Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Vehicle Hire queries **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

For Collision Damage Waiver
    up to $100,000 (Worldwide Only) ?
    Unless Cover up to €7,500 means the same but only up to 7,5K.
    I'm asking as this is my first time renting a car and taking hire excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

loki7777 wrote: »
    For Collision Damage Waiver
    up to $100,000 (Worldwide Only) ?
    Unless Cover up to €7,500 means the same but only up to 7,5K.
    I'm asking as this is my first time renting a car and taking hire excess.

European Cover is whats needed for European hires.

Another question.
    I don't have credit card so can i rent the car in my name and my partner can pay with her credit card as only i would be driven hired car?
    And is Locauto(Italy) any good - as i did choose enterprise(but then it looks like they are using Locauto).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

loki7777 wrote: »
    Another question.
    I don't have credit card so can i rent the car in my name and my partner can pay with her credit card as only i would be driven hired car?
    And is Locauto(Italy) any good - as i did choose enterprise(but then it looks like they are using Locauto).

Don't think you can use your partner's card if the rental is in your name. You'd have to rent the car in your name and have yourself as an additional driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

I hire cars frequently in Italy (in-laws have relocated). I would avoid Locauto at all costs, I've personally experienced hell with them as well as multiple accounts from others. Hertz are the most straight forward, no-nonsense hire crowd in my experience. You pay a little more but generally you get a nicer car and no messing (Locauto will go over the car on return and they will find something!). Recently I rented with Joyrent because of availability and found them alright but the handover was a bit OTT at Bergamo.

• Advertisement

What about this https://www.autoeurope.com/rent-a-car-with-a-debit-card/ they stated that you can rent with debit card with "Use our easy 3-step booking engine at the top of this page " but then at payment they want credit card details when i try to rent with hertz?

I noticed that the only option would be Hertz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

https://car-hire.ryanair.com/en/book?age=30&clientID=735116&ct=MP&countryID=ES&curr=EUR&elID=1211533230986506&pickupCountryCode=ES&pickupDateTime=2018-08-17T13%3A00&residenceID=IE&returnCountryCode=ES&returnDateTime=2018-08-31T13%3A00&pickupID=2492&pickupName=Malaga%20-%20Airport&returnID=2492&returnName=Malaga%20-%20Airport#/vehicle/1213752460

Almost time to book a car.

Am considering the above.

I want pickup at terminal, full to full fuel, and air conditioning.

This seems like a good price.

It requires an €1100 deposit on the credit card.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks.

D.

ps. Am I blind, or does it not give the name of the car hire company in the above link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Dinarius wrote: »
    https://car-hire.ryanair.com/en/book?age=30&clientID=735116&ct=MP&countryID=ES&curr=EUR&elID=1211533230986506&pickupCountryCode=ES&pickupDateTime=2018-08-17T13%3A00&residenceID=IE&returnCountryCode=ES&returnDateTime=2018-08-31T13%3A00&pickupID=2492&pickupName=Malaga%20-%20Airport&returnID=2492&returnName=Malaga%20-%20Airport#/vehicle/1213752460

Almost time to book a car.

Am considering the above.

I want pickup at terminal, full to full fuel, and air conditioning.

This seems like a good price.

It requires an €1100 deposit on the credit card.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks.

D.

ps. Am I blind, or does it not give the name of the car hire company in the above link?

RECORDGO

k123456 wrote: »
    RECORDGO

Thanks.

Quick search on Trustpilot and TripAdvisor shows they have uniformly appalling reviews.

Back to the drawing board, I think. (Though most people only go on the web to complain, admittedly.)

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

some decent discounts here for annual car hire excess insurance
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

I'm looking at car hire from Alicante Airport (for 7 days) through DoyouSpain and am getting this
    Ford Focus 5 door A/C ... or similar

55manual

> Pick Up City: Alicante Airport - Spain
    > Pick Up Date: 20/08/2018
    > Return Date: 27/08/2018 (7 days)
    > Insurance: CDW and TP with 1,100 € excess
    > Car Rental: 8.81 €
    Total: 8.81 € Approx. £7.53
    Only 1.26 € a day

Special Offer: 10% discount on your insurance
    Get Total Peace of Mind and avoid costly excess charges

What exactly is the insurance excess?

It’s the maximum amount you’d have to pay if there was damage to the car. If you were unlucky enough to get a bump or scrape to the car – or if there was any other type of damage – then you’d be liable up to the amount of the excess.

If you don’t want to take that risk, you can protect yourself right now for only 6.95 € day - that’s just 48.65 € for your whole rental.

That’s much cheaper than the 137.70 € it would cost you to buy insurance on collection with the supplier, DICKMANNS.

And you’ll also be covered for:

Damage to tyres
    Damage to windscreens or glass
    Damage to the undercarriage
    Damage to locks
    Vehicle key replacement due to theft or loss
    Towing charges as a result of your rental car being in an accident

Yes, I want full coverage with 0% risk
    Only 48.65 € for your whole rental
    Your excess is fully protected
    No need for any additional insurance

Ì think it is fuel Full/Full too.

Is there anything else I need to be concerned with ? Will Dickmanns get sticky because I take the DoyouSpain insurance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Hi.
    I am visiting Portugal ( Porto area ) later in the year and am planning to hire a car for a few days.
    Online research on tripadvisor etc warn of numerous companies that are to be avoided at all costs. Stories about rip offs , extra charges , hard selling of extra insurance and various ways of leeching extra money from tourists are rife.:eek:
    SO . My question is . Has anyone recently had dealings with a car hire company in Portugal which they could recommend.
    Thanks.
    Blackvalley

• Registered Users Posts: 68,754 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Used Hertz there twice twice, car is photographed in and out for verifying issues. Had a scuff under the fair use policy (supermarket carpark damage allowance I've seen it refered to as) with no issues

All the cheap options and brokers are dodgy as hell in Iberia really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Greg81

Used Budget a month ago in Porto. No problem with the car.

Booked through the www.arguscarhire.com

Do all car hire companies take a security deposit against accidental damage from your credit card?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,754 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do all car hire companies take a security deposit against accidental damage from your credit card?

Thanks.

D.

Pretty much, or a hefty cash deposit or a requirement to take the highest level insurance paid in advance. Do NOT use a debit card for this function as the actual cash will be locked in your current account for a prolonged period

• Registered Users Posts: 25,431 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you don't buy their rip-off fully comp. insurance, yes.

But with a credit card, it's an invisible transaction, all they're doing is ring-fencing some of your credit limit. You won't see it on your next bill, assuming there's no damage and they unlock the money when you return the car.

It's what virtually all hotels do when you check-in. In the case of hotels, it serves the purposes of protecting them in case you blow your credit card limit while on holiday and then can't pay the hotel bill when checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

Dinarius wrote:

No, found one that dorsn't, full insurance is in price quoted, so while their price quote might look a bit higher than other 'special' offers, there's no hidden surprises: luzcar.

bladespin wrote: »
    No, found one that dorsn't, full insurance is in price quoted, so while their price quote might look a bit higher than other 'special' offers, there's no hidden surprises: luzcar.

Not knocking that arrangement but it does mean that if you have your own excess insurance, you'll be paying on the double for fully comp.

coylemj wrote: »
    Not knocking that arrangement but it does mean that if you have your own excess insurance, you'll be paying on the double for fully comp.

No idea what you mean???

But if you already have excess covered then one of the others should be fine, as long as they accept your excess cover.

Luzcar just offer straight carhire with proper insurance in the price, no hidden extras etc, don't have to have a credit card to get the car etc.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »

No idea what you mean???

But if you already have excess covered then one of the others should be fine, as long as they accept your excess cover.

Luzcar just offer straight carhire with proper insurance in the price, no hidden extras etc, don't have to have a credit card to get the car etc.

No idea what you mean???

Your second statement suggests that you do ....

I can see that for debit card holders, it solves the problem of having a large amount of their holiday money confiscated (if you decline the insurance) but it still means that you are paying for their insurance which is usually terrible value.

If you have a credit card and rent from the big companies, you can simply decline the insurance. It does mean that you are carrying the risk but I would rarely drive at night when on holidays and am well accustomed to driving on the right so I'm prepared to take the risk.

coylemj wrote:
    Your second statement suggests that you do ....

I took a guess.

Tbh I like having the cover, with lc it's much, much cheaper than the 'added' extra the other companies hit you with.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm going to California and wants to rent a car in LAX for 2 weeks. Someone told me to just rent a very small one and then negotiate with them at the desk for an upgrade. IS there any other tips on getting a good deal/upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm going to California and wants to rent a car in LAX for 2 weeks. Someone told me to just rent a very small one and then negotiate with them at the desk for an upgrade. IS there any other tips on getting a good deal/upgrade?

That's not very good advice. They're only interested in selling upgrades if they have excess stock. If you arrive and they're heavily booked you're stuck with a small car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

If you have hotel status, a lot of the rental companies will match it.

http://www.statusmatcher.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,935 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Book the 2nd or 3rd smallest car type.

If there are none there w h3n you arrive you cannot be downgraded.

Used Drivy in Spain.

Cost a bit more than other people providers, but worth it for me.

No queuing, no dealing with anyone at either end of the hire. Their App is brilliant. Painless.

Would use them again.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Zascar wrote: »

Best way to get an upgrade is just to be very nice at the counter but it will come down mostly to luck. Also remember cars are bigger there so a small in USA would be our mid size.

Many rental car companies also let you pick your own car for whatever class you order so you can check them all out before deciding on what to drive away with.

I travel and rent cars in USA (and Europe) a lot and always use Nova who are based in Kerry but you can book cars with the anywhere and always seems to have the best price and I always get nice cars. https://www.novacarhire.com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Best way to get an upgrade is just to be very nice at the counter but it will come down mostly to luck. Also remember cars are bigger there so a small in USA would be our mid size.

Many rental car companies also let you pick your own car for whatever class you order so you can check them all out before deciding on what to drive away with.

I travel and rent cars in USA (and Europe) a lot and always use Nova who are based in Kerry but you can book cars with the anywhere and always seems to have the best price and I always get nice cars. https://www.novacarhire.com.

Nova is a consolidator, rather than a car-rental company per. se. They'll offer more or less the same set of rental company offerings as are offered by Autoeurope, Cartrawler etc. I use the latter two all the time, but will certainly try Nova next time.

Like all the consolidators, you need to watch the detail of the vehicle being offered, identifying:

- Company actually doing the hire (steering clear of Goldcar and suchlike- After some near misses, I've tended towards Hertz in the last few years as, generally, they're more professional and forgiving, although I know there are exceptions also, as I found in Bristol and Berlin )
    - Fuel Policy
    - CDW and Theft Protection policy
    - Allowable "Supermarket ding" size
    - etc.

Don't go anywhere without a car hire excess policy or you'll pay a high premium for similar cover at the desk.

HTH, and good luck

Advertisement