Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Vehicle Hire queries **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

thebiglad wrote: »
    Hire cars will typically come with legally required third party insurance cover - if you damage third party property, you are insured. Typically they do not come with protection for the vehicle from either theft/accidental damage or if they do then just as you home policy does, they will contain an excess - in differentiation of your home policy this excess can easily exceed €1k. You have the options to reduce it to €0 by purchasing additional cover (excess waiver) - this can be from the car hire company directly (often quite expensive) or from an online company - at €3 per day or an annual policy.

If you buy an online policy to cover the excess then the car hire company will not recognise it - the beneficiary of that policy is you, not them so it provides them with no cover nor guarantee of payment in the event of damage

2 questions really

1) Blocking off credit card - unless you take the full excess waiver insurance the car hire company will block off an amount equivalent to the excess they charge on the policy plus possibly a refuelling fee. Taking out a policy with any company other than them and you will not get around this - they want to be sure if there is any damage to the vehicle they can recover it.

2) Excess waiver insurance - as sold by carhireexcess.ie etc - definitely good value compared to the counter products but you are required to settle any valid claim with the car hire company and then claim back from the insurer for your outlay.

Finally when collecting the car check it carefully (in good light) - check it against the vehicle condition report you will be given and record and bring to the attention of the hire company any additional damages - check the alloy wheels carefully for scratches too. Take photos of all damage.

Do not accept any Personal Accident or Personal effects cover - this is expensive and covered by your travel insurance.

If you are involved in an accident be sure you know the local procedures - i.e. must you call the police, what is the claim notification process for the hire company - again, if in an accident make sure you get lots of photos.

Thanks! All my questions answered, the time you took to reply in such detail is very much appreciated. ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭blackvalley

tony glenn wrote: »
    I'm planning to hire a car for a week in Portugal. I haven't hired for a long time, and I'm reading all these scare stories about how having a block on the credit card for a huge amount in case of a scratch or dent etc.
    Can someone please explain the various options regarding insurance cover on the car hire websites?
    I just want to hire a car for a week and not worry about paying a huge amount later for a mysterious scratch. What's the name of the add-on cover that will prevent end of hire problems?
    Thanks!

You have probably been there and back by now but if not have a look at my previous post which was just before your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

tony glenn wrote: »
    I'm planning to hire a car for a week in Portugal. I haven't hired for a long time, and I'm reading all these scare stories about how having a block on the credit card for a huge amount in case of a scratch or dent etc.
    Can someone please explain the various options regarding insurance cover on the car hire websites?
    I just want to hire a car for a week and not worry about paying a huge amount later for a mysterious scratch. What's the name of the add-on cover that will prevent end of hire problems?
    Thanks!

Are you flying into Faro and if so try these folks. I rented a car from them and they justed wanted cash and a photo of my license (no cc!).

https://www.zitauto.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Anyone got any experience of using Turo in the USA (LA area)?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sarah1916

Myself and my husband plan to rent a car for the first time ever for our holiday in Italy in May.

I always seem to hear of nightmare stories in relation to car rental abroad and I was wondering if any fellow board members have any experience they could share so that we don't follow in the same footsteps.

Excess, insurance, petrol/diesel extra costs etc. come to mind.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

General rule is: if the rate is way lower than the competitors, they will probably catch you on a fuel scam or bill you for scratches that were already there when you picked up the car. Refuse their insurance but if you want to be covered for accidental damage (when you are liable for an excess of up to a few hundred euros), take out an excess policy before you go. You still have to pay them for the damage (up to the excess) but can claim off your own policy when you get home.

I posted this yesterday over in Commuting and Transport, see post #9 ........

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057942234

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fiverfriday

Go with a known company. I've used Alamo/Dollar/Thrifty/Hertz/Enterprise before and have had no problems.

I have always used the Full to Full Fuel tank policy. Basically you've to Fill the tank before you drop it back. Usually cheaper.

Don't get a car that restricts your mileage.

Decide if you need a sat nav or not. If you do, can you use your phone (data etc) wherever your going. Sometimes it's invaluable.

I usually use the likes of rentalcars.com and their cars usually come with a collision damage waiver. I've never bought extra cover. They've told me if it's a mark smaller than the top of your thumb it doesn't matter. Again, never had an issue with it.

When collecting your car- do a walk around check of outside and inside before you leave. Any issues tell the agent. Get inside and make sure you know where everything is and how to use them. Lights being a big one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Inspect the car on pick up.Take photos at start and when handing it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Full to full fuel policy is the norm but be warned if you return a car that is not full (less the fuel it takes from nearest petrol station of course) you WILL be charged a lot more extra per litre, as in 4 or 5 times the going rate in whatever country you are in.

Also with the sat nav they charge a hefty daily rate for it but I've never opted for one and never yet got a car that didn't have one fitted.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭banana_bear

Decide if you need a sat nav or not. If you do, can you use your phone (data etc) wherever your going. Sometimes it's invaluable.

I agree on all your points and would like to add something here: For 11.99€ (Europe) or 19.99€ (World) you can get lifetime map updates for Sygic (a decent offline navigation software which is available for Android and iOS). Pay that once and you'll have a sat nav in your pocket for the rest of your life (or until Sygic kicks the bucket). Download the maps at home and you won't have to use your data abroad.

Sat navs in rental cars are very expensive (and portable sat navs are mostly rubbish anyway), you'll probably pay more than 11.99 for renting a sat nav for one or two days.

Edit: Regarding "Full to full" fuel policy: "Full" means that the fuel gauge is at maximum level. They're not going to take a closer look than that. Usually you can drive a good bit before the fuel gauge starts to drop, so if you fill up to the brim 50km before dropping the car off, you should be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Check the windscreen for cracks or chips. Including under the wipers. Not many people do, and glass cover is usually not included with the basic insurance, including the major companies.

I always use avis. I book as far out as I can using their avis.com website (global one, not the Irish one). Google for discount codes, there is usually a 20% one knocking around. When you book on that website you do not need to put in any card information. Then I check the price every few days and just cancel the original booking and do a new one if cheaper. Usually get the car for half of the first price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Download Here maps or something similar that can be used offline

Go Full to full

Don't use Goldcar

• Registered Users Posts: 29,208 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Edit: Regarding "Full to full" fuel policy: "Full" means that the fuel gauge is at maximum level. They're not going to take a closer look than that. Usually you can drive a good bit before the fuel gauge starts to drop, so if you fill up to the brim 50km before dropping the car off, you should be good.

Could this be considered a little immoral, and possibly risky, if they're caught out, they might get charged excessively? Why not fill up close to the drop off point, and be on your way?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,980 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I agree on all your points and would like to add something here: For 11.99€ (Europe) or 19.99€ (World) you can get lifetime map updates for Sygic (a decent offline navigation software which is available for Android and iOS). Pay that once and you'll have a sat nav in your pocket for the rest of your life (or until Sygic kicks the bucket). Download the maps at home and you won't have to use your data abroad.

I've both Sygic and Google maps. I don't notice any difference between the free Google or paid Sygic. Once you download the maps Google is as good as the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,980 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Could this be considered a little immoral, and possibly risky, if they're caught out, they might get charged excessively? Why not fill up close to the drop off point, and be on your way?

Fuel around airports is more expensive because they have a captive market. It does not make any difference to the next renter as they just replace the fuel they used.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Del2005 wrote: »
    Fuel around airports is more expensive because they have a captive market. It does not make any difference to the next renter as they just replace the fuel they used.

Of course it makes a difference to the next renter if they get a car that is less than full and return it full.

A smaller car will show if it is 50 km less than full, why bother trying to save a couple of euro to risk being charged 4 or 5 times that?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭amber2

Just came across this thread as currently looking for rental offers for upcoming trip. Anyone who has axa insurance, sign up to My Axa which gives discounts for Enterprise & Alamo. May be of use to someone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

A number of insurance companies offer car excess insurance for a fee. It's highly recommended and always get cheaper than the excess charge offered by rental companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Returning full - keep the receipt from the petrol station just in case you need it when returning the car or down the line

Get excess insurance before you go but be aware the rental company may want to block off a few grand on your credit card if you decline their excess insurance (carhireexcess.ie)

Check the reviews for the rental company online, many have terrible reputations for ripping people off

Use a reputable company - I've used AutoEurope (they are an agency) in the past, good prices any easy to deal with when the rental company tried to pull a fast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

There is some website that I used for excess insurance. There is probably better but I went with Irish car hire excess dot com or something along the lines, too lazy to look up the mail now, easy to find. You pay €35 or so for a whole year and immediately all that worrying about someone else's scrape is forgotten about.

To be fair its a long time since some rental company has tried to screw me over something like this but for peace of mind its worth the €35. After all its not entirely unthinkable that one might put a scratch in it oneself what with different car, different driving culture, other side of the road, packed beach resorts etc.
    Its a gazillion times cheaper than what the rental companies offer themselves for an excess waiver. You could pay €35 per day with them.

But bear in mind with excess insurance like that it works in a reimbursement fashion. So if something happened you could be down that money for 2 to 4 weeks until your claim is processed.

After that I simply go for deals through the normal channels but go for the established big rental companies like Sixt, Hertz etc. They don't bother trying to mess you around. I rarely pay more than €30 or €35 per day for the car, often get unexpected upgrades and the cars are always new(ish) and decent.

Only other thing to take note of is that regardless of excess insurance rental companies usually 'pre-allocate' money on your credit card for the excess for the duration. So you'd want to have an extra credit card handy or a biggish limit just for the purpose of renting. You don't want to use a card that has a low limit or is iffy on the balance or that you rely on for other things during that holiday. Could be easily 1500 or 2k that they 'block' on your card until you return the car.

• Advertisement

Could this be considered a little immoral, and possibly risky, if they're caught out, they might get charged excessively?

Immoral is in the eye of the beholder, you have to decide that yourself. Keep in mind that you have no idea how full the car is when you pick it up, either.

Why not fill up close to the drop off point, and be on your way?

Because it can be a pain to try and find the closest petrol station to the airport, especially when you're in a rush.

I don't try to save a few cents at someone elses expense with this, but I also don't sweat to try and find the closest petrol station to the airport as possible anymore. As soon as I'm within a certain range to the drop off point I will brim the tank and be done with it. I don't want to have to go out of my way to fill up the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,208 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Immoral is in the eye of the beholder, you have to decide that yourself. Keep in mind that you have no idea how full the car is when you pick it up, either.

I'd class it as slightly immoral, as someone will eventually pick up the tab, but I do get where you re coming from in regards being in a rush etc. But I think it's best to be mindful of other users, and to be aware, if you're willing to play the game, be willing to be played

• Registered Users Posts: 23,477 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sat navs in rental cars are very expensive (and portable sat navs are mostly rubbish anyway), you'll probably pay more than 11.99 for renting a sat nav for one or two days.

Or just download here maps and you have free maps and an excellent system.

Bring your own car seats. Airlines carry them for free. If you kids are old enough for boosters. You can get decent ones in synths for about 12 euro that you can leave behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Just one last note - dont bother trying to play games with petrol btw. I'm on holidays, I dont have the mind to create a worry over an extra tenner, life is too short for that. I get the car full and fill her up last station before the airport, never any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Just on the maps thing. You don't need to pay any company for maps. Google maps actually allows you to download maps to be used offline within the Google maps app.

You select the area you want - depending on the memory in your phone you can choose as much as you'd like - don't pay any company for them just download from Google a day or two before heading off. After 3-6 months it asks you to download them again if you want to keep them.

Del2005 wrote: »

Not much, say 4 cent with 50 litres that’s just 2 euro. And if you are outside Europe you might only be looking at petroleum being 40c a litre.

cloneslad wrote: »
    Just on the maps thing. You don't need to pay any company for maps. Google maps actually allows you to download maps to be used offline within the Google maps app.

You select the area you want - depending on the memory in your phone you can choose as much as you'd like - don't pay any company for them just download from Google a day or two before heading off. After 3-6 months it asks you to download them again if you want to keep them.

Google maps offline is very poor and limits to something like 50 km^2 , use Here and download the full country.

But I think it's best to be mindful of other users

I am mindful of others. I am receiving a car that is >= 90% full, and I am returning a car that is 90% full. Those are the rules. That's why I'm pointing out that "full" doesn't mean "you couldn't put a mouses fart in there anymore" but "fuel gauge at the max".

Otherwise, where do you draw the line? What if you fill up the car 5km away from the airport, do you push it back? Do you bring a jerry can and top the tank up again at the airport?

if you're willing to play the game, be willing to be played

That doesn't make sense. Even if you are the most noble person and actually fill up the car after you parked it at rental car returns (which of course is an over the top, made up scenario), the next time you rent you will still end up with a car that is only "full to the top of the fuel gauge" and not "full to the brim".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,353 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

use the big brands i usually use hertz,europecar or avis in the uk, wouldnt use green motion (dodgy practices lots of complaints off airport premises)

used hertz in poland last summer and great even though we drove from baltic coast to belarus border and back cross country, outside of car was filthy no problem.

i picked up a europe garmin sat nav with perpetual map updates for 40 quid in aldi very handy.

i have excess insurance with AIG but (touch wood ) never used it !

• Advertisement

Be sure you have enough on your credit card to cover a deposit.
    I recently sway in the Middle East and had a car booked with hertz but couldn’t take it as my card was maxed out after buying presents and booking hotels etc. So I couldn’t thaw the car even after offering them a cash deposit or debit card.
    Europcar gave me car using a debit card.

Advertisement