]I'm going to Montpellier for 2 weeks and thats the example I used. Prices checked today on autoeurope.ie and from the link above. See attached screenshots and and their is €160 saving on family sized car.

hargo wrote: »
    ]I'm going to Montpellier for 2 weeks and thats the example I used. Prices checked today on autoeurope.ie and from the link above. See attached screenshots and and their is €160 saving on family sized car.

The example I used for reference was for 8 days (August 3rd -11th) this year from Nice Airport, and prices across the board were 50% more expensive.

Alamo being my preferred renter is nearly double in some categories

441536.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

Quazzie wrote: »
    The example I used for reference was for 8 days (August 3rd -11th) this year from Nice Airport, and prices across the board were 50% more expensive.

441536.jpg

Hi,
    Looking at your rental quotes, some prices are in green, does this mean something different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Quazzie wrote: »

On one of those you have the Refundable / Excess box ticked and the other you don't.

Tthe main thing with car hire is the ability to be able to cancel without penalty because the prices change so often and you need to shop around to get a deal. I booked a Peugeot 208 for 21 days last June in France original price was nearly €500 and eventually got same car in sale offer for €298.
    I would also recommend using Keddy/Europcar in France if possible as twice I got caught in air traffic strikes and with this company I had no problems extending the car hire and at the same rate or cheaper.

redcup342 wrote: »
    On one of those you have the Refundable / Excess box ticked and the other you don't.
    I copped that after I screenshot. when I ticked the box it made no difference to the prices
    wall wrote: »
    Hi,
    Looking at your rental quotes, some prices are in green, does this mean something different?

The green price means it's the best available price in that grouping

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Hi

Flying with Ryanair to Barcelona and hiring car. Have three children aged 5, 6 and 8.

Rental car prices for booster seats are crazy, for 11 nights am paying a fortune. Am wondering if I am better of bringing myself but unsure what the Ryanair policy is?Seems infant car seats allowed but doubt same for older kids.

Ideally with the two youngest in particular would bring two high back boosters and not base only.

Buying the family plus deal for luggage purposes which gives 2×20 kg checked in.

What do most people do - oversize baggage, pay hire car company, or just use base only and squeeze in luggage??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Hi

Flying with Ryanair to Barcelona and hiring car. Have three children aged 5, 6 and 8.

Rental car prices for booster seats are crazy, for 11 nights am paying a fortune. Am wondering if I am better of bringing myself but unsure what the Ryanair policy is?Seems infant car seats allowed but doubt same for older kids.

Ideally with the two youngest in particular would bring two high back boosters and not base only.

Buying the family plus deal for luggage purposes which gives 2×20 kg checked in.

What do most people do - oversize baggage, pay hire car company, or just use base only and squeeze in luggage??

Booster seats aren't a problem with Ryanair either. We always bring our own. You just need to get them tagged and drop them off at the oversized baggage drop.

Car wise we've always managed with a smallish car. Fiesta/Meriva. Use wheeled holdalls instead of hard cases as they are much easier to fit in a boot. Two or more carry on bags will generally fit at the childrens feet in the back and one in the passenger footwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

my 2 ( 6 and 8 years old ) have the boostapac which is a little rucksack/ booster seat in one and they were brilliant over the midterm break just gone.
    The rucksack is small enough, but grand for an ipad/ headphones + a few books + teddy bear but not much more. The booster feature is quite good and has a tether for the seatbelt to stop it cutting the head off a child.

Its really really good should you want to travel to the airport by bus or train as then your kids are essentially carrying their own car/ booster seat on their back, and their personal belongings inside of it. Also handy then if you need to get a taxi anywhere at your holiday destination .

They travelled with Ryanair with the Boostapak and it was no issue bringing them on board even with the new regulations and they fit nicely under the seat in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Just be aware that using a booter seat only could be problematic, especially on the continent.

RSA guidelines here state; "the RSA does not recommend using booster cushions for children under 22kgs (48lbs) because they
    do not provide as much protection to the child as a high back booster seat that has head, neck and back protection"

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Safety%20for%20kids/Child%20Safety%20in%20Cars%20English.pdf

EU law has a height restriction; "Children over 1.35 m can use an adult seat belt. Those under 1.35 m must use equipment appropriate to their size and weight"

It's the "appropriate to their size and weight" that could be open to interpretation.

I booked and paid for a ford focus with Budget car rentals via carrentals.com.
    Went to the desk and to pick it up and the guy says.

Ah Mr.Brownfinger are you traveling alone?
    I am,
    Ok I'll see can I get you an American car.
    grand
    Ford fusion?
    Yea whatever,
    ok heres the keys.

Get home to an extra 160e bill from them for the "upgrade" they tricked me into taking.

Beware.

This was Seattle airport,at it all the time apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I booked and paid for a ford focus with Budget car rentals via carrentals.com.
    Went to the desk and to pick it up and the guy says.

Ah Mr.Brownfinger are you traveling alone?
    I am,
    Ok I'll see can I get you an American car.
    grand
    Ford fusion?
    Yea whatever,
    ok heres the keys.

Get home to an extra 160e bill from them for the "upgrade" they tricked me into taking.

Beware.

Did you sign something with the extra cost mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Complain. Say that you were not informed that this an upgrade with incremental cost.

Having said that, did you sign any rental / authorsation document at the counter?

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Complain. Say that you were not informed that this an upgrade with incremental cost.

Having said that, did you sign any rental / authorsation document at the counter?

I did sign of course.
    The receipt I signed was massive and the extra fees not clear .
    Also I did complain and was told tough titties!
    I can expense the cost but it's not nice being scammed like this .
    Have rented loads of cars and never had anything like this pulled.

Did you sign something with the extra cost mentioned?

I did but still it doesnt mean I wasn't scammed .
    It's clear that I was tricked and It doesn't feel good even thought I can expense the bill .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

There are a few users on tripadvisor and other review forums who have reported also being scammed by car rental companies who have used this site.

Some have even been refused car rental after paying because they refuse to buy the hugely over priced excess cover.

I have used this website regularly but I buy annual car excess insurance and refuse any upgrades offered to me, despite the hard sell many try. When they realise you're on to them, they back down very quickly.

A few weeks ago, one guy at a car rental company tried to charge me €10 because the slip of paper held in the letting identifying the car had fallen out of a very obviously broken and we'll worn keyring.

I produced a picture of the keyring which I took at the start before I rented the car (I always take pics of all scrapes, damage etc to car before driving away) and threatened to call his head office and police if he attempted to charge me. He just laughed and walked away, I reported it to that site got nothing back as expected.

Unfortunately they really don't care, as long as they get their few quid, it's up to you to watch every step.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I found Avis to be good in Newfoundland. Rented in the airport. Was ready for a fight to avoid extra charges and it was just a case of printing off some documents and handing me the keys. Even got money back as I hadn't was a bit earlier dropping the car back. I suppose there are so many branches that it depends on staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

I travel through Seatac Airport into Seattle for work all the time. I've never had this experience.

Then again, I know what the prices of the cars are in advanced and don't take anything else they try to give me.
    ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Unfortunately they really don't care, as long as they get their few quid, it's up to you to watch every step.

Exactly. The US sales culture is the upsell. They try it with everything and don't give a ****. The OP got caught out and learned the hard way. If you signed without reading, i can't see how you can come back at that.

Was the car you got worth the extra 160 in the end? I hope it was something fast!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Had a bad experience with Budget myself in Orlando 3 years ago. Flew out straight off a night shift, there was a lightening delay on the ramp, meant we got the car hours later than intended. I was so tired that I signed without reading the document clearly, which is not like me. They charged me for things like a satellite digital radio which I still don't know what it's function is. Had no luck with getting a refund, consequently I don't hire from Budget anymore.

Actually if you look at yelp, there's a significant thread relating to car hire RIP off in Orlando.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

rushfan wrote: »
    They charged me for things like a satellite digital radio which I still don't know what it's function is.

Satnav is another they love. 2nd driver, toll fees cover and other crap like that.

• Advertisement

Reati wrote:
    Satnav is another they love. 2nd driver, toll fees cover and other crap like that.

Always bring my own. I bought a European maps Garmin 8 years ago, and a North America SD card which pops in the side a few years later. Works a treat.

Advertisement