Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Vehicle Hire queries **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Looking to get a car for 4 days in July as part of a longer holiday. Any good experience anyone can share .
    I rent cars a lot , but somehow the usual companies seem a bit expensive and was wondering if there is any good local company , ideally would like something convertible.
    I remember doing that on the canaries for about 50 euro a day, no reservation required.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Planning a last minute break in two weeks and looking at car hire options for two completly different trips ( depending on who is coming with me).
    Problem is I don't have a credit card, just a debit card, will I be able to hire anything?

Option one, flying to Bristol airport and exploring Cornwall for a week, I'm driving and a small manual car will be perfect.

Option two, flying to Zante, Greece for a week and need a car as accommodation quite rural. Other half driving and he will want a decent car and if possible automatic.

Is anyone familiar with companies in both these locations and have I any hope with a debit card. I don't have much money on it for them to put a hold on, is there an option to lodge a cash bond or another insurance that can be taken out, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

Can anyone else confirm that you can check in the child seats free of charge on Ryanair? Anyone do this from Knock?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

dantbyhid wrote: »
    Can anyone else confirm that you can check in the child seats free of charge on Ryanair? Anyone do this from Knock?

For babies or children you are allowed to take two items free of charge and that includes buggies, prams, car seats, booster seats (with or without a back), travel cots and the likes.

Regardles of whether you are checking in baggage or not you will need to get the buggy, pram and/or seats tagged.

I would suggest you get a large, heavy duty plastic bag to put the seat(s) into particulary with seats that come apart.

You then take the tagged seats to the oversize baggage area and put them through separate from your bags which go through at the check-in area.

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Travelling-with-children#0-6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Can anyone else confirm that you can check in the child seats free of charge on Ryanair?
    elbyrneo wrote: »
    Thanks - hard to get the answer on Ryanair website

I flew recently with 2 kids (1yr, 3ry old), brought 4 pieces of child equipment free (buggy base, 2 x buggy seats & a travel cot)
    If you're unsure, the best place to get confirmation of exactly what you're allowed bring (luggage, child equipment, etc.) is the web chat on the Ryanair website. Does not seems to be a long wait and at least you have something from Ryanair you can print out if there's any confusion at the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

Thanks. My kids are 4 and 7 which is why I was/am a bit confused. I'll try and get them on chat and screen shoot the conversation or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Dr.Dre

Hi guys,

I will be flying into Faro Portugal for a week in July and am thinking about renting a car for the duration of my stay. I've never rented a car abroad before and have heard both good and bad feedback on car rental companies. There are lots of online comparison sites such as skyscanner and autoeurope that offer quotes from as little as €80 but to me this seems too good to be true, I mean is car rental generally this cheap?

Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with any specific rental companies?

Also, I assume most quotes online include some level of cover, and with that in mind I assume showing my full license at the airport will suffice when picking up the vehicle?

Apologies I am a total noob to this 😂 but any help would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Dr.Dre wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I will be flying into Faro Portugal for a week in July and am thinking about renting a car for the duration of my stay. I've never rented a car abroad before and have heard both good and bad feedback on car rental companies. There are lots of online comparison sites such as skyscanner and autoeurope that offer quotes from as little as €80 but to me this seems too good to be true, I mean is car rental generally this cheap?

Also, I assume most quotes online include some level of cover, and with that in mind I assume showing my full license at the airport will suffice when picking up the vehicle?

Apologies I am a total noob to this �� but any help would be greatly appreciated

I rent cars a lot abroad, and I go to the Algarve at least once every year. I always use Zitauto and have never had a problem. Unlike some other rental companies, they don't find mysterious dents or scratches on the car when you return it. The only issue to be aware of is that, unlike most car companies, they ask you to pay in cash on arrival and don't take a deposit on your credit card. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your point of view - it's never been an issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Hi guys,

I will be flying to Faro Portugal for a week in July and am thinking about renting a car for the duration of my stay. I've never rented a car abroad before and have heard both good and bad feedback on car rental companies. There are lots of online comparison sites such as skyscanner and autoeurope that offer quotes from as little as €80 but to me this seems too good to be true, I mean is car rental generally this cheap?

Apologies I am a total noob to this 😂 but any help would be greatly appreciated

Ryanair and AerLingus sites also offer good value.

Any of the majors like Hertz, Avis, Europcar ought to be ok. Make sure you get a fuel policy that gives you a full tank and you return it full; otherwise you'll pay much more for fuel and will get no credit for unused fuel.

3rd party insurance will be included. Damage to your own car is usually included but there is a large excess (500 to 1200) for a small car in my experience. Depending on the company, this is (like the fuel above) where they will get you. Small damage may hit you for hundreds and will be taken from your card up to the value of the excess.its crucial that you check the car with great care when you get it to ensure that all damage has been recorded on the contract. Theft insurance with a similar excess is also included.

You can buy an insurance to reduce the excess amount to zero from the hire company (and indeed you'll be pressured to buy that at the desk). Alternatively you can buy an independent excess cover from someone like carhireexcess.com for a fraction of the price. However you must use a credit card to hire and present at the dedk, otherwise if you use a debit card, they'll force you to take their cover.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Hi guys,

Apologies I am a total noob to this �� but any help would be greatly appreciated

Three important issues:

o Cars are insured for a Collision Damage Waiver. Normally, there is an excess. Let's say €1,500. If you damage the car and the bill is €3,000.... you are on the hook for the first €1,500.

If you want to reduce this excess to €Nil for total peace of mind, the likes of Ryanair's website or Cartrawler will cover you for about €5 per day. You pay for the damage and get a full reimbursement off the insurance company.

They will probably try sell you this super cover at the desk. So you have three choices.... Don't take it out, buy in advance or buy from the desk (more expensive)

o Most car rentals have unlimited kilometres. But if you pay by the kilometre, it can add up

o Photograph or video the car on departure and return. Agree pre-existing damage before and after. Some companies will discover a minor scratch and try to fleece you. If you think a scratch is minuscule back at home in Ireland, you should flag it on a rental car.

€80 for a week sounds dirt cheap. Check the T&Cs I've mentioned above. I would always tend towards the big market leaders.... But you might get lucky with a smaller operator

• Advertisement

Gravelly wrote: »
    I rent cars a lot abroad, and I go to the Algarve at least once every year. I always use Zitauto and have never had a problem. Unlike some other rental companies, they don't find mysterious dents or scratches on the car when you return it. The only issue to be aware of is that, unlike most car companies, they ask you to pay in cash on arrival and don't take a deposit on your credit card. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your point of view - it's never been an issue for me.

Sounds good. Paying cash can only be a good thing from what I've heard. I will look into them

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Ryanair and AerLingus sites also offer good value.

Any of the majors like Hertz, Avis, Europcar ought to be ok. Make sure you get a fuel policy that gives you a full tank and you return it full; otherwise you'll pay much more for fuel and will get no credit for unused fuel.

3rd party insurance will be included. Damage to your own car is usually included but there is a large excess (500 to 1200) for a small car in my experience. Depending on the company, this is (like the fuel above) where they will get you. Small damage may hit you for hundreds and will be taken from your card up to the value of the excess.its crucial that you check the car with great care when you get it to ensure that all damage has been recorded on the contract. Theft insurance with a similar excess is also included.

You can buy an insurance to reduce the excess amount to zero from the hire company (and indeed you'll be pressured to buy that at the desk). Alternatively you can buy an independent excess cover from someone like carhireexcess.com for a fraction of the price. However you must use a credit card to hire and present at the dedk, otherwise if you use a debit card, they'll force you to take their cover.

HTH

Thanks for the info. I'll certainly take photos of the car at the beginning to make sure there is no dents/scratches etc. I can't see any issue in taking up the insurance that reduces the excess to 0 if only priced at a couple of euro per day so I'll certainly look into this as well

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Three important issues:

o Cars are insured for a Collision Damage Waiver. Normally, there is an excess. Let's say €1,500. If you damage the car and the bill is €3,000.... you are on the hook for the first €1,500.

If you want to reduce this excess to €Nil for total peace of mind, the likes of Ryanair's website or Cartrawler will cover you for about €5 per day. You pay for the damage and get a full reimbursement off the insurance company.

They will probably try sell you this super cover at the desk. So you have three choices.... Don't take it out, buy in advance or buy from the desk (more expensive)

o Most car rentals have unlimited kilometres. But if you pay by the kilometre, it can add up

o Photograph or video the car on departure and return. Agree pre-existing damage before and after. Some companies will discover a minor scratch and try to fleece you. If you think a scratch is minuscule back at home in Ireland, you should flag it on a rental car.

€80 for a week sounds dirt cheap. Check the T&Cs I've mentioned above. I would always tend towards the big market leaders.... But you might get lucky with a smaller operator

Thanks. Reducing the excess to 0 is something I'll certainly have to look into for total piece of mind. Can I ask have you had any experience by going through Ryanair? Their rates seem decent also.

Thanks. Reducing the excess to 0 is something I'll certainly have to look into for total piece of mind. Can I ask have you had any experience by going through Ryanair? Their rates seem decent also.

I've used Ryanair twice. They would have good rates with the rental companies. They also offer the super cover.

Ryanair are just acting as a facilitator as there's a commission for them. Also, it is end-to-end in a few simple clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I always rent direct from the Rental Company and do not use Brokers.

Best is to become one of their registered members. Advantage is that you are treated as one of their customers and you will likely get an easy upgrade without asking. Also if they have your credit card on the profile, the deposit will be low and will not block a large amount on your credit card that you may wish to use to spend while on holiday.

Best for me are Hertz and a close second Enterprise. The deposit for Hertz in Portugal is 200 EUR when you are a member.

All rental companies in Europe need to include collision damage waiver (CDW) and Theft Protection in their rates to EU Citizens. They are still free to set an excess of their choosing though and this is generally between 850-1500 for standard cards and anything up to 5000 for a luxury car. When you are not one of their members, they will block the excess amount instead of the lower member deposit.

Also.....

If you have a Sat Nav in Ireland, bring it across. Most of them will have European mapping. It's a godsend.

Drive right, look left (junctions and roundabouts)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jc11

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Thanks - hard to get the answer on Ryanair website so thats great to know its free on child ticket and not just infant. Maybe i will just bring the base units too, or one with the back for the shorter of the boys. cheers.

Just messaged ryanair on facebook about this the other day, they said free of charge just leave it up to the counter at checkin and they tag it and send it tru to place, collect at far side at baggage collection

Yes, they told me free of charge just check in at luggage drop.. flying from dublin but sure its the same across the board.. they answer pretty quick on facebook messenger if you have it maybe just ask for clarification re Knock

Anyone have good experience with goldcar?! Booked car rental with them from biarritz airport weds week, paid in full.. booked through ryanair and have excess insurance. Nerves gone now reading all the reviews!!

jc11 wrote: »
    Anyone have good experience with goldcar?! Booked car rental with them from biarritz airport weds week, paid in full.. booked through ryanair and have excess insurance. Nerves gone now reading all the reviews!!

A) make sure you check the car inside and out thoroughly for any damage or things missing (eg. Spare wheel / toolkit) and compare it to the contract. Take photos.
    B) make sure you understand their fuel policy and comply with it fully. If you've gone with a deal that includes a tank of fuel that you can return empty, you'll have to pay for that up front.
    C) use a credit card at the desk, not a debit card. They will block out a charge on you card to cover the excess amounts for CDW and theft as well as fuel. Don't allow yourself to be pressured into buying their extras at the desk.

Once youre prepared and do the right things, and as you have the excess insurance, you should be ok.

Enjoy the hols.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

bigar wrote: »
    I always rent direct from the Rental Company and do not use Brokers.

Best is to become one of their registered members. Advantage is that you are treated as one of their customers and you will likely get an easy upgrade without asking. Also if they have your credit card on the profile, the deposit will be low and will not block a large amount on your credit card that you may wish to use to spend while on holiday.

Best for me are Hertz and a close second Enterprise. The deposit for Hertz in Portugal is 200 EUR when you are a member.

All rental companies in Europe need to include collision damage waiver (CDW) and Theft Protection in their rates to EU Citizens. They are still free to set an excess of their choosing though and this is generally between 850-1500 for standard cards and anything up to 5000 for a luxury car. When you are not one of their members, they will block the excess amount instead of the lower member deposit.

You need to be careful with SIXT.

The default insurance is third party only with unlimited excess (upto the value of the car), you need to tick the box when going through the rental process otherwise you end up with a nasty surprise when picking up.

As in last time my excess was 28,000 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    A) make sure you check the car inside and out thoroughly for any damage or things missing (eg. Spare wheel / toolkit) and compare it to the contract. Take photos.
    B) make sure you understand their fuel policy and comply with it fully. If you've gone with a deal that includes a tank of fuel that you can return empty, you'll have to pay for that up front.
    C) use a credit card at the desk, not a debit card. They will block out a charge on you card to cover the excess amounts for CDW and theft as well as fuel. Don't allow yourself to be pressured into buying their extras at the desk.

Once youre prepared and do the right things, and as you have the excess insurance, you should be ok.

Enjoy the hols.

This is good advice as you need to watch out for them. Personally I wouldn't use Goldcar again in a fit. Screwed me last year for a tiny scratch underneath the boot sill which you could not see unless you opened the boot. The usual external inspection before taking the car wouldn't have shown it up and I am convinced it was there all along as I only had hand luggage and barely used the boot. Thankfully, my excess insurance policy covered it but it left a bad taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Any place to rent a Car in Birmingham that will take a debit card?

I see posted above not to use a debit card, why?

Use these guys for excess - https://www.carhireexcess.ie/ - or buy it from company itself?

What happens if you don't buy any excess at all and you have a tip?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Kuva wrote: »
    Any place to rent a Car in Birmingham that will take a debit card?

What happens if you don't buy any excess at all and you have a tip?

You are liable for the excess , which is on average 1000E

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Misssally

I am travelling to the UK next week and plan to hire a car. I only have a credit card with a limit of €500, I noticed on a lot of the broker websites put a hold on your card for excess of £1000-2000, any advice on how to avoid this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We are in Greece at the moment with a Hire Car from a Greek Rental Company. My Husband scratched the back bumper (white body-coloured) off a wall. There is a noticeable scratch.
    The Excess on CDW is €900. The Rental Company did not block any amount on the Credit Card as we have hired from them before with no issues. But they said that they would take the full €900 If the car was damaged on return.
    We did not pay for FDW. We do have Excess Insurance.

What will happen now ? Do the Rental Company take the €900 and then we claim back from the Excess Cover ?

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We are in Greece at the moment with a Hire Car from a Greek Rental Company. My Husband scratched the back bumper (white body-coloured) off a wall. There is a noticeable scratch.
    The Excess on CDW is €900. The Rental Company did not block any amount on the Credit Card as we have hired from them before with no issues. But they said that they would take the full €900 If the car was damaged on return.

What will happen now ? Do the Rental Company take the €900 and then we claim back from the Excess Cover ?

If they're reputable and being honest they will charge for damage up to €900 plus an admin fee. The amount will depend on the extent of the damage.

If they charge you, then you'll need to pay and you will submit a claim to the excess insurance company. Take plenty of photos as the insurance company will need them to process the claim, and be satisfied that the car hire company is charging a reasonable amount for the repair.

Don't sweat it, enjoy the rest of your holiday . its great that ye had the foresight to get the excess insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Under EU law they cannot automatically deduct anything from your credit card unless you agree. They must assess the damage (whether upon return or using a formalised assessment process) and tell you the cost. You are then obliged to pay it or, your enter into an argument as regards the real repair cost - you will need to evidence why you disagree - which will put you at a disadvantage as you are in Ireland and car is in Greece.

Best to agree and pay a repair amount when you return the car.

Without seeing the damage (and not being in the motor repair trade) I have no idea whether the damage will be at or exceed €900 but for a bumper scratch as you describe it, its hard to imagine it could.

If they offer you a cost on return ask them how they have calculated that figure and if you are happy, go with it and put it behind you.

As previous poster said if you have excess insurance cover make sure you get a formal report of the damage from hire company and a receipt - even with insurance for the excess make sure you settle as cheap as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I suppose what I want to know is having CDW with Excess of €900 - does that mean that the Maximum the Rental Company can take is the €900 even if they assess the damage to be more?

And then we recoup the money taken from Excess Ins Company.

Thanks for the advice on taking photos and getting paperwork and Receipts etc.

• Advertisement

I suppose what I want to know is having CDW with Excess of €900 - does that mean that the Maximum the Rental Company can take is the €900 even if they assess the damage to be more?

And then we recoup the money taken from Excess Ins Company.

Thanks for the advice on taking photos and getting paperwork and Receipts etc.

Yes and yes.

Advertisement