Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Vehicle Hire queries **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

I had an awful experience at Miami Airport with Alamo.

Booked via Alamo Europe, everything included, nothing extra to pay.

Landed and they were looking for an extra 100 dollars for State Liability Insurance even though it was on my voucher.

Was 12 oclock at night and the guy said I could take it or leave it, asked for a Manager and he said there was none, I said I'd come back the next day to speak to the Manager.

Did that and the Manager said as I had refused the rental they'd given it to someone else and I'd lost my money.

Got back and Alamo Germany refunded my money with an apology, apparently no the first time its happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭Glebee

Who do people use to cover Car Hire Insurance Excess?
    Cant remember who i used before. maybe it was these....https://www.carhireexcess.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Glebee wrote:
    Who do people use to cover Car Hire Insurance Excess? Cant remember who i used before. maybe it was these....

That's who I've used over the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

rushfan wrote: »
    Always bring my own. I bought a European maps Garmin 8 years ago, and a North America SD card which pops in the side a few years later. Works a treat.

Here Maps and Google maps does the job for me - fully offline maps just like a GPS!

• Advertisement

Reati wrote:
    Here Maps and Google maps does the job for me - fully offline maps just like a GPS!

Probably should have specified that I only use the satnav when I'm away foreign like! Google Maps is absolutely invaluable for research purposes too.

Reati wrote: »
    Satnav is another they love. 2nd driver, toll fees cover and other crap like that.

Ive found that most new cars you get from car hire have built in sat nav. Loads of very good map apps on phones these days that let you pre download the map data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

rushfan wrote: »
    Probably should have specified that I only use the satnav when I'm away foreign like! Google Maps is absolutely invaluable for research purposes too.

I meant Here / Google maps now have a GPS mode that you can download the maps of an entire location or country to the phone and it works fully offline like a satnav. No need for the extra gear!

Reati wrote:
    I meant Here / Google maps now have a GPS mode that you can download the maps of an entire location or country to the phone and it works fully offline like a satnav. No need for the extra gear!

I've actually used that the last two years in Lisbon and Madrid. Very useful.

Ive used this the past few trip abroad. very good and is kept updated also.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapswithme.maps.pro&hl=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Google maps can be used live in the EU on phone,roaming charges more or less gone now

Can anyone recommend car hire companies out of Bergamo, Northern Italy,have only used Hertz from there in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

General annoyance/grievance more than a question.. why the hell are child seats so expensive to include in car hire. I can understand they are bulky and need storage but if you book in advance why so expensive.

8eur a day seems to be the standard. Say ia seat is rented half the year. That's 1460 euro. What's that all about?

If I was in the business id be offering family packages with discounted rates for buggies/car seats etc. Surely a market being missed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

Looking for recommendations for car hire from Malaga airport. After reading some horror stories and the amount of companies is a mind field. Can anyone recommend a good company from their experiences. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

It's been a number of years but Helle Hollis, found them very good, they still seem to get well reviewed

http://www.hellehollis.com

Google Helle Hollis reviews also

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Hertz. Always use them and never have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Used Malagacar before, no problems. I always take out the full insurance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Always use Del Paso. Cheap and handy. As above, get the excess covered.

And take a pic of each and every panel before you drive away. The cheap places will always take a yard. The trick is not to give them an inch. Also, go for full to full on the fuel. The 'service charge' is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I was charged a huge amount for insurance after waiting over an hour to get check out for my car on arrival in Malaga from Dublin last year. If I did not pay the insurance they wanted to dock 1100 euro from my credit card, fat chance of getting that back when back in Ireland!!!!

I would not go with Goldcar again as I could have got rental in Nerja a lot cheaper and I had excess cover arranged at home which they refused to recognise. They still wanted 1100 euro up front from my credit card, fat chance of getting that back....

This happened to me before on a 3 day trip to Santiago de Compostela charged a certain amount when booking but more than doubled when I picked up the car on arrival.

The cars and service otherwise was good and nothing bad happened as I am a careful driver when abroad and I find the Spanish, during the day at least, to be sober, industrious and decent drivers, unlike some of the headers in my native Isle........

Its probably worth going with Sixt, Hertz or Avis at their rates or getting to the hotel and renting for 3-4 days rather than the full 7 days and then getting a transfer to and from the airport. I found getting into and out of Malaga a huge challenge but managed it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Goldcar are to be avoided at all costs, their name is mud in the Canaries but they still get clients usually directed from third parties, another one to avoid if you ever come across them is Orlando

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I ended up with Goldcar through a third party, luckily no issues though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

doolox wrote: »
    I was charged a huge amount for insurance after waiting over an hour to get check out for my car on arrival in Malaga from Dublin last year. If I did not pay the insurance they wanted to dock 1100 euro from my credit card, fat chance of getting that back when back in Ireland!!!!

I would not go with Goldcar again as I could have got rental in Nerja a lot cheaper and I had excess cover arranged at home which they refused to recognise. They still wanted 1100 euro up front from my credit card, fat chance of getting that back....

This happened to me before on a 3 day trip to Santiago de Compostela charged a certain amount when booking but more than doubled when I picked up the car on arrival.

The cars and service otherwise was good and nothing bad happened as I am a careful driver when abroad and I find the Spanish, during the day at least, to be sober, industrious and decent drivers, unlike some of the headers in my native Isle........

Its probably worth going with Sixt, Hertz or Avis at their rates or getting to the hotel and renting for 3-4 days rather than the full 7 days and then getting a transfer to and from the airport. I found getting into and out of Malaga a huge challenge but managed it in the end.

It's a hold on your credit card, which every company will use. Goldcar may have a bad rep but you're talking rubbish.

Hertz put a hold of €2,400 on my card recently when I rented an Audi A4. That's how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

thanks for advise folks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bernol

Hi heading to France this June and trying to book a car from airport but so hard to get through Insurance and excess details. I don't want to queue for an hour when getting there either as flight lands at 5.15 pm and most of the car rentals close at 6. Anyone any recomme rations? Tia.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Cindyss

Hello all, traveling to nerja via malaga on the 31st of may. I am looking for recommendations for a car hire company. 10 day trip. Is it worth getting excess insurance from Ireland? If so again can anyone recommend a company for that, many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I used blue insurance on the same trip but didn't have to use it so can't comment on how good they are. Went with Goldcar and despite the terrible reviews they were fine (once you're aware of the fuel admin charge you can't avoid).

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,914 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd recommend Malagacar. We've used them for years and they're very good. They're not located in the terminal, it's just outside, so they shuttle you over. They've also got this option called "full pack" which includes the insurance excess cover and also gets you ahead of the queue in the rental office. Found that very handy. Also their office is lovely and air conditioned, unlike the car hire area in the airport itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Declan1

Have hired from Malaga on many occasions. Excesses are generally very high, ive seen 3k on a few occasions so I would take out the excess insurance before you go - it will be cheaper than the product offered at the desk. Be aware that they may put a significant block on your credit card - read the small print and make sure you have sufficient credit available.

I’d recommend using a reputable company such as Sixt, Hertz or Europcar. I would personally avoid gold car, firefly and record. I’ve seen queues in excess of an hour at those desks and many an irate customer. Used gold car once and the car was in a worse condition than anything I’ve hired before or since - safe but covered in dents scratches and chips. Whoever you go with make sure all damage is documented before you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Hired a car from Hertz there a few years ago, no hard sell on the insurance (I declined, they said 'ok') and the counter clerk walked me to the car which was no distance away. Got a Skoda five door diesel, roughly the size of a Golf, it cost €15 to top it up on the way back a week later after a lot of driving.

I know the big rental companies are more expensive but when you factor in what you're spending on the fights, hotel, meals and booze, I think spending a bit more on the car hire for the luxury of not starting your holiday with a load of hassle is well worth it. Hire from one of the big boys and you're pretty much guaranteed that you will be sitting in a nice clean car within a few minutes of getting to their desk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Can reccomend Malagacar also. they're fast and efficient. More of a local touch with them too, less corporate. Go for the full insurance and you'll have nothing to worry about. I find car hire in Spain to be the worst for extra charges.

Advertisement